Five Takeaways: Bonnies Fall to Canisius in Buffalo Saturday

Jack Milko

BUFFALO, N.Y. – In a back-and-forth game where neither team had a lead larger than single digits, the Canisius Golden Griffins prevailed over the Bonnies in this historic matchup. These Little Three rivals needed overtime to settle the score, but Canisius made the big shots to seal the victory, 84-to-80 at the Koessler Center.
Here are Jack Milko’s Five Takeaways from Buffalo:
1. The Little Three Never Disappoints:  Saturday’s matchup between the Bonnies and the Griffs was the 170th meeting between these two schools. This game, a rivalry dating back to 1920, featured 14 lead changes and nine ties. The momentum seemed to shift after each possession in the Koessler Center, especially down the stretch. Bona had a six-point lead with under eight minutes to go, but the Griffs battled back to tie it at 57 with 5:47 remaining. Canisius had a chance to win the game in the closing seconds, but the Griffs turned it over with just 1.4 seconds to go. The Bonnies subsequently missed a...

Continue reading...

Since there's no official game thread I'll just throw my thoughts here:

Lots of things that weren't great that will (hopefully!) sort themselves with time as confidence, cohesion and a feel for the offense and the game grows. In the meantime:

-It's only one game, but coupled with a D3 no show, Flower lack of confidence on the offensive end is a concern
-Scoring the ball, especially from deep, on a consistent basis may be painful this year
-I was not a fan of down the stretch putting all chips on Venning's shoulder at the 5. AM had a nice game and is a better match with a big like Fritz. It showed, too. 2 straight late possessions up 4, Fritz got 4 freebies to cut the lead to 2 after torching Venning off the dribble.
-The usage of Ferrell is puzzling. I understand he had foul trouble, and fouls 2 and 3 were both Schmidt cardinal sin type of fouls. Hill did fine, but not so much to the point where Ferrell seeing no time in the final 18 of regulation made sense. Ferrell has clear offensive upside. At stagnant stretches mixing it up with someone of his abilities could have sparked some change.
-On the subject of Ferrell I also hope we're not seeing him be pigeonholed to a 4 only spot. Unless I'm judging off too small a sample size he seems to have the tools to rotate at the 3. Perhaps some with more knowledge of practices and scrimmages knows otherwise.

Last edited:
This was one of those losses we all knew was coming at some point early on. They never looked great on either end of the floor but almost got the win anyway. The offense looked so strange. It seemed the best option was Melluok at the foul line and beating his man off the dribble. I was impressed with his game. We can harp on things all we want but the bottom line is they didnt play great and still should have won. I hate losing these games to shitty MAAC schools on the road. Its time to put an end to them once and for all.

I was also a little miffed by Farell. He scores 5 in the first minute and then disappears. Yea he had some fouls...
When Luc and Banks struggle like they did, we will have a really tough time winning against anybody, at least for awhile.
I still think this team will be a lot better later in the season and for now we have to deal with these up and down games.

I dont have stats to back this up but it felt like they had 0 transition points. I can think of 1 Luc layup. I also cannot think of one dunk from the game. I expected them to be a little more active defensively than this. On to the Jackrabbits...

Back