December update 3-2, 8-5 overall

RamHoops

As we enter the new year, we can look back at a productive non-conference schedule as well as the A-10 opener VS. LaSalle.

Overall, it was a very good off season. The schedule strength picked up in December with St. John's & U of Miami at Barclay's center. The team proved to be very resilient in both contests and stayed competitive throughout. Ice cold 3 pt shooting doomed them vs Miami going 8-28 (21.1%) from behind the arc. In each game, when the team was falling back, they went on a scoring run and got right back in it. It is a resilient bunch. A-10 play started in late Dec with a win vs. LaSalle, which was the first opening A-10 win in the 26 years Fordham has been in the conference. At one point in the second half, we were down 11 pts to LaSalle and went on a tear to go up 11. That has been a microcosm of the season thus far.

Individually, scoring remains balanced , with Dayne, Jr (16.8 ppg)good for 4th in the A-10, Quisenberry (16.5 ppg) and Ohams (14.5 ppg). Chuba still is averaging a double double with 11.3 rpg good for 1st place in the A-10 and 4th overall in the country. Chuba has just been outstanding, consistently providing a threat in the paint, which has opened up scoring on the perimeter. Bench scoring has been consistent as well, with several players providing sparks at different points of the season. Charlton, Rose & Colon-Navarro have largely filled this roll. Albeit they have moved in and out of the starting line up as well.

Team stats have remained fairly consistent, with a 72.8 ppg and allowing 68.2 ppg. The defensive end continues to improve as the season has moved on. Despite some Covid related delays, that continues as we speak, this trend should remain in place.

We still need more help inside to balance out Ohams. Kelly has played very sporadically coming off an injury and Novitskyi has been hurt, so our only real inside presense has been Ohams, and he has been a beast. Getting him some help would be a huge overall plus for the team.

Coach Kyle Neptune has really exceeded expectations thus far. The group responds to him well and they play very hard. He has mixed up the starting line up for a few contests and the moves have seemed to pay off.

Overall, some great strides have been made, and now the test of conference play is right in front of them. Based on the results so far, I think we can expect a competitive conference season. All the arrows seem to be pointing up.

Up next is Richmond, covid willing. That contest should be a great measuring stick for the team.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I have not seen any of the games since St. John’s but it seems fair to say that the team is doing pretty well for a squad that was basically thrown together just before the start of the season. That being said it seems like Neptune is off to a good start. My gut tells me that the players respect him and therefore he pushed them and they respond. I do not think Neubauer had that command and it was far worse under Pecora who was a joke. No Ned to digress.

Agreed on needing more Inside talent. If Neptune can replenish what they will lose and add 2 more solid players next year the upward trend will continue. Overall its way too early to get excited but if this year plays out with solid A10 play than there is a good foundation that has been establishing for the future.
Go Rams!

I agree, Antoni Daye Jr dropping out of school yesterday is a big negative. He was their best scorer and was excellent driving to the basket. There was no reason given for him dropping out.

Back