Dayton Flyers Off-Season Update: Part 1

cpyle

For the past week, I have taken a little time to organize the transfer window for the Dayton Flyers and talk with some folks about the team.  As of right now, Dayton has three scholarships open for the 2020-2021.  With this article, I’m going to just give a brief update on what the team looks like as of now, the open scholarships available, transfer interests, and recruits.  Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty.

A Look At The Current Team
Dayton is losing three key contributors off of the 3rd best team in the country from a season ago.  This stinks, but that’s the reality with college basketball.  The Flyers are technically bringing back two starters in Rodney Chapman and Jalen Crutcher.  Ibi Watson was the first guy off the bench last season and is 99.9999% going to be moved up into the starting lineup for next season.
With that, there seems to be two starting spots open that are up for grabs.  Among those gunning for those starting roles from last season are Jordy Tshimanga...

Continue reading...

Dayton can ride its four guards to a respectable year and they will pump up their record with multiple buy games with directional schools. But if Jordy Tshimanga is the front court, there is no front court. Freshmen, redshirts or not, are wildly inconsistent. Chase Johnson was a four-star transfer from big time Florida. That didn't go so well. By the way ...is he done?

I think Jordy is going to be better than people are giving him credit for. He didn't play much last year but UD had the Wooden Award winner at his position so there just wasn't an opportunity. I think the last spot in the starting lineup will have to be a freshman, probably Nwokeji or Blakney if I had to guess. Cohill was great at the end of last year but we would be playing a really small lineup then.

Also really hoping we get Mo Njie, adding some frontcourt depth would be nice heading into next year. With everything going on right now, hopefully he will want to stay in the Dayton area?

An injury, to Watson or Cructher, begs to the question who will score? Cohill and Chatman were decent by season's end (Cohill) but not socrers. I understand the point about playing behidn the Wooden guy but Tshimanga didn't even spell Landers or Mikesell, two smallish front court starers. Dayton appears thin and light at this point.

The reason Jordy didn't play that much is because our lineup was way better with Obi at the 5, and there's no way Jordy could have played any other spot.

You're right about who will score, but pretty much any team in the A10 will be in huge trouble if one of their two best players gets injured. Chatman didn't score much last year, but he's a 36% 3-point shooter and I think he will play a bigger role in the offense next year.

I also think Ibi has the chance to put up around 16-18 PPG. He was super efficient last year as a secondary option, but I think he's talented enough to carry a bigger load.

Back