Dayton Flyers 2019-20 Season Thread

First I'd like to say that Cohill is really stepping up. Second great game everyone got it going. Still waiting for Mikesell to score some points, when five guys are in double figures though I'm just nitpicking. I think it's awesome that Game Day is coming to Dayton, hopefully it will be following the sweep of RI. Go Flyers!

27/28 from two last night. INSANE!

Today is Obi’s birthday, and he’s playing his brother. Doubt he lets his little bro get the best off him today.

Reflecting on a very strange a10 season, I think I may recognize a trend or maybe a phenomenon. It seems as though after losing to Dayton, teams (most prominently URI and VCU) have just been demoralized. SLU after losing the heartbreaker to UD at their first meeting, dropped a very winnable game against Davidson by 12. URI lost 3 of 5 after losing to UD the first time, and nearly a 4th to a pitiful Fordham team. VCU, after competing and winning the next 4 games after UD went on to lose 7 of the next 9. Post-UD, SBU lost a tough one to URI, rebounded against the bottom half of the league before dropping 1 to Davidson. Richmond dropped a 20 point head-scratcher to VCU after losing to UD before rebounding. Maybe I am over exaggerating a tad but following UD w's we always want our opponents in the top half of the conference to continue to do well and win to not only benefit UD but the conference at large. It just seems like some teams that have given their all and lost to Dayton have lost either their aspirations of an A10 regular season title, or at least a confidence or competitive edge against the other top teams in the conference. I thought having a team like UD dominate the A10 would help to illuminate some of the other top programs but it seems to have just contributed to the destruction of their at large hopes. As a Flyer fan, I want them to succeed and have a shot at a 1 seed, but I would not be upset to see a deserving team dethrone Dayton and EARN an at large bid. As it stands today the only teams I see with a good chance at doing that are SLU and Richmond.

Obi named in the watch list for two national end of season awards! Including player of the year!

Attachments

• EF096D68-097B-41B4-88C2-7613888DF784.jpeg
    EF096D68-097B-41B4-88C2-7613888DF784.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 26CE6754-DBD1-4FC2-812E-316AE8E791D6.jpeg
    26CE6754-DBD1-4FC2-812E-316AE8E791D6.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 1
A10 champ will be the winner of SLU / UD. It does not seem even relatively close. No one is good enough to beat an on fire Dayton except SLU based on matchups. Every other team is just praying for their shot. Even Richmond at this point. SLU would handle them again, and UD would not struggle unless Coach AG decides to play with lineups. Even then, a determined Obi Toppin would be damned to see his team lose before the NCAA. Two horse race begins.

One last night was one of the best games I've ever been to. Second I really want UD to win the tourney, but I also want the a10 to get three teams in. Which would mean they'd have to lose a game in the tournament.
My hope Dayton wins and at Louis and Richmond make it as well. The A10 is a solid conference and should be multi bid.
Go Flyers!!!

I think the only thing stopping a multi-bid A10 is the media's love affair with the B10 and URI's loss to Brown. URI, Richmond, and SLU all have potential, although Richmond probably has the most realistic chance of a bid. Would be an absolute shame to see a team like Indiana beat out Richmond, especially if Richmond makes it to the title game. URI could be a lot closer to a legitimate shot if they did not lose to Brown. And SLU straight up lost a couple they should not have. IMO SLU is a much better team than their resume but maybe I believe that because of the way they have played UD this year. All I know is that it is very likely UD will have to play the scariest team (SLU) in the A10 tourney before the finals. If it is a Richmond/SLU final we will get our multi-bid and I will not be upset about it.

That being said, go Flyers. Bring home chip #2 of 3 this weekend.

Absolutely heartbroken for our guys and for the sport... To think we will never get to see this group of guys play together again, or Obi in a Flyers uniform is so devastating. I am speechless... I don't think the NCAA did what was best for the sport today I think they did what was easiest. Crushing news.

As an Atlantic 10 fan and a good friend of MANY Dayton Flyer alums I want to express my sincere sadness that you guys couldn't finish what was a remarkable season and one that could have lived on forever in the minds of Dayton and Atlantic 10 fans alike!!! Despite it being a blow to our future chances next year to try to ascend to the top of the A-10, I really hope that Obi decides to stay and you have a chance to at LEAST duplicate what you have done this year and MORE for the upcoming season!!! Good luck Dayton faithful!!! Hang in there!!! CoachSBU

Back