Dayton Flyers 2019-20 Season Thread

Anyone know if a home Richmond team is a Q1 or Q2 opponent

Almost positive it's Q1. I think true road game cut-off for Q1 is top 75.

Despite the Spiders and Refs best efforts UD pulls that one out. The call on the Landers screen, I thought, was ridiculous. Good for Coach Grant to stick up for his team but the game felt too close for comfort after that. All things considered, we haven't seen a Dayton team like this in a long long time. As a life-long fan, I can only hope they stay healthy and keep winning. With the landscape of college basketball as it is, why not our Flyers this year? Stay healthy until March and keep playing well, who knows who will be raising banners this year?

Despite the Spiders and Refs best efforts UD pulls that one out. The call on the Landers screen, I thought, was ridiculous. Good for Coach Grant to stick up for his team but the game felt too close for comfort after that. All things considered, we haven't seen a Dayton team like this in a long long time. As a life-long fan, I can only hope they stay healthy and keep winning. With the landscape of college basketball as it is, why not our Flyers this year? Stay healthy until March and keep playing well, who knows who will be raising banners this year?

A lot of fun to be a Dayton fan and a fan of the Atlantic 10. As someone who roots on the entire conference, I can confidently say we should be watching an A-10 team play in the 2nd weekend of March. That's a lot of fun, and given how efficient this team has been, it could be a hot pick to make the Final Four.

I think Dayton will win by 15+ tonight. I feel like Duquesne is overrated and Dayton’s just so good offensively. Not sure anyone on Duquesne can stop Toppin

Well, let's get to the bus and get back to the warmth inside UD arena. 3 straight games at home should help this team shake off some of these road scares but wow the A10 is throwing everything they can at the Flyers. Credit to the Dukes. Duquesne shot something close to 80% during that run and made a 19 point blowout, a nail-biter. Obi and Clutcher feed off of each other. Still scratching my head at some of the fouls called on Landers and Mikesell these past couple games but credit to the Flyers for rolling with the punches. Any other year UD is 5-3 or 6-2, this year and this team are something else. End of game experience could be the defining factor come March, the A10 gauntlet might just be a blessing in disguise. GO FLYERS.

I have a Futures ticket for the Flyers winning it all next month. Collects 840, can be yours for 300.. Let me know

So tomorrow’s VCU game isn’t looking as tough as it was last week

So tomorrow’s VCU game isn’t looking as tough as it was last week

Vegas disagrees... 2.5 to 3 point favorites means anything can go at the Siegel Center. Obviously depends if Marcus Evans plays too.

Flyers: rolling
VCU: back against the wall
Immovable object vs unstoppable force? Not quite, Flyers by 11.

If Dayton wins three of these next five games, including Rhode Island, they will own the A10. They need to win 4 of the last 5 if they lose to Rhode Island. Crazy to think there 11-0 and still do Not have a For Sure one seed in The A10 tournament.

Watching Flyers these last couple of weeks, makes me worried about slumping play. Obi, and Crutches are steady. Mikesell, Lander's, and Ibi have not been as consistent. Though it's nice Cohill and other players stepping up.

I tend to disagree with this take ^. Most of the A10 games are not exactly VCU / Kansas / St Mary's / Colorado- esque games for the Flyers this year. While I see your point, I am mostly only concerned with Ibi's 3 point shooting right now and continuing to increase our bench production. It can be hard to get up for games you are expected to win against less formidable opponents, especially when they know they just have to win them. Against the Dukes, the first half was indicative of this but the second half the Flyers reminded us how easy it is for them to just turn it on. I have no problem with them running sets and getting through games as so long as they are winning. I believe at the end of the day, when the play matters more the Flyers can just turn on that extra level and get there. I would be more concerned if it seemed like the Flyers were completely sleep walking through games but it seems like they have a very good understanding of when to turn it on and get the W. I disagree that Landers play has been slumping, he is our junkyard dog and does the intangibles on a nightly basis. Mikesell has had some rough shooting spells but his on ball defense has been getting dramatically better these past couple games. and while Ibi hasn't been shooting at his normal mark from range he has shown his ability to drive and score especially when opponents do not account for that part of his game. Overall, I am not too concerned with their play as of late, I think (and hope) they are taking advantage of these games to work on some of their weaknesses. Championship level teams don't blow out every opponent but they do know what they need to do on a nightly basis to get there.

I tend to disagree with this take ^. Most of the A10 games are not exactly VCU / Kansas / St Mary's / Colorado- esque games for the Flyers this year. While I see your point, I am mostly only concerned with Ibi's 3 point shooting right now and continuing to increase our bench production. It can be hard to get up for games you are expected to win against less formidable opponents, especially when they know they just have to win them. Against the Dukes, the first half was indicative of this but the second half the Flyers reminded us how easy it is for them to just turn it on. I have no problem with them running sets and getting through games as so long as they are winning. I believe at the end of the day, when the play matters more the Flyers can just turn on that extra level and get there. I would be more concerned if it seemed like the Flyers were completely sleep walking through games but it seems like they have a very good understanding of when to turn it on and get the W. I disagree that Landers play has been slumping, he is our junkyard dog and does the intangibles on a nightly basis. Mikesell has had some rough shooting spells but his on ball defense has been getting dramatically better these past couple games. and while Ibi hasn't been shooting at his normal mark from range he has shown his ability to drive and score especially when opponents do not account for that part of his game. Overall, I am not too concerned with their play as of late, I think (and hope) they are taking advantage of these games to work on some of their weaknesses. Championship level teams don't blow out every opponent but they do know what they need to do on a nightly basis to get there.
I agree, but the problem is if there struggling in the ncaa tourney games and get down, they may not be able to just turn it on and blow past ncaa caliber teams the way they do in the A10.

It is definitely worrisome right now, but this is also the woes of February basketball, which many teams go through not just Dayton. They will get enough rest from the end of the season to playing three games in Brooklyn and then hopefully playing on the Friday of the first round of the NCAA tournament. Plus, how many times in the past has Dayton played up and down to their opponents level. I think they did that to Kansas and they can do that again.

Chance to clinch this Friday on the ESPN nationally televised game with Dick Vitale in the house!!!

First I'd like to say that Cohill is really stepping up. Second great game everyone got it going. Still waiting for Mikesell to score some points, when five guys are in double figures though I'm just nitpicking. I think it's awesome that Game Day is coming to Dayton, hopefully it will be following the sweep of RI. Go Flyers!

Back