Coronavirus Impact

Delaware should be a decent team this year, so adding them wouldn’t be too bad.

Edit: Oops... I didn’t see they, too, shut it down. This feels like swimming against the current.

UMass withdraws from Bubbleville and suspends all team activities.

And UMass becomes the first A10 program to shut down basketball activities.

Here's to hoping mini bubbles curb outbreaks in December and January. Mini bubble = athletic teams being the only people on campus.

Edit: So I guess Fordham had a case 10/30 that forced them to miss the first couple weeks of practice and they would technically be the first program shut down but UMass is the first to miss game(s) as a result of their own positive case(s).

Last edited:
I made a simple spreadsheet of teams currently on pause and a target return date. I'll update it daily. Let's watch this thing grow! (I can't believe we're still doing this).

I added FloSports to my Roku subscription today. I hope there are no further cancellations. If so, I may just have to become a CAA fan until my next subscription renewal.

Well...

The current protocols (entire teams getting shut down for 14 days if anyone tests positive) will make this season nearly impossible to complete.

the 2 week shutdown is not ideal. How many times do we see NFL players get exposed and then they have a few negative tests and are good to go. Why we cant to that?

I get the rationale that the whole team has to get shut down because over the course of a practice you would have close contact with pretty much everyone on the team, but I would love to see the A10/Bonas adopt a 5 to 7 day test out rule similar to what the NFL is doing with close contacts.

All close contacts isolate but are tested daily and if after 5 days they havent tested positive they are allowed to rejoin the team. Happened with Big Ben and Stafford, where they missed all week of practice due to close contact but were able to play on Sunday. Maybe you could do something similar with a basketball team so that you only lose one week of games/practice for most guys rather than a full shut down.

It happened. I had a feeling it would once cases started skyrocketing in Cattaraugus County on Monday. Here's our timeline for the rest of 2020 now, assuming this whole damn thing doesn't get shutdown or paused nationally.

Nov. 19 to Dec. 3 - Mandatory 14-day shutdown, according to school policy
December 4 to 10 - Finals
December 15 - vs. Akron in Cleveland
December 22 - vs. SUNY-Amherst
December 30 - @ Rhode Island

Somewhere in there will be Hofstra and St. Louis coming to the RC. A reporter covering SLU says that game won't happen on December 5th, which I don't even know was official.

My guess is if we come out of the two-week quarantine ready to go, we try to open up with Hofstra on Saturday 12/12. The only confirmed date for Hofstra is they play Monmouth on 11/25. As for SLU, they could try to play that one around Saturday 12/19, unless they kick that can down the road into 2021. I kind of hope they don't force that one into December because I want us to be at our best when we play little Travie since those guys should be top 4 in the A10 also, if not gunning for #1.

Does anyone know what exactly the team will actually do in the next 13 days? Only one person with the team (may or may not be a player) has tested positive (so far). Will players get individual time to shoot around or hit the weight room alone? I can't imagine the players are just going to do literally nothing but maybe watch our nonsense on NBA 2k.

Now if you'll excuse me, time to create Towson's roster...

From what I have read, teams can still have workouts and players can shoot, lift...etc but I dont think they can be official team practices or anything like that. They will not just be sitting around playing video games and watching tv this whole time. Especially if there are not believed to be any players who have it, I would think they will still be staying in shape. At least now campus should be emptying out and if you are not essential personnel to the team on a daily basis you should be nowhere near the RC. It sucks that a manager is the one who brought it in (if true). As far as I am concerned, Schmidt and assistants and Fiske are the only ones who should be setting foot anywhere near the players. On game day and the road trips, ok but anyone else should also be quarantining as much as possible. I am not saying whoever in the program who got the virus should be blamed but if this shit is going to work then precautions are needed.

From what I have read, teams can still have workouts and players can shoot, lift...etc but I dont think they can be official team practices or anything like that. They will not just be sitting around playing video games and watching tv this whole time. Especially if there are not believed to be any players who have it, I would think they will still be staying in shape. At least now campus should be emptying out and if you are not essential personnel to the team on a daily basis you should be nowhere near the RC. It sucks that a manager is the one who brought it in (if true). As far as I am concerned, Schmidt and assistants and Fiske are the only ones who should be setting foot anywhere near the players. On game day and the road trips, ok but anyone else should also be quarantining as much as possible. I am not saying whoever in the program who got the virus should be blamed but if this shit is going to work then precautions are needed.

This is the crux of the problem. Even with somewhat strict precautions in place, there will still be positive tests and at least theoretically anyways, positive tests in kids that aren’t showing symptoms. Not sure how you prevent that?

I know it's unlikely to know at this point, but does the team plan on trying to fill these games after the 14-day pause?

I still like the idea of a 300+ team bubble tournament, though. What could possibly go wrong?

Let's look at the positives here. Tom Gleason's "this will all be over November 4th" tweet is a fresh candidate for freezing cold takes.
One of the only silver linings about this panedemic has been watching Gleason's freezing hot takes on virtually everything. A bonus has been discovering his use of twitter, which seems to be the equivalent of giving a 1st grader a Boeing 747.

Back