Coronavirus Impact

Harvard has cancelled its basketball season. "At least one" other Ivy is likely to do the same.

18 members of Yale men's hockey team have tested positive. Supposedly, only 19 players were on campus.

Iona withdraws from Mohegan Sun Bubbleville due to staff member testing positive for Covid. They were in the UMass pod with Siena, Delaware and South Florida. Not sure if they will try to add a different team or if they will split the remainder of that pod into other pods. Might mean we actually play Siena.

Iona withdraws from Mohegan Sun Bubbleville due to staff member testing positive for Covid. They were in the UMass pod with Siena, Delaware and South Florida. Not sure if they will try to add a different team or if they will split the remainder of that pod into other pods. Might mean we actually play Siena.

Canisius has also shut things down. If we were planning on playing them, it'd be in more than two weeks.

Vermont game in Bubbleville is off. This week, I feel like we're going to see the wheels fall off this jalopy we all call college basketball in 2020...

Yeah, I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I'm not expecting to see any college basketball this season. Or much, at any rate.

Should have just postponed until February. Let's get past the holiday season and hopefully things are a little better in a few months.

Play it just like college baseball.

It will be a mixed bag like football. I can see schools like ours where there are no issues. Mainly because like Adaway said in the podcast, the players dont go out. Combine that with the fact students will be gone from Thanksgiving until almost the end of January, that is a large window of basically no exposure.

Will there be a lot of shuffling, postponements and other crap? Yes but I think they find a way to slog through a season.

With any luck, a vaccine will be out before the season ends, which could be a game changer.

Siena now has an open slot with Vermont backing out, perhaps they pull their head out of their ass and decide to play us? If that actually happens, its a good trade. Siena should be top 100 while Vermont I feel will be more in the 120-130 range.

Last edited:
It will be a mixed bag like football. I can see schools like ours where there are no issues. Mainly because like Adaway said in the podcast, the players dont go out. Combine that with the fact students will be gone from Thanksgiving until almost the end of January, that is a large window of basically no exposure.

Will there be a lot of shuffling, postponements and other crap? Yes but I think they find a way to slog through a season.

With any luck, a vaccine will be out before the season ends, which could be a game changer.

Siena now has an open slot with Vermont backing out, perhaps they pull their head out of their ass and decide to play us? If that actually happens, its a good trade. Siena should be top 100 while Vermont I feel will be more in the 120-130 range.

SUNY-Amherst was scheduled to play Iona on December 1, but Iona had to back out of Bubbleville. With SBU and UB both having open dates Dec. 1, it seems like it'd make sense to play them there if this actually happens.

This looks like the first major crack in the Bona Bubble. 24 cases in one day.

I think Bubbleville will happen, but I'm not sure if games like us at Akron will actually happen. I could see Bubbleville being our only OOC, which would probably mean a three-week layoff between a hypothetical SUNY-Amherst game on 12/1 and St. Louis right before Christmas.

All of the recent Covid news has really put a damper on the start of the season for me. I was also very disappointed that the A10 came up with a standard schedule with very little wiggle room. I'm not sure what I expected but it doesn't seem like they built smart schedules to reduce travel or exposure. I find it hard to get too invested because it seems like they have set the league up for failure.

Do we know when the SLU game will be played? I recall it was TBD so maybe they plan to start conference play earlier in December? Id like to see Bubbleville extended if it means getting a couple more games in.

I agree Jive, its hard to get invested but the closer we get to actually seeing basketball the more excited I get.

Consecutive post alert!

Let's go Gannon!!!

I was under the impression that we would have one A10 game before Christmas, which would be SLU at home. Finals are December 4-10, so I could see that SLU game being played somewhere between Saturday, December 12 and December 19. Of course, we are supposed to have games against Hofstra in the RC and at Akron we have to fit in somewhere too, according to Schmidt.

I also really think we have to get a 4th game in at Bubbleville on that open day with Vermont cancelling. I don't care if it's the Bulls again (we very well could have played them twice if the Paradise Jam happened), or if it's one of the turd teams there like Maine, UMass Lowell or Delaware. Hell, I'll take a "nonconference" game against the Minutemen or Rhody at Mohegan Sun. We can't assume anything outside of Bubbleville will actually happen OOC. Get those games in while we can.

Back