Coronavirus Impact

People keep talking about death rates like that's the only number that matters. Two of my coworkers (one 35, the other 25) both contracted the coronavirus in March. Four months later neither one can smell or taste anything. Doctors think that could be permanent for a good percentage of people who contract the virus. Imagine being 25 and being told you'll never smell or taste anything ever again.

Meanwhile there are concerns about long-term lung and brain damage for people of all ages. This is a brand new (novel) virus and very little is known about its long-term effects. Scoffing at the death percentage (which is quite high BTW) and its predilection to kill older adults while totally ignoring everything else we know and don't know is downright dangerous.

Last edited:
I asked a somewhat rhetorical question above about what Bona did in WWII. My curiosity got the better of me, so I looked it up. The Bonnies played all years except 1943-44. Being an all-male institution at the time, I suppose there were not enough swinging dicks around to field a team that one year when every male in good health was volunteering or getting drafted. More relevant was the inaugural 1919-20 season, when the Bonnies compiled a 6-10 record. This was relevant because it was in the midst of the highly contagious and lethal Spanish Flu pandemic, which killed 500,000 to 850,000 out of a population of 105 million.
There are risks involved even if one doesn't die from the virus, I know, but most athletes are aware they are taking life altering physical risks whenever they suit up.

The Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1920, too. It's effects turned out to be catastrophic. I'm not sure we should let decisions taken 100 years ago control what we do now.

The Treaty of Versailles was signed in 1920, too. It's effects turned out to be catastrophic. I'm not sure we should let decisions taken 100 years ago control what we do now.
I know you're smart enough to understand your comment renders history nugatory in addition to it's bearing no relevance to epidemiology, res. Santayana is turning in his grave. I'm actually just making an observation on the ongoing pussification of our society. We used to figure out ways to work through a crisis without playing Chicken Little.

I know you're smart enough to understand your comment renders history nugatory in addition to it's bearing no relevance to epidemiology, res. Santayana is turning in his grave. I'm actually just making an observation on the ongoing pussification of our society. We used to figure out ways to work through a crisis without playing Chicken Little.
res is just being smarmy, which he tends to do.

I was not being smarmy. I fail to see how the fact that a proto basketball team played a handful of games before a very few fans in 1919 has any bearing on whether there should be a 2020-21 college basketball season, and if so, how it should proceed.

I know, res is the King of Smarm. You've got to admire him for sticking to business. I'm also sticking to mine, which is unreasonable expectations. In this case, it's that the autocratic NCAA actually lets loose on the reins enough to let members come up with their own plans. I live in a city of 150K where a grand total of 7 people died from the virus, if government data are to be believed. I took a bigger risk every time I got on a motorcycle, especially after consuming a few of my favorite beverages. I'm pretty sure what works where I live or Olean is different from what works in NYC. SBUnfurled's pod plan, which I saw on twitter, might be a good option. Here's a good philosophy to help come up with a plan:

Well, we'll see. The CAA cancelled the football season. Individual schools will be "allowed" to arrange their own schedules as they see fit. The quote marks were added as I suspect JMU and possibly others probably forced the conference's hand. There's your petri dish experiment for you. We'll see which schools choose which paths.

Hard to make your own schedule if all the other schools cancel sports this year.

Glad you screengrabbed that. He’s deleted the tweet.

Two people I know have died from the virus. Both the in their 60s and otherwise healthy until the day they contracted it. It’s not the fucking flu and it’s not a political hoax.

Glad you screengrabbed that. He’s deleted the tweet.

Two people I know have died from the virus. Both the in their 60s and otherwise healthy until the day they contracted it. It’s not the fucking flu and it’s not a political hoax.
We shouldn’t go down that rabbit hole, but I just had to share such a tweet from one who ruthlessly banned and imprisoned Lester. People actually believe that shit. It’s terrifying.

Back