Chris Mooney: How his Spiders are doing

adaisey

Mooney’s Tenure
Chris Mooney is entering his 15th season as head coach of Richmond with a record of 253-215.  8 of his previous 14 years have been winning seasons for the Spiders, with 3 straight 20+ win seasons since 2011.  The Spiders won the A-10 Conference Championship, and reached the Sweet 16 in 2011, where they finished the season with a record of 29-8, Mooney’s best since he has been at UofR.  Although Richmond hasn’t had a winning season since 2016-2017 when they reached the NIT Quarterfinal where they lost to TCU, Chris Mooney has his squad trending in the right direction.  Last season ranks among one of his worst years in Richmond, but this year just feels different (to me at least).
Why does it feel different?
Personally , I feel like the Spiders are being heavily slept on this season, as I can see them winning close to 20 games.  I know this is very far-fetched for a lot of Richmond fans, but just hear me out.  I really like this starting 5.  If the Spiders can stay...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I think Grant Golden is a guy who really needs to have a big year if the Spiders want to compete for a trip to the NCAA Tournament. This team really isn't that tall and does not have a lot of depth in the post. We also know that Richmond has been pretty poor on the boards this season (and in the past), especially on the defensive end. If Golden can stay out of foul trouble and continue to become a better rebounder for this group, the sky's the limit as long as offensively, the Spiders keep doing what they do.

Back