Bonnies vs. VCU- A10 Championship (Sun. 03/14/21 at 1:00 pm)

Just remember that across the A10, most of the fan bases would root for SBU over VCU every day of the week and twice on Sunday, specifically because of... VCU fans. That in itself tells you all you need to know.
The guys in the black and yellow wigs, face paint, and Cat in the Hat gear (dressing like 90s video game sports fans)? The ones who cheer like they’re on a 12-0 run when guys make garbage buckets late in a decided game?

I had stop reading tweets. Look, SBU has some major DB fans, some on twitter themselves, but VCU fans took not losing with class to another level. The refs! Seriously, Welch's 3rd foul and then the T were both bullshit. Shoon got called for two blocks because they were afraid to give Bones and Stockard charges. Our players can tone it down a little but they aren't trash punks. They're animated, they're excited, they have attitude. They weren't throwing basketballs at people's heads. And then the dunk by Lofton - after the fucking game clock because he, ahem, showed class - set some of their fans into the red. It was the same dunk they do to wrap up warmups.

They can't all be AA and JonBoy I guess.

Just back from Dayton. It was a truly great experience to be out in America for the first time in over a year. Tried to sing along to the national anthem but my voice broke in the first verse and every time I tried to vocalize any more of the lyrics. (Too many issues to go further into that). Dayton arena is a first class experience all-around, from service personnel to local fans. The Bona fans and our Flyer supporters dominated the crowd. Every time a VCU chant started it was drowned out. Many words of encouragement from the Dayton fan base: "Please just win!"
The VCU fans were also--as a rule--very respectful. We can't forget that fan bases are like social media: a few rotten apples can make the whole barrel reek.
I might as well admit that I'm old now. I don't know if I'll ever be able to take my wife to another game, and this is the only one we could have done this year. It was just such a terrific show of athletic talent. We can't forget that this is a very, very good VCU team and I wish them the best of luck in the tourney. Beating a team like that is a great point of departure for the Bonnies dream of a memorable NCAA run. I am really hoping it will happen. I honestly believe this is the best team we've had since I saw my classmates make their famous run over 50 years ago, and it is so good to see our Bonnies actually be relevant on the national stage once more. Go Team. We've got your back.

Back