Bonnies vs. UMass (Rochester, NY- 01/15/20)

That was a really solid team effort with Osun in foul trouble. Solid floor games from Bobby, Dom, and Jaren.

Lofton was steady and in control once again.

It was funny to see Schmidt’s total exasperation with Winston a few times. You can tell he is trying to get the best out of a kid who hasn’t had to play in many disciplined systems.

Fake Jared Kushner didn’t disappoint. Lots of power clapping and a pinstripe gangster suit. Oh, and Tre Mitchell is smooth as silk offensively. What a force he’ll be down the road when he gets in better physical condition.

Lastly, it’s funny watching the guys on the bench. They are INTO it. That’s a great sign.

I got to sit right behind the bench last night and it was really interesting. Like you said, Winston got chewed out a couple times, especially after that foul early in the game (which I thought was crap, along with a lot of the officiating last night). I also noticed Schmidt walk up to him after a timeout and kind of give him a what looked like a few encouraging words and pat him on the shoulder. Watching Carpenter play, he has a ways to go but has some skills. Its clear he doesnt know the system well. On the 1st or 2nd possession he was out there, Kyle was dribbling waiting for a screen and Bob was late. The entire staff was screaming "Bob! Bob!" and then he ran out and set the screen. This is what people (not people here) dont get. That is why our younger players dont play much typically.

Tre Mitchell is pure although a lot of his damage was against a slower Amadi or undersized Carpenter. Shoon's block on him was sweet. The rest of UMass stinks.

The bench guys are awesome. You can tell they all like each other and root for each other.

I've honestly begun to question if Winston transfers. Kid probably expected to get big minutes and even though he is starting he has a short leash. He is obviously very talented but needs to make better decisions. I hope he figures it out and has a great career with us but it is so easy to transfer these days you have to wonder.
Gotta hope that wouldn't happen. But Schmidt's tact with the kids can be one of his flaws and I'd hate to see Winston get chased off when it's so obvious that he'll be a beast when it all clicks. His defense has improved already and we're just halfway through the season. He and Vasquez are getting spotty minutes, they get a quick hook, and sometimes I don't understand it. Some of us have discussed this before, that a season that comes down to Brooklyn could be one where you let those guys figure it out on the court. Will it cost you a couple games? Sure. But even if we run the table regular season there is still almost 0% chance we get a bid without winning Brooklyn. The two are stars, let them play it out and figure it out.

We need Osun to put some weight on this upcoming off season. His footwork is great but the foul trouble will continue when he goes up against these guys that are bigger and stronger. i know its tough but i could probably give him some tips.... ive been putting weight on since i was 12

i was very down on bobby to begin the year.... he gets more comfortable every game and i love to eat my words. AJ continue to improve, court awareness continues to improve..... i could see him being a more talented Dion type player. an x factor in a year or two

I don’t think we need to worry about Winston or Vasquez fleeing from criticism. That’s why they’re here. Both have started games as freshmen on a pretty good team, and they desperately need the tough love teaching Schmidt provides. If they both buy in, watch the hell out. For both kids, the foundation is there to be All-A10 one day.

Some of the most abrasive coaches have been legends. I don't have any knowledge of the way ours interacts with the players, but I think it's understood by anyone with some nuggets that this is part of the game. They want to excel and get to play at the next level, so they have the same objective as our coach. This isn't beanbag.

Winston has started 14 out of 17 games and has been averaging around 17 minutes a game. I also believe Schmidt has had a longer leash with him than almost any Freshman. So if Winston does decide to leave I'm not sure there is much more playing time wise Schmidt can do.

On a happier note this team at 4-0 is exactly where they should be in A10 .

Nice game out of Dom with a double double and shooting 50% from the field.

Gotta hope that wouldn't happen. But Schmidt's tact with the kids can be one of his flaws and I'd hate to see Winston get chased off when it's so obvious that he'll be a beast when it all clicks. His defense has improved already and we're just halfway through the season. He and Vasquez are getting spotty minutes, they get a quick hook, and sometimes I don't understand it. Some of us have discussed this before, that a season that comes down to Brooklyn could be one where you let those guys figure it out on the court. Will it cost you a couple games? Sure. But even if we run the table regular season there is still almost 0% chance we get a bid without winning Brooklyn. The two are stars, let them play it out and figure it out.

Going out on a limb and saying that if they won out the regular season (won't happen obviously, which makes this a high priority discussion item), making them 26-5 with a 25-1 record in their last 26 games, they would be much > 0% chance to be an at large.

Going out on a limb and saying that if they won out the regular season (won't happen obviously, which makes this a high priority discussion item), making them 26-5 with a 25-1 record in their last 26 games, they would be much > 0% chance to be an at large.
I wouldn't touch that bet.

I don’t think we need to worry about Winston or Vasquez fleeing from criticism. That’s why they’re here. Both have started games as freshmen on a pretty good team, and they desperately need the tough love teaching Schmidt provides. If they both buy in, watch the hell out. For both kids, the foundation is there to be All-A10 one day.
I think that this may be how Schmidt separates the high character kids from the low character ones. Kids that can take the emotional turmoil that inconsistent play can sometimes have on one's psyche are usually high character kids that recognize and respect their role within the larger context of the team. This is incredibly hard to pull off though, given the rise in AAU basketball, where kids are constantly praised for their raw talent without developing some of the fundamentals necessary to succeed at the next level. Hope I don't sound like a ba**wagoner, but this may be why we haven't really had a big scandal since Malcom Eleby. Kids with those inflated egos that have been pumped since they were in grade school usually gravitate towards other schools with other coaches that are willing to cater to their entitled bullshit.

While Schmidt does have a short leash, I think it's refreshing to see a coach put kids into the game and yank them if they don't know their role. You're so good? Why can't you set a pick at the top of the key? Why can't you box out? Sure you can score, but you can do that naturally (referring to Winston here). Younger players have to FOCUS on the other integral aspects of the game that may not come naturally, particularly on a team that is going to be heavily reliant on defense to pick up wins. That being said, as a fan it's sometimes frustrating to see Lofton out there with a 20 pt lead and 1 min to go in a game against South Western Arkansas. That may be something that frustrates guys that bust their ass in practice, but don't see any playing time and seems problematic to me from a team building perspective.

Last edited:
From my outside observation as a slightly too invested fan, with no inner 'sources', Schmidt to me seems to have a straightforward approach.

If your game reaches the point where your presence on the court is giving the team the best chance to succeed, the minutes will come. If the minutes havent come, it's because someone else in your place provides the team with a better chance to win.

The fact that Winston replaced Bobby in game 5 as the starter, and hasn't lost that role despite Bobby playing more minutes, says a lot to me about the potential seen in him. And more importantly, about Schmidt's message to him that he sees that potential. He's starting off every game with the belief that Winston can be that guy for him, and giving him the opportunity to do it. If he screws up, then that chance is given to Bobby. Bobby doesn't have the longest leash, either.

Same with AJ still being the first guy off the bench for the 2/3 substitutions.

Schmidt is one of the most respected coaches in all D1. If he pulls a kid off the floor, he has a good reason to do so. If a freshman who is getting 10+ minutes despite being outplayed by Bobby Planutis is going to jump ship because of that, I'd say good riddance. Fortunately, I don't think Winston is like that. I haven't seen him sulking or giving any attitude. He's a tremendous athlete, probably a year away under Schmidt's tutelage from absolutely tearing it up for the Bonnies.

Schmidt is one of the most respected coaches in all D1. If he pulls a kid off the floor, he has a good reason to do so. If a freshman who is getting 10+ minutes despite being outplayed
Schmidt is one of the most respected coaches in all D1. If he pulls a kid off the floor, he has a good reason to do so. If a freshman who is getting 10+ minutes despite being outplayed by Bobby Planutis is going to jump ship because of that, I'd say good riddance. Fortunately, I don't think Winston is like that. I haven't seen him sulking or giving any attitude. He's a tremendous athlete, probably a year away under Schmidt's tutelage from absolutely tearing it up for the Bonnies.
If a coach isnt playing the players that gives the team the best chances to winn how long until that coach loses a team?
Fortunately it seems like this team is all about being unselfish, hardworking and willing to do all the things need to get better and winn.

Back