Bonnies vs. UMass (Rochester, NY- 01/15/20)

UMass has played a tough schedule so far and we fall in an odd position. Based on Kenpom we would be both their best win and worst loss. They beat Northeastern early in the year currently Kenpom 139 and the only non-top 100 team they lost to was South Carolina that is currently KP105

Based on there numbers you can assume they will try to run Welch and Vasquez off the 3pt line and are willing to give up high percentage 2s in exchange.
On the other end of the court they take a bunch of 3s and don't rebound particularly well, however they did win the board battle with SLU so they can rebound when they are playing their best.

That loser blog Turtleyboy Sports had a hard on for the Bonnies for like 3 years because of that game.

I don't hate many A10 teams. Even those who it kills me to lose to like VCU or Dayton, or those who we've developed a bit of a friendly rivalry with, like Davidson I still share a respect for. Come non conference or March, I'm flying the A10 banner for just about everyone. Not UMass. They are THE flagship school for the 15th most populous state and have nothing to show for it. Take away the Calipari years and they've made the dance once since like the 70's. All the resources in the world, and they struggle to avoid the Wednesday play-in game. They should be a perennial stalwart for the A10 that boosts up the conference, instead of the door mat that they have become. Their fan presence is pathetic and nearly non existent, and what fans they do have are seemingly under the delusion that their last 2 decades of ineptitude havent really happened, and that they have a right to look down their nose at the majority of the smaller schools in the A10 as if they're the ones that hold the A10 back.

Yes, fuck these guys. Let's keep our win streak against them going.

"I do think that long term it makes sense for Bona to go and dominate the MAAC, as I think success there may prove unsustainable post Schmidt"

I disagree with both components of that sentence, for several reasons, and it's not just because of my bias. No need to get into it on a game thread, but I just had to say it. Other than that, the guy seems like a good enough guy. I dont take back what i said above, but he's alright.

"I do think that long term it makes sense for Bona to go and dominate the MAAC, as I think success there may prove unsustainable post Schmidt"

I disagree with both components of that sentence, for several reasons, and it's not just because of my bias. No need to get into it on a game thread, but I just had to say it. Other than that, the guy seems like a good enough guy. I dont take back what i said above, but he's alright.
I'm not sure what to think of that comment. I do think he's a good tweeter out there, he's funny and knowledgeable, but that comment makes no sense on so many levels. Beside the fact that it's awfully rich coming from a UMass fan to suggest anyone else in the league may have trouble sustaining success, Bona has never been a MAAC level school. And since Coach Cal left, Bona really hasn't had much trouble with UMass outside the years that shall not be dwelled upon. Come to think of it, a lot of teams in the A10 haven't had much trouble with UMass.

A lot of unknown with them. They started off hot this season, they had a stretch losing to decent programs, and they've been very UMass-like so far in conference play, put a scare into SLU, a run of the mill win over La Salle, and crushed by Dayton. -9 is a surprise to me. They have 3 guys shooting 40%+ from 3-point range and perimeter D is always a question mark for us.

Is he saying that success is unsustainable for SBU after Schmidt because it has been for UMASS after Calipari? I hope Schmidt coaches for many more years, but if you are a good coach you can have success at SBU. UMASS performance in the conference has been mediocre at best. They really aren't a good program and we have and should be beating them regularly.

CHS is a great guy, but he's dead wrong. We're 12-4 against them in the last decade. Downgrading to the MAAC would be a damn-near death sentence for the athletics program. It's a total non-starter. Fordham and La Salle should be relegated way before us.
Exactly. We would have less success in the MAAC relatively than we have in the A-10. He definitely didn't think that one through.

Yeah I never have understood how people overlook that aspect so easily. It's like they think, well hey a team thats finishing in the top 5 in the A10 every year would surely dominate a lesser conference! Well yes, if we brought our A10 level recruits to the MAAC, we almost certainly would. If we joined the MAAC, though, we're not bringing A10 level recruits with us. We're bringing MAAC level recruits.

A good coach is a good coach. Making sure it's the right hire will be crucial, obviously, whenever the day comes that Schmidt is replaced. As is the same with replacing any good coach. But the notion that no one else could possibly be hired to keep them afloat is baseless and ridiculous. And, the job would be a considerably more attractive one than it was when Schmidt was hired.

Also, this idea that Bona's success is so improbable because of Olean is overplayed and misinformed. Lawerence KS or Ames Iowa or Bloomington Indiana arent exactly booming metropolises ripe with everything that would appeal to your average blue chip recruit. Syracuse is a fucking disgusting cess pool excuse for a city. And yet programs in all those locations succeed. Hmmm.

Schmidt said it best. He doesn't recruit guys who want to play somewhere cool, he recruits guys who wan to be in the gym, hooping 24/7. That type of recruit and type of coach is why they succeed. Not because they are or aren't next to the beach.

EDIT: I Know I said i wouldn't get into it on a game thread, but what can i say. No one is perfect.

I am of the opinion that anything written anywhere in the blogosphere should never be taken seriously, but most especially opinions from rivals as to which conference we should be in. I am ready for some basketball.

Mitchell is so damn good in person. Does a lot well... knows positioning, passes well, finishes through contact. Shoon needs to get at him here. Our doubles are just a hair late and could be costly if shooters are open.

Mitchell has half of the Minutemen's points (21/41) at the U16. Honestly, I don't think it's going to be enough for UMass if he keeps torching us inside, but none of their other guys do anything.

That was a really solid team effort with Osun in foul trouble. Solid floor games from Bobby, Dom, and Jaren.

Lofton was steady and in control once again.

It was funny to see Schmidt’s total exasperation with Winston a few times. You can tell he is trying to get the best out of a kid who hasn’t had to play in many disciplined systems.

Fake Jared Kushner didn’t disappoint. Lots of power clapping and a pinstripe gangster suit. Oh, and Tre Mitchell is smooth as silk offensively. What a force he’ll be down the road when he gets in better physical condition.

Lastly, it’s funny watching the guys on the bench. They are INTO it. That’s a great sign.

Great start to conference play. The Bonnies are looking good so far, but we won't get any respect from the basketball talking heads until we take down some of the top tier teams. That campaign begins Saturday, and we're going to need to stay out of foul trouble to get to that record-setting 5-0 start in conference play. Woohoo!

It was funny to see Schmidt’s total exasperation with Winston a few times. You can tell he is trying to get the best out of a kid who hasn’t had to play in many disciplined systems.

I've honestly begun to question if Winston transfers. Kid probably expected to get big minutes and even though he is starting he has a short leash. He is obviously very talented but needs to make better decisions. I hope he figures it out and has a great career with us but it is so easy to transfer these days you have to wonder.

Back