Bonnies vs UConn (Sat. 12/11/21 at 4 PM)

Community Bank 3Pt Tee

With or without Kyle, with or without Tyrese Martin, I expect this to be a close and emotionally charged game for our guys. Lots of familiarity and history between several of our guys and theirs. Hometown element for Shoon and Kyle if he can go. Hometown, win it for the Gipper, if Kyle can't go.

UConn's style of play isn't one that we're not used to per se, but never faced it without Kyle. Taking care of the ball and bringing our 'good' d are critical (duh!). But really, against these guys, especially.

If we can hold their 3-point shooting to the 3 of 21 they made against WVU we'll be good. Unfortunately, we have not been that good against 3-pointers. However, I will take the 39%-win probability Kenpom figures and hope our guys rise to the challenge.

Doubt Kyle plays if his injury is a high ankle sprain. I would like to see Osun make some shots down low early and assert himself in the paint. This is a veteran group and everyone is capable of scoring points. I also like Quadry Adams defense.

No Lofton today, so someone other than Holmes and Adaway will need to not only not kill us, but actually step up and be a net positive. UConn's big man Isaiah Whaley was last year's Big East DPOY, so I'm not expecting Osun to excel offensively, and if Martin plays he will be a difficult matchup for Welch. Based on how this season is going I'm certainly not expecting UConn to go 3-17 from deep like they did against WVU.

I'm not feeling all that confident right now, which means I need a stiff whiskey drink.

Back