Bonnies vs. SUNY-Amherst

Bill Russell

It’s always a tough one against “New York’s Public Powerhouse”. The Bulls will be ready to play, so let’s hope our guys can maintain this momentum. Keep disrupting those passing lanes, win on the boards, and limit those goddamn lazy perimeter turnovers!

I just looked at SUNY Amherst's schedule and noticed they play 2 D3 schools in December, thats just 1 more reason in my mind this game is a must Winn.

Strange start for UB. Similar to us I think they are mostly new guys, but their disparity is odd. Colgate as an opening win is very solid. George Mason as a win is decent. There's no shame in losing to James Madison whos 80 in KP, but there is in losing to them by 35. Losing to Howard is inexcusable.

We always bring a decent crowd to UB, and that usually brings out the best in their crowd too. Should be a good college basketball atmosphere. True road win would be a nice new feather for our young guys.

I hate these guys and would hate the satisfaction that being able to say they are 3-1 in their last 4 against us would bring them. So let's get it.

Extremely discouraging effort (key word). Nobody looked prepared. We knew this inconsistency would happen this year, but holy shit… those guys looked LOST. No clue on off-ball assignments; nobody puts a body on anyone when a shot goes up; LET ALONE the free throw shooting. This is preparation stuff. GET IT TOGETHER.

Hey but a certain BBW fav got in a few times to practice committing turnovers like the rest of them. Tough one today. Tough to watch.

One guy I have not been impressed with up to now played better today, except for on a 2 on 1 where he should have passed rather than taking it to the rim himself.

Another guy I’ve really liked is proving to not be a shooter at all, so I don’t know where he is should fit in.

Our interior guys need to be more aware of the circle before trying to take charges, and everyone needs to have more of a nose for the ball on contested rebounds. You can’t get out in transition if you don’t even control the ball.

And if I have to see more jump shots bounce off the front of the rim, I’m going to scream. Don’t even bring up free throws.

Extremely discouraging effort (key word). Nobody looked prepared.
You know ho looked prepared? SUNY Amherst. Foul trouble kept Venning on the bench but even if he played I don't know if he would have been that effective on offense. He dribbled too much and they doubled teamed him pretty hard, even when he got shots up they looked ugly. Mellouk was killed on pick and rolls every time, I know he gives up some inches but he was neve in postion to try to make a play.
My positive takeaway is there is some good film after thois game to teach from . Venning has shown some good passes out of the post and seems really coachable so far, so I think he will fix his issues.
Banks the Third needs about 10 minutes of rest a game IMO. I thought Luc played better after sitting . Maybe with Rumple and Flowers back from injury Banks can rest. Right now flowers seems to spell a combo of Evans and Farrell, I think you can play hill at the 4 with either Evens of Farrell at the 3, that way Flowers can spell Banls at the 2 and Rumple can come in for Luc at the 1.

That was an awful game to watch. I thought we were past this kind of game but its apparent there are still things to learn and hammer home with these guys. You cant go under screens when a guy is lighting you up. I saw way too much of that. Farell had some nice moments but nobody else really got it going on offense, which led to constantly being behind. The FT shooting is just maddening and puzzling. Evans is 1/10 on the season, something like that. Yan cant go 0/3 on a single trip. Overall I think the FT shooting has been crap, outside of late game situations (which I guess could be worse) but its also something you cant really fix.

Hopefully a few days of practice will get them back on track for Cleveland St.

While we looked absolutely awful, it was only one game. Only problem is the schedule gets much more difficult going forward.

UB looked great against us, but have at best inconsistent this year, which makes our shellacking up there even more puzzling. Even we when cut the lead to six points in the second half, I had no confidence in them getting it any closer. Much like the MTSU, it seemed like we were out of rhythm most of the night.

Cleveland St., Iona, FGCU and road games at Siena and UNI all could be losses even if we play better going forward. CSU is 6-3, Iona is 4-2 (just beat cc by 30), FGCU is 7-2, Siena is 5-3 w/ wins over Fla. State and Seton Hall, and UNI is 3-4 but 3-0 at home.

If we can go 3-2 against those teams, I will be thrilled. Need to cut down on the turnovers and offensive rebounds. Banks is Banks. He's never going to be an efficient shooter, but hopefully he can improve on his 35% shooting on 2s early.

Flowers is going to be key to this team, IMO. He is the only real scoring spark we have off the bench. Maybe Rumpel or Hill will become more of a factor, but Flowers had a strong resume from Hartford, so he's got to step up big time if we want to get another win streak going before A10 play.

Back