Bonnies vs. St. Joe's (Wed. 01/06/21 at 4:00 pm)

One of the biggest surprises of the season for me was discovering Taylor Funk is, somehow, still at St Joes. Looks like they nearly took down Rhody without Ryan Daly, CPA. Sounds as if he's day to day and that we should expect he'll suit up. I haven't watched Joes this year, but from box score scouring it seems they are a more or less a peskier version of last year's team.

For our guys I'm looking forward to another round of Roberts. Having had no non-conference, I hope to see a lot of Roberts in this game to get him a little more feel for things and warmed up a bit. Rhody isn't the most polished or skilled, but they certainly have bonafide A10 athleticism/physicality, and Richmond is, well, Richmond. It was baptism by fire for Roberts having those 2 games be his first two in a Bonnie uniform, particularly considering he was coming off of being sick and probably not in game shape.

Point being, we are in the infancy of seeing what Roberts can do for us. Especially given this was supposed to be a sit and learn/develop/get stronger. No doubt he has adjustments to make and things to learn if he's going to make the kind of impact in the A10 that he did in the MAC. He'll definitely need to bulk up a bit, too. He's shown some flashes in these 2 games of skill, though, that suggests he can definitely get there with patience and work ethic.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Hawks had, maybe, their best effort of the season without Daly. The kid has ability, to be sure, but, like Bishop at GW, he is a ball stopper. They’ll get theirs and have impressive season averages in the traditional stat line sense, but the broader offense is usually easier to defend.

Don’t come back to bite me, Ryan. You’re still a nice guy, one can be sure.

Oh, and while the size differential could be a problem, I’d have Adaway defend Funk. You don’t want Osun chasing The Funk Man around the perimeter all night, and my hope is that Adaway can beat him to the spot enough to discourage too many clean catch-and-shoot opportunities.

A great week at home to bring in a big man transfer as 10th man, but presume Schmidt won't do it. Will bite us later, or sooner.

A great week at home to bring in a big man transfer as 10th man, but presume Schmidt won't do it. Will bite us later, or sooner.
I do not believe any incoming transfer can suit up mid-season.

I do not believe any incoming transfer can suit up mid-season.
That's not true, there are plenty at the transfer portal labeled "immediately eligible." I don't know if always true or just post-Covid, as some teams had to cancel seasons etc. so they liberalized the transfer rules...

Who is out there? Cant just bring in guys who dont exist.

Go to the transfer portal, plenty of big men and eligible. Quality is another matter but you can see their history. Others have said that at least a couple of them SBU offered or scouted heavily, in any case familiar with several at least.

Billy Lange is not off to a good start at SJU. Granted only his second year, but 6-33 looks to be the worst 40-game stretch in SJU Hoops history.

Will the Hawks launch 40 threes like they did against Auburn and URI?

As I'm sure people have seen the Hawks will be without their number 1 option Ryan Daly today due to a "broken arm". Not having Daly didn't have a negative effect over the weekend when the Hawks were able to force overtime against URI. The short handed Hawks ran out of steam in OT but proved they shouldn't be over looked just because they are 0-7 and without their best player.

Checks notes - Ryan Daly has confirmed it is a thumb injury... not a broken arm as reported by some.

St Joes is dangerous if they get hot from 3. Other than that they are trash. I know they played a tough schedule but they got their asses kicked every time except for a couple. As long as the Bonnies come out focused they will cover the 12.5.

Shooting fixes everything. As it did last season. Keep Winn-ing. Guard the 3 FFS.

Believe it or not, we are 17th in the country in 3 pt defense. Teams are only shooting 25%. That will all change once we play Davidson and they shoot 13/17 from 3.
In the first half on Wednesday, as Joes continued to find the guy cutting down the lane time after time, my first thought was that Davidson has run that until we counter it, and then start popping 3s. I hate those guys.

Somewhere along the line (I don't know if late 1st half or in the 2nd) Loften was finally able to switch on the cutter off the screen and stole the pass. That seemed to take away that up to then very effective play.

Believe it or not, we are 17th in the country in 3 pt defense. Teams are only shooting 25%. That will all change once we play Davidson and they shoot 13/17 from 3.
I get that, but 3pt FG defense % is one stat i put the least stock in. We've played some crap teams and volume shooting teams. I see open looks, and as you allude to, if that's Davidson, yeah they fall mercilessly. If there's one area the eye test beats the shit outta stats, this is one.

Back