Bonnies vs. Richmond (Sat. 02/22 @ 6:30 pm)

Cayo is a lot better than he was last year. I am worried about him hurting us along with their guards lighting us up from three.
I don’t know how Richmond struggled so much with Lindsey, Anthony, Cline, Fore, Jones, and others that came before this current group. Heck, even with this skilled team Richmond only won, what, two ooc games a couple of years ago? The lazy approach would be to blame Mooney, but I don’t buy it. The aforementioned players seem to lack something Harper and those Sweet 16 guys all had... toughness. I wonder if this current group has it (and, for the record, I think they do).

Last edited:
Jive, you and @SBUnfurled need to team up for recon articles on sbunfurled.com. Between your breakdown and his info graphics that would some seriously great content.

Blackburn review does recon articles, and Sbunfurled I believe was already dubbed a "poor man's blackburn review thing you've got going on there", so it's a perfect idea.

We learn more about basketball from Jive's breakdowns, but who needs that? Our world view of useless information has been greatly expanded by Commenter's game previews. Passing lanes, moving screens, cutters, blah blah blah. Come on, Trump played on the squash team at Fordham. The Wright Brothers literally learned how to fly to gtfo the wasteland we call Ohio. We learned more about Erie (another wasteland) than we ever wanted to, or needed to.

Oh.. '84 are you going to the game this weekend?

There's room for both. It's kind of like our podcast. One minute you're hearing me imitate Pav moaning while eating Oreos, the next minute, Woj is talking about the recruiting advantages we have and how Carpenter has potential to develop. Idk about Unfurled, but I'm more than happy for Jive to come aboard and contribute. Jive is great. Churning out this content and dicking around on Twitter gets tiring, but you nut the fuck up when the crunch time of the A10 season is here. Like another smarmy asshole says, "we sleep in May."

I'm worried about Blake Francis. I feel like he'll be able to get free with Lofton keying on Gilyard. I'll be interested to see in the first 5 minutes on Saturday what defense Schmidt unveils after 8 days off. Getting the Tuesday/Wednesday cycle off couldn't have come at a better time for us.

No offense to Unfurled or A10Talk or anyone that contributes to those sites in an official capacity but my stuff will stay on the message boards and on twitter.

I really meant what I said at the beginning of my first long post in this thread. Davidson and Richmond being back to back just makes me look smart because I've read/watched detailed breakdowns of what they do. Otherwise, I'm good for an above average post 3-4 times a year and even less if you are waiting for an intentionally humorous one. I also like the back and forth that putting my thoughts on a board or twitter allows. Being only on here/twitter allows me to not feel pressured into making a post if I'm tied up at work or laid up with the flu like I was for the GW and Duq games. Also I don't feel as bad stealing other people's opinions and passing them off as my own insights if it is just on the boards.

In the future I might do a season or tourney preview on one of the sites but that is all highly dependent on how involved I am with projects at work. February/March is a good time of year for me to watch a shit ton of A10 hoops and be well informed. However November through January are budget season and year end for the day job, and I don't have time to be watching parts of 3-4 games a night.

We learn more about basketball from Jive's breakdowns, but who needs that? Our world view of useless information has been greatly expanded by Commenter's game previews. Passing lanes, moving screens, cutters, blah blah blah. Come on, Trump played on the squash team at Fordham. The Wright Brothers literally learned how to fly to gtfo the wasteland we call Ohio. We learned more about Erie (another wasteland) than we ever wanted to, or needed to.

Oh.. '84 are you going to the game this weekend?

Hey, that’s a great idea, ’85. You? Of course, I’ll have to survive Friday night at Four Mile and wherever else, and then maybe have someone make sure I don’t lose track of time wherever we’ll be pre-gaming on Saturday.

The more I reflect on this game, the more I realize I’m more interested in the way we play for 40 minutes than anything else. From the beginning, I’ve had all 4 games which we did lose, as well as this one, chalked as a loss with St Louis as a big question mark. With our 4 losses, it should be fairly obvious that the manner in which we lost 3 of them is a lot more bothersome than the act of having lost.

Richmond returns everyone next year, and so do we. Richmond is basically where we hope to find ourselves next year- on the cusp of a bid with the entire roster returning the following season. Being able to respond from a bad loss, and fight toe to toe with an NCAAT quality team is something we should be able to do if we want to realistically be an NCAAT quality team next season.

First, as to the word smarmy, I'm in favor of its usage here and think res can take justifiable pride in his ability to exemplify our accepted meaning. However, when I looked up the definition accepted outside the Bona fan world I found synonyms such as unctuous, ingratiating, smooth, slick, oily, fulsome. Admittedly, that is the British usage and we all know that the Brits don't know shit about the English language and they should spend a little time perusing this board to better learn it.
Now as to the actual subject of this thread, I like Community Bank's thoughts on tomorrow's game and would like to add this observation: the core of this very good (Kenpom rated #50) Spider team was there as sophomores last year when they finished 13-20 with a Kenpom rating of 203. Blake Francis was a great addition, but this still shows the importance of that added year of experience. It's a similar story at Dayton.

They also didn't have Sherrod most the year last year, so that is two starters from this year that weren't in the lineup last year.

Gustavson and Wojcik got a ton of minutes as true freshmen and are now over qualified 7th-8th men.

Yes, Sherrod missed most of last season. He did play in 6 games, 4 of which the Spiders lost. But I get your point, jive. Tangentially, the Bonnies also returned only a core of 3 players, and despite losing two valuable starters, the maturation of that core and some very talented additions has managed to boost the team's record to 17-9 from last year's 12-14 at a comparable point.

That’s how I feel, too. I expect them to play a lot better tomorrow.

Yeah, but doesn’t “I expect” flirt a little close to the line of your off limits “I can see” regarding this game??? Is it fair play because you didn’t start a sentence with it????

We’re going to need a ruling on this one.

H
Yeah, but doesn’t “I expect” flirt a little close to the line of your off limits “I can see” regarding this game??? Is it fair play because you didn’t start a sentence with it????

We’re going to need a ruling on this one.
lol! He actually posted something similar, too.

I’ll finish my thought for you, man. I expect to play better but lose by 8 or 9.

It’s different from “I can see us going 10-12 from three and winning by 50” as some BW guys would say.

Great win. Controlled the game from the tip, and played well in every facet of the game. Obviously, without that freak play it would have been a probably 8 or so point win, which would have better reflected the pace and control the Bonnies possessed all night.

The Defense was tight. They kept all their big guns in check, stayed home, played disciplined and did a great job contesting inside looks. Some might say Richmond just shot poorly from deep- but Bona contested the 3’s very well- and Richmond only shot a couple of percent worse than the Bonnies did from 3.

Offensively they played patient and attacked the rim nicely. When you shoot almost 10% below your in-conference average from deep, still control the game flow, and have success offensively- that’s balance.

Everyone contributed. There were plenty of hustle plays to be made . That’s a damn good win against a good team.

Chalk tonight up for Winston as a study the tape game. Once he consistently figures out how to stay within the framework of the offense, and play a little d, his offensive potential will make a night like tonight be an 85-71 win.

Was the defense better or did Richmond just clank a bunch of 3’s? Who cares, great win.

Shoon is a weapon as a passer. Needs to be utilized more.

Bobby was a factor.

2 seed could be realistic.

Back