Bonnies vs. Rhode Island (Sat. 01/25/20 @ 3:00)

Biggest game yet and the numbers in the above graphic make clear how evenly matched it's projected to be. Honestly, our current team reminds me a lot of Rhode Island's team last year.

Langevine is a beast, but Osun stood toe to toe and won down the stretch where it counted against him in their second meeting. Stay out of foul trouble and limit his second chance opportunities, which he excels at grabbing for his team.Fatts picked Kyles pocket 4 or 5 times in their first game and he dropped 18 to Kyle's 10, but the second time around it was no contest. Kyle held him to 6 while dropping in 23 and 5 of his own.

Dowtin is a tough mother and so is English. I hope those 2 are matched, if for nothing other than it being fun to watch. Vasquez's rotation with Welch and English will be huge. He'll probably see both Dowtin and Martin in that mix, and being able to be effective against that on both sides of the ball could be the push we need.

More importantly though is to come out firing and pumped. We came out scared as shit the last 2 games, it ended things before they started last Saturday.

Edit: This is the type of game we've really not had too many of. Relatively evenly matched in terms of talent, edge to the opposition in experience, a big game for both sides. A vintage A10 game, but to this point, the only one that comes to mind is UB, maybe Mason. A good learning experience.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping Schmidt is following his good friend Bill Belichick and being deceptive about information regarding Osun. First, it sounded like he was definitely out, then questionable, now maybe doubtful? I really hope this is all a smokescreen. I still cling to that Rutgers win as an example that we can do it without him, but we've lost to Canisius, VCU by a million, and Dayton by 900,000 without him since then. None of those games were at the Reilly Center, though.

Also, enjoy what I consider the most iconic moment from the last Bonnies-Rams game in our RC. Don't enjoy the video quality because I don't know how to rip video from my DVR.

Well that takes wind out of my sails if true, but fuck it. Either we find a way to win without his presence, or it cements how badly we need a second rim protector in our recruiting. Either way you escape with a positive?

Let's hope MS is just playing it close to the vest and he's fine... we're really going to need him tomorrow afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing Yankuba Camara...I mean Ikpeze getting another start.

Would love to see Carpenter get some solid minutes again tomorrow if OO is indeed out again.

Looking forward to seeing Yankuba Camara...I mean Ikpeze getting another start.

Soky.gif

Will we see the Bonnies that beat Rutgers or the team that lost to Ohio? Will they face the Rhody that whipped VCU in Richmond or the one that embarrassed itself vs. Brown? It's tough to figure it out, but if you like the Bona vs. Rutgers scenario you should bet on the Bonnies and get 3 or 3.5 points at Vegas.

Toppin and Langevine need to be mitigated today. Russell could very well be on or off. I would love to have Dowtin shoot contested jump shots, as he is inconsistent. Martin hurt us in the first matchup in Kingston last year, so he's another variable.

Dom needs to hit shots and we need to play great defense. Mixing up defenses may be the ticket. I trust Schmidt to have a game plan to get us to 5-2 against the odds today without Shoon. Pray that shots fall for us.

Russell being on is a big concern. He’s shot Rhody into and out of games over his career there. While that’s not unusual for guards, his extreme performances are what concerns me. One game he’ll be unguardable and hit everything, the next he’ll look below average and clank wild shots.
I don’t despise Rhody but obviously have my feelings towards them about Baron and the Hurley Effect. I definitely like beating ‘em and think we have a good chance today.

Presume I am the only one here who trekked to horrid Kingston for NCAA game in March 1968 when we dismantled BC 102-93. Slept on a motel room floor. If it had only been Kingston, Jamaica, I might have caught early Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff in concert. Billy Buts and Big Bob each scored more than 30. Iron Man 5 played all but a few seconds from friend and fellow 3rd Robber Vinny Martin. John Hayes, my high school then college bud--trust me folks, he was a junior Larry Bird in the making before his savage and poorly treated injury--chipped in with about 19 as I recall, on one leg. Great that he is finally going into the Hall next Saturday and he will be there, up from Florida.

Last edited:
Presume I am the only one here who trekked to horrid Kingston for NCAA game in March 1968 when we dismantled BC 102-93. Slepped on a motel room floor. If it had only been Kingston, Jamaica, I might have caught early Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff in concert. Billy Buts and Big Bob each scored more than 30. Iron Man 5 played all but a few seconds from friend and fellow 3rd Robber Vinny Martin. John Hayes, my high school then college bed--trust me folks, he was a junior Larry Bird in the making before his savage and poorly treated injury--chipped in with about 19 as I recall, on one leg. Great that he is finally going into the Hall next Saturday and he will be there, up from Florida.

What ?

Edit- no offense intended here. Just a post about a game 52 years ago on a game thread about today is so bandwagon, it hurts. Couldn’t resist.

Go Bonnies

Last edited:
Presume I am the only one here who trekked to horrid Kingston for NCAA game in March 1968 when we dismantled BC 102-93. Slept on a motel room floor. If it had only been Kingston, Jamaica, I might have caught early Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff in concert. Billy Buts and Big Bob each scored more than 30. Iron Man 5 played all but a few seconds from friend and fellow 3rd Robber Vinny Martin. John Hayes, my high school then college bud--trust me folks, he was a junior Larry Bird in the making before his savage and poorly treated injury--chipped in with about 19 as I recall, on one leg. Great that he is finally going into the Hall next Saturday and he will be there, up from Florida.
You are not alone, sir. A certain poster here called EddieBall also made that trek for the 1968 NCAAs.

I'm actually not even close to as worried about missing Osun for this one compared to VCU/Dayton. Langevine should have a great game, but I'm not that concerned about that if we shut down Fatts/Dowtin.

Check out the box score from the A10 semifinal win.

Langevine - 5/10, 15 points, 9 rebounds
Russell - 3/14, 0/7 from 3, 6 points, 3 assists
Dowtin - 5/13, 2/5 from 3, 12 points, 1 assist

Those two did not have efficient nights at all, while Langevine still got his. If you look at when we lost in RI last year, both guys were way more efficient. I feel good that Lofton will frutstrate Russell again, but it's going to be on English/Vasquez/Welch to shut down Dowtin. This was always the case with or without Osun.

I'm gonna need the first half/second half splits for Fatts because I feel like my theory was happening up until halftime...

Those early calls that didn’t go our way (at home) hurt us. Seems to happen a lot these days.

Russell is too damn good.

Back