Bonnies vs. LSU- NCAA Tournament 1st Round (Saturday, 03/20/21 at 1:45 pm)

I've always found it odd how little Simmons has talked/written about Bonaventure given his connections to the school. The only mention I ever recall was a wink wink nod nod 'never trust anyone from Saint Bonaventure' comment before Nicholson was drafted.
I'm curious, what connections does Simmons have to Bona?

And smug little Masshole is the best description of him I've read. Holy Cross alum, I believe.

I'm curious, what connections does Simmons have to Bona?

And smug little Masshole is the best description of him I've read. Holy Cross alum, I believe.

His wife Kari, who used to pen sections (likely actually written by Bill) in some of his columns under 'the Sports Gal', is a Bona grad. They were both on campus for some alumni event years ago I believe.

Reactions: res
There were a lot of shortcomings with the article, but against the grain of popular opinion on the board, I liked it.

Yes, it was unintentionally patronizing, poorly fact checked, and laced with hyperbole. At the same time, I thought it succeeded in capturing the spirit of such a large part of what fuels our pride as fans. I think we all agree that, as he put it 'punching above their weight class' is a huge part of why we are so pleased with our success. There's an intangible quality to that which is hard to explain, and understand, unless you're part of it. I thought the article did nicely in conveying that considering it wasn't written by one of our own, like some Mike Vacc pieces in the past.

The way I look at it is, as invested as we all are, we're going to be that much more sensitive to the parts that rubbed us the wrong way. It's important to consider your average fan who comes across this will probably gloss over all those points with little thought.

There were a lot of shortcomings with the article, but against the grain of popular opinion on the board, I liked it.

Yes, it was unintentionally patronizing, poorly fact checked, and laced with hyperbole. At the same time, I thought it succeeded in capturing the spirit of such a large part of what fuels our pride as fans. I think we all agree that, as he put it 'punching above their weight class' is a huge part of why we are so pleased with our success. There's an intangible quality to that which is hard to explain, and understand, unless you're part of it. I thought the article did nicely in conveying that considering it wasn't written by one of our own, like some Mike Vacc pieces in the past.

The way I look at it is, as invested as we all are, we're going to be that much more sensitive to the parts that rubbed us the wrong way. It's important to consider your average fan who comes across this will probably gloss over all those points with little thought.
That is why I thought it was a decent article. People outside of Bonaventure dont get the bond we have. I cant explain the connection and camaraderie that comes with being a Bona grad. One of my friends summed it up well: "We cant explain it and you wouldnt understand it". I thought the article did a nice job of shedding light on it. The inaccurate parts didnt bother me as much, I am used to reading that.

I have so many friends that went to SUNY schools or other colleges and dont have that connection. They could meet someone who went to Geneseo too and not give 2 shits. I come across Bonnies at the grocery store, airport, mall...you name it and every time its a 5 min conversation. My wife thinks there is something wrong with us but we all just have that bond. It is a hard thing to encapsulate but I bet at least a few people are going to read that article and look us up. Might even look into sending their kid or something.

I'm sure you've all seen this one, too. I'm not sure if its my browser or my stupidity, but I cant get a hyperlink to work, so I'm pasting the URL. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...e-st-bonaventure-bonnies-friendship-my-father

Either way, this is a well-done and poignant piece no matter who you are. As someone who has lost their father, and shared a special bond with him over the Bonnies, this one punches you. I'm sure I'm not the only one among us who has experienced that- tear-jerking, but a must read if so.

My God when will it be 1:45 on Saturday.

I'm sure you've all seen this one, too. I'm not sure if its my browser or my stupidity, but I cant get a hyperlink to work, so I'm pasting the URL. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...e-st-bonaventure-bonnies-friendship-my-father

Either way, this is a well-done and poignant piece no matter who you are. As someone who has lost their father, and shared a special bond with him over the Bonnies, this one punches you. I'm sure I'm not the only one among us who has experienced that- tear-jerking, but a must read if so.

My God when will it be 1:45 on Saturday.
Rayna Banks wrote it, she is a friend of mine and classmate from 03. That was a tough one to read but knowing her and her family made it tougher but it was really touching and well written. She said it will be on the front page of ESPN.com on Saturday before the game.

While some of you are ripping Wetzel, he picked us to beat LSU

What bold pick did you consider, but couldn't quite bring yourself to make?

St. Bonaventure to the Elite Eight, but they lack depth and tourney refs/foul trouble will get them.

While some of you are ripping Wetzel, he picked us to beat LSU

What bold pick did you consider, but couldn't quite bring yourself to make?

St. Bonaventure to the Elite Eight, but they lack depth and tourney refs/foul trouble will get them.
Picks are 4-3 in our favor. Winner of our game is picked 5-2 over Michigan, though both of the predictions for a Michigan win come against us.

OK, it's game day. The line seems to favor LSU by 1.5, but what do they know? Yesterday's results weren't a particularly great performance by the power conferences. The strange conditions of this season make statistical analysis more problematic than normal. The Bonnies are champs and LSU is not. We are on a roll, so let's show these hot shot SEC gunners what a lockdown defense can do to ruin their day. Go Bonnies!

Disappointing to go out like that, but we arrived a year early, picked up some hardware and an NCAA unit. Sets up nicely for an even more memorable season next year.

Last edited:
Let's add a couple depth pieces and run it back. Doms injury hurt us on the boards. I never thought we would get crushed like that in rebounding.

I've spent most of my adult life trying to convince people that Bonaventure was a legit program and much closer to the powers than they were other mid major programs.

Growing up through mostly Solomon years that included minimal highlights, I was convinced I'd never see SBU compete at a high level.

When Schmidt arrived, I was ecstatic when they won 15 games. I couldn't believe it. My freshman year at SBU we won 15 games that included a first round victory over Duquesne and we stormed the court. THAT IS how low expectations were for our Bonnies.

We thought it was that unimaginable to advance to the quarterfinals in the A10 tournament. We finished 15-16 that year. We also stormed when we beat Cleveland State. Pretty sure it was a hot topic on the bandwagon...

Fast forward to 2021. We are bitching that we didn't win our first round NCAA game and that we've only made three NCAAs in 10 years instead of five...Let that sink in.

This program continues to grow under Mark Schmidt and we continue to gain notoriety and clout or whatever despite our 15-point loss today. The loss hurts, but the 2012 results put us on the map for J. Adams and M.Mobley. The 2018 team helped us land OO, Dom and KL, and you best believe this 2021 club will help us with recruiting going forward.

No one wants to go out like we did today, but this team cares. I don't care if Kyle Lofton shot 3-3000 and had two Techs. That kid wants to win and loves Bona. I will take him on our team every single day of the week without question.

This team needs a few complimentary pieces and we will be ready to go.

November cannot come soon enough.

Stuff happens, but I'm very proud of these guys. They gave us a long eluded prize as undisputed A10 champions and they gave Bona untold national exposure. We're on the map and I hope we get everyone back next year as well as a few future legends.

Edit: BTW, I had the Bonnies and Longhorns duking it out for a ticket to the Final Four, so you know how fucked my bracket is and not to take any picks from me. However, it does point out that there has been a lot of strange stuff going on. This year's NCAA will probably forever carry an asterisk as the Covid Year.

Last edited:
Let's add a couple depth pieces and run it back. Doms injury hurt us on the boards. I never thought we would get crushed like that in rebounding.
I do think Dom's injury hurt us on the boards. Also, if the Bonnies could have made a few more shots, Watford, Days and Hyatt wouldn't have rebounded them. Tough shooting day, but better days are ahead.

Back