Bonnies vs. LSU- NCAA Tournament 1st Round (Saturday, 03/20/21 at 1:45 pm)

For what it's worth, LSU comes in 125th nationally in KenPom on D and 5th nationally on O. That puts their defense at the 56th out of the 68 teams in the field, last among the at-large bids. On the flip side, we rate 17th nationally in D and 38th nationally in O.

This is the protoype of the tournament game people want to see. The well-rounded, well-oiled machine vs the freak athlete, run and gunners.

Once more, let's be what we think we are, get the W and advance. My workplace productivity is at record lows.

I'll take the good defense over athletic hyped up offense any day of the week. LSU has seen defense like ours, it was St Louis and they left with a loss when French didnt even play.

I am glad the game is Saturday so everybody can watch it easily but sitting around all week I am going to drive myself insane. I managed to get myself suspended on Twitter until Friday so I cant even talk shit on there to pass time.

JP is on the money. I hate Wade for all the reasons he stated but at the same time, he is pretty likeable.

Last edited:
I randomly caught some LSU games over the last couple weeks and I have to say: I don't hate the matchup.

Watford is their inside presence on offense and he reminds me a lot of Tre Mitchell. Good face up game and ball skills at 6'9". Can back down opponents from inside the arc, and a nice enough jumper that you have to defend him on the perimeter. He's strong but I don't think has the same type of bouncy athleticism as our frontcourt does. I could see Adaway getting a few cracks at him on D.

Cameron Thomas is their first and most frequent (taking 32.6% of his teams shots according to KP, good for 23rd in the country) offensive threat. He takes a lot of threes, many ill advised and deep. Welch has been solid on the ball, so him and Thomas would be a good matchup.

Their defense is as-advertised. They're a bit undisciplined. If we move the ball as well as we have all year then we'll have plenty of good looks and lobs. Very winnable game as long as we can keep Shoon, Adaway and Kyle on the floor.

Last edited:
I watched a replay of the SEC championship game and, like all of you, checked their statistics. They will light us up from beyond the arc if we let them. They don't get a lot of offensive rebounds nor do they move the ball like some of our A10 brethren. Watford is a great talent, but there's a bit too much one-on-one with their offense. This seems like a match between fire (LSU) and ice (SBU). Should be great basketball.

I'm sure most of you have seen this article from Yahoo. A bit blunt, but not totally inaccurate.

While we don't exactly have start of the art facilities, I think saying we reflect more of a DIII school than DI seems to be a bit of a stretch. Compare us to non-football D1s and I would not say we are in over our heads by any stretch. He was also wildly off on the hoops budget (said it be $1.6M by Yahoo when it's closer to $4M.)

I guess I find it a little annoying when people are talking about ST. BONAVENTURE BASKETBALL, they seldom talk about what makes our hoops program attractive, but what makes our school unattractive. We've had bleak years as a school no doubt, but we had 2,000 undergrads in 1970 and now 1,900 in 2021.

Why do writers in Mass. take such offense to our success? Jeff Goodman, Bill Simmons and this guy?

I'm sure most of you have seen this article from Yahoo. A bit blunt, but not totally inaccurate.

While we don't exactly have start of the art facilities, I think saying we reflect more of a DIII school than DI seems to be a bit of a stretch. Compare us to non-football D1s and I would not say we are in over our heads by any stretch. He was also wildly off on the hoops budget (said it be $1.6M by Yahoo when it's closer to $4M.)

I guess I find it a little annoying when people are talking about ST. BONAVENTURE BASKETBALL, they seldom talk about what makes our hoops program attractive, but what makes our school unattractive. We've had bleak years as a school no doubt, but we had 2,000 undergrads in 1970 and now 1,900 in 2021.

Why do writers in Mass. take such offense to our success? Jeff Goodman, Bill Simmons and this guy?
Yep. Everyone seems to be praising it, but I thought it was a shitty article full of the same old misconceptions and generalizations. As you said, his budgetary stats are WAY off (we spend in the top 1/3 of D1), and the facility comments are asinine. Spoken like a true P5 shill who hasn’t been around a lot of D1 facilities.

Don't forget, the program started with Lanier. I liked that one, too.
Yep. As if Bob just sprung from the ground. It reminds me of the comments by Gimili, Son of Glóin, in The Two Towers...

Bill Simmons is a smug little Masshole, and anything west of the Hudson River might as well be Lewis and Clark's frontier.

Dan Wetzel is a know-it-all hack who can't let facts get in the way of his personal opinions or politics.

I don't know enough about Goodman, but I'll decide he sucks too.

Bill Simmons is a smug little Masshole, and anything west of the Hudson River might as well be Lewis and Clark's frontier.

Dan Wetzel is a know-it-all hack who can't let facts get in the way of his personal opinions or politics.

I don't know enough about Goodman, but I'll decide he sucks too.
Oh, fuck... Goodman is the worst of them all. The guy never delves below surface level, and his tone is sooooo condescending toward almost anyone outside the football factories and select Big East programs.

Aha.. he's on Stadium. Where was he prior? I know the name, but since he's on Stadium that's probably why I haven't read much of anything he's bothered writing. He surely has a punchable face.

Aha.. he's on Stadium. Where was he prior? I know the name, but since he's on Stadium that's probably why I haven't read much of anything he's bothered writing. He surely has a punchable face.
He had been with CBS, and then ESPN. His consistent downgrades in employer profile reflect his ability and critical thinking skills.

Everybody seems to be a liar nowadays. I hope I'm not catching whatever the fuck virus they've got. Whatever happened to the days of "just the facts, ma'am?" It's made me cynical, but I've got a bunch of other neuroses worse than that, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Anyway, that limp-dick writer was trying to build a case that we have something special by creating a false narrative that we're just a bunch of po' boy hicks. Believe it or not, he meant well.

I've always found it odd how little Simmons has talked/written about Bonaventure given his connections to the school. The only mention I ever recall was a wink wink nod nod 'never trust anyone from Saint Bonaventure' comment before Nicholson was drafted.

Everybody seems to be a liar nowadays. I hope I'm not catching whatever the fuck virus they've got. Whatever happened to the days of "just the facts, ma'am?" It's made me cynical, but I've got a bunch of other neuroses worse than that, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Anyway, that limp-dick writer was trying to build a case that we have something special by creating a false narrative that we're just a bunch of po' boy hicks. Believe it or not, he meant well.
I mean, they want Bona to be Hoosiers (part 2) and they'll spin the narrative for that to be true.

While there are some similarities, I don't recall Hickory taking private charters to road games and Coach Dale wasn't a millionaire.

Back