Bonnies vs. La Salle (Tue. 02/09/21 at 6:00 pm)

Let’s hope this game was the start of Kyle finding his 3pt range. Solid scoring balance in this one, well amongst our starters anyway. Not going to get much bench production this year at all.

When our guys hit shots they are unbeatable. I am sure Lofton has to feel good about hitting those 3's. They were not easy step and shoot 3's either so that was really encouraging. It looked bleak early but they clamped down and took over. Howard getting tossed certainly helped. Not sure what his deal was, you dont see coaches get run in the 1st half of a tie game very often. On to VCU!

Howard snapped for no real good reason. I think he was pissed about the bench warning/T they'd already received. If you read the LaSalle comments, their guy was raped on the drive and then also fouled on the rebound. Then if you keep reading LaSalle comments you realize they are all some incarnation of Explorer Steve. AJ got a hand on the ball to deflect the guy's shot, and the rebound was contested. As were many rebounds last night, many of which were physically taken by LaSalle on their offensive end. LaSalle fans always have a reason for why they lose and it's never because the other team was just better.

No slow start against VCU, I think the Rams will be ready to rumble.

The whole Technical situation was odd. Someone who is a ref on here can clarify if I have this wrong.

The LaSalle bench was clearly doing something during free throws to try and distract the shooter but with the benches being on the same side as the camera we couldn't see it. The bench technical was actually Howard's first T of the game. The head coach is charged with any bench technical regardless of reason. If an assistant is on the floor or says something to get T'ed it actually goes against the head coach..

When Howard came out to half court to argue the drive/rebound foul that was his second T. Which I assume his understanding was that was his second T so he was getting tossed already and wanted to get his money's worth at which point the refs tossed him and gave him a 3rd T. I'm not sure the 3rd T was the right call and was surprised when Lofton ended up shooting 4 free throws.

On a side note I think Chuckie had a stat the other day that Schmidt only has 1 T in the last 8 seasons. Which with A10 officials is kinda amazing haha

Give LaSalle credit. They are a pain the ass squad who doesnt quit and can shoot the 3 ball pretty decently. That said I was swearing at my television when the score was 22-13 about 8 or 9 minutes into the first half.

Aside from the one absurdly wild drive from AJ, I thought he gave us good minutes for the second consecutive game. I'm crediting the of-late improvements to his recent change in game-day hairstyle. Creal also gave us a couple of great hustle plays late in the first half that were pretty key to extending the grip we had on the game. I'd ask why neither of them got a shot at a few minutes in a second half that never got any closer than a 9 point margin, but what's the point?

Landmine averted. I had actually almost forgotten that we lost to LaSalle last year. That was one of the grossest games Ive ever watched. Happy they avenged.

We certainly do not want a repeat of the start we has last outing against VCU. This will be our 3rd game in 6 days which will be a real test of the stamina of a team with a short bench. Ossuny has been playing very steady. We need him to give us double digit points every game.

The whole Technical situation was odd. Someone who is a ref on here can clarify if I have this wrong.

The LaSalle bench was clearly doing something during free throws to try and distract the shooter but with the benches being on the same side as the camera we couldn't see it. The bench technical was actually Howard's first T of the game. The head coach is charged with any bench technical regardless of reason. If an assistant is on the floor or says something to get T'ed it actually goes against the head coach..

When Howard came out to half court to argue the drive/rebound foul that was his second T. Which I assume his understanding was that was his second T so he was getting tossed already and wanted to get his money's worth at which point the refs tossed him and gave him a 3rd T. I'm not sure the 3rd T was the right call and was surprised when Lofton ended up shooting 4 free throws.

On a side note I think Chuckie had a stat the other day that Schmidt only has 1 T in the last 8 seasons. Which with A10 officials is kinda amazing haha
There are 2 levels of technical, direct and indirect and there are also team technicals (book errors, delay of game...etc). It was really confusing because we didnt know who the first tech was on (the one that happened with Vasquez was at the FT line). Came to find out later it was on a LaSalle guard but I still dont know who. That was probably for disconcerting the FT shooter and it had to be at least the 2nd time they had been told that. Usually you wave off a FT if you feel the shooter was illegally messed with. Even if that T goes against Howard, that is an indirect. Same as if an assistant mouths off or any other bench personnell.

So the reason Lofton shot 4 FT after the ejection was because Howard picked up the rare double whammy and got 2 direct technicals and an early shower. Had he only got 1 direct, he could have stayed in the game. You need 2 of either category to get run so technically (no pun intended) you can get 3 T's before an ejection.

P.S. I noticed in yesterday's loss to St. Joe's that Howard was ejected once again for technicals. Yes, I was that hard up for entertainment that I watched most of that game. The man has control issues, or so it would seem. More to the point of Bona supremacy, I hope we don't get any dumb-ass technicals (or frustration fouls) in today's game with Davidson. That is just giving points away, something winners should never do.

Back