Bonnies vs Jackrabbits 11/15 8 PM

Bona03

Have to turn the page from a disappointing loss. SDSU is a pretty good team, although they are not as formidable as they were last year. Sound familiar?

The officiating was bad especially that missed call against Luc. But I also didn’t really see any foul calls against Bonaventure that weren’t… fouls. The big guys have no idea how to set screens and keep their feet on the ground down low. The slightest hint of a pump fake and they’re flying in the air giving up easy charity stripe buckets.

I think we’re going to have to deal with this facet of the team this year. Fortunately Amaduson isn’t a huge dropoff from Mellouk or Venning.

Was up most the night with a sick 7 month old, which gave me a lot of time to think about this game.

Luc gets locked in to trying to run the offense at times and that makes his passes predictable. Felt like several of his turnovers were on the initial pass to start the offense and SDST knew what was coming. When he settles in and just plays basketball his performance drastically improves. It will be interesting to see the time share of the guard positions when Rumple comes back. I think Luc could be a great change of pace PG that provides a spark off the bench.

Banks seems to be still getting used to playing 40 minutes and disappears for stretches. Its not uncommon in the Schmidt offense for a shooting SG to go missing at times, Mobley went halves without getting involved. Banks needs to find other ways to be involved though, whether that is crashing the glass or helping facilitate the offense.

Evans, Farrell, Hill - I have to assume that Evans and Farrell only know their responsibilities at the 3 and 4 respectively but I would love to see Farrell get some minutes at the 3. I thought Hill would be a better matchup when SDST played two bigs but he didnt get many chances with Farrell going off.

I wonder if Evans and Farrell should swap places in the lineup however. Farrell seems lost on guarding/helping on the block while providing shooting and Evans reminds me more of 21 Adaway that is more a slasher and off ball cutter. We havent seen Evans have to defend down low at all but when Farrell was in foul trouble the last two games I wondered if they could make the switch. (The offense component might be tough if they are struggling with the playbook at their position let alone two positions).

Evans didnt fill up the box score but he doesnt look lost which is huge for a freshman in Schmidt's system and I think with more experience he can unlock Schmidt's zone similar to LDG a rangy wing that lives in passing lanes.

Mellouk has to be smarter if he is going to succeed at playing the 5. SDST's big showed his senior experience and attacked all our bigs but had the most success at making Mellouk look his age. I think the starting 5 playing Schmidt's 1-3-1/ 3-2 zone could be a weapon come February but it is dependent on Mellouk knowing when to concede the layup rather than contesting everything.

Venning is the stereotypical pre-OO Bonaventure big. A plodding big body that has a couple low post moves and is foul happy. Amadasun is a similar player but not as far along on the curve of understanding Schmidt's playbook.

The foul disparity stood out and was talked about at length but we also got out rebounded and had 18 turnovers. I cant imagine the coaching staff is very happy with either of those facts. We only had 6 combined rebounds from our 5s that number has to get better.

Yeah, perhaps I'm off-base here, but I don't think we were totally jobbed last night.

Were there a few questionable calls, yes obviously, but in the three games I've watched this year, a team with decent bigs or guards that get to the hoop have done well with drawing a lot of fouls and getting to the FT line. That is unlikely to change in the immediate future, but hopefully it will.

I know some were questioning why we switched to a zone for the second half and I think Schmidt and Co. knew it would be hard to contain their bigs playing M2M.

Here are the foul numbers for our "bigs" through three games:
AM - 3, 3, 5
CV - 5, 3, 5
AH - 4, 4, 1

The first game was a bit of an outlier as no one had tape on us, but in the past two games, our opponent has gone to the free throw line 31 more times than us.

Agree with all of your points Jive except Luc off the bench. His mistakes are very fixable, and everything about his demeanor suggests he's quite coachable. I think 30 MPG for him is justified even after Rumpel's return and I can't see that off the bench.

Banks will need some relief with Rumpel's return. We're putting more on his shoulders than he should, or can carry right now. Part of that is a lack of overall guard depth. One of Rumpel or Flowers will need to step into a consistent third guard role if we want to see the improvements we all think/hope we can make.

I would like to scream your thoughts on Ferrel/Hill/Evans from the rooftop of Friedsam. On the surface it seems obvious that we could and should work all combinations of them. Give us Hill and Ferrell together for stretches.

Encouraged that Max seems like only a slight drop-off at the 5. Remaining serviceable in 5-8 mins a night with a 3rd guy will go a long way.

This last point is about as useful as complaining about the weather. But for the love of God, coach. Maybe, just maybe when you score 10 points in the first 11 mins of the second half, including a 4+ minute drought, you throw a different lineup out there to mix up what is obviously not working. All other excuses and reasons aside, the game was lost when we failed to extend a lead in the early second half.

Yeah I concede Luc off the bench might be a stretch. I just really want to see what Rumple brings to the table and hope he gets every opportunity to show it. My thought is with Rumple has more experience in the system and might have more command over the playbook which is something Schmidt values highly.

Yeah I was screaming for a lineup change too during the drought that 4 man group with whichever big was on the floor at the time just wasnt getting good looks and Flowers might have been able to create something.

Was up most the night with a sick 7 month old, which gave me a lot of time to think about this game.
Congrats on the sex.

As for Banks, he goes quiet for stretches and his 1 on 1 schoolyard play is frustrating. That stupid hook move on offense for his third foul had me screaming. But he is a very good basketball player and better at running the point than Holmes was when he had to step in for Kyle. He was absolutely everywhere on defense last night. He disrupted so many plays and often it felt like we had six guys on defense with how much ground he covered. I hated the way the game ended but frankly, this team played WAY better than they did against Canisius and there's plenty to be hopeful for in the future.

If only Luc lays that damn ball in instead of missing the dunk that led to a transition 3. There are so many things that go into the results of a game. Many of them already stated so I wont go into them. I liked how they played most of the game. Forcing 25 turnovers and holding them to 43% shooting is a blueprint for winning. If they did anywhere near that at Canisius they walk out of there with a 10 pt win.

Our guys foul, no doubt about it but the fouls were out of whack last night. Given all that, there is no excuse to miss or ignore the call on Luc in the final minute. That was a game changer. That is what pissed me off the most. When I do a game the thing we always talk about is we cant fuck the last few minutes. Teams dont have time to make up for it. Those guys fucked the last minute of that game.

Nothing can be done now. After Canisius I was plenty pissed at the team but last night I was pleased with the effort and play. On to Bowling Green

Nothing can be done now. After Canisius I was plenty pissed at the team but last night I was pleased with the effort and play. On to Bowling Green
I think Bonas03's statement really hit the nail on the head. The defensive effort against CC was really piss poor. CC would set a screen and the Bonas players just let them shoot open 3 without even trying to contest. Where Tuesday night the effort was there. I can live with a young team making mistakes due to inexpirence and being over aggressive. I can't live with a half ass effort.

1 other takeaway I have after seeing Flowers play in a couple ganes is Rumple should have no issues taking his minutes, once healthy. I actually think it's not hard to find 20+ minues a game for him, if Schmidt is willing to rest Banks for 10 minutes a game.

Back