Bonnies vs. Hofstra (Sat. 12/19/20 at 2:00 pm)

So I see some have picked Winston as their player to rip this year. There is always one. The kid is good, he needs to improve in some areas mentioned but hes a Soph and will be a difference maker.

BI, who is Univeristy at Buffalo? My scheudule says the Bonnies play SUNY Amherst next.

It was nice to see Lofton get a few breathers. It is important to keep him fresh. Also, Shoon is the MVP of this team. When he is out we really struggle on defense. His ability to stay on the floor will always correlate with our ability to win.
I don't want to rip Winston - but he seems to really struggle grasping the x's and o's of Schmidts playbook. I find this of particular interest because guys who have displayed confusion about the playbook on gameday usually find the bench pretty quickly with Schmidt. He definitely has the raw talent, but it seems he struggles in identifying when to attack and when to facilitate offensively. Hopefully with more PT and more time in Schmidt's system he'll gain the confidence he needs.

Shaw displayed some better athleticism than what we've seen from our backup 5s in the past, but his proclivity for fouling against a team like Hofstra is going to be a huge problem moving forward. Once we start A10 play I think we're going to find ourselves in the unenviable position we've been in for the past several years - having a fantastic 5 who can't get into foul trouble otherwise we're screwed. Of course it's important to look around the league and recognize how hard it is to get a solid 5 in the first place, but I think the best indicator of whether we win or not will be how many mins Osun plays.

It was a breath of fresh air to see Lofton take the game over a bit down the stretch when scoring dried up. I know it's not his game and he's incredibly unselfish, but sometimes we need him to have more of a playground mentality where he forgets everyone else and tries a little more aggressively to get some points.

Dom is going to have a beast of a year if he keeps it up. His d has been outstanding, and his ability to drive to the hoop has only improved. Big game coming up against SUNY Amherst, let's send 'em packing back to the town that Carl Paladino has defiled.

Last edited:
Winston has looked terrible. He’s a net negative on defense and on offense he tries to do too much. He’s catching the ball and immediately trying to score — even if he’s beyond the arc. Is he the new ayeni? No. But the criticism isn’t without evidence.

Hopefully he silences the critics (including me) soon. But he’s playing himself onto the end bench right now.
You could argue thst Schmidt' has been pretty generous with Winston'' playing time. How many players perfomed like Winston only to be sent to Schmidt's dog house never to come out. Winston's minutes may go away when Roberts returns to game shape.
I think we all see the Winton's potential and hope he figures ii out because he looks like he can be special.

Winston has looked terrible. He’s a net negative on defense and on offense he tries to do too much. He’s catching the ball and immediately trying to score — even if he’s beyond the arc. Is he the new ayeni? No. But the criticism isn’t without evidence.

Hopefully he silences the critics (including me) soon. But he’s playing himself onto the end bench right now.
I hear you. I am just not jumping to conclusions in a year where the whole summer was interrupted and then the beginning of the season was too. He has some bad habits that need to go but I see him as a positive contributor and I see the beginnings of irrational hate brewing.

So I see some have picked Winston as their player to rip this year. There is always one. The kid is good, he needs to improve in some areas mentioned but hes a Soph and will be a difference maker.
Over on the other board, some have designated Shaw to be this years target.

Personally, at this time, all I would opine is that they should not both be on the floor at the same time.

Winston as "unfair player to be ripped." I remember last year when same was said about Bobby P. after a few games. Look how that turned out. Sometimes you have to trust your eyes. A million guys "with talent" have failed miserably as talent was overrated or they just can't harness it and get with the system. When you see 4 guys on floor in one world and one guy off in a galaxy far away--you know there is trouble. And if a player "needs to play" to get better--but dooms team in the meantime--that's not going to happen, especially with Schmidt and when team is only (maybe) very good and not great and can't afford too many losses. Winston is perfect candidate for transfer and playing 30 minutes a game elsewhere and maybe getting better that way.

Over on the other board, some have designated Shaw to be this years target.

Personally, at this time, all I would opine is that they should not both be on the floor at the same time.

I would ditto that opinion. I would also remind those who don’t want Shaw on the floor that you really really should not want Winston at the 5 either.

Winston is still more raw than I'd like to see in year 2. But he has skills. In bursts he was electric last season. His problem is defense, and trying to make an offensive splash to impress the HC, and it's falling flat. Let's not rip a guy just yet in a 2 motherfucking game OOC schedule. I'd say, well, the rest of the A10 is in the same boat, but they're not. Only DUQ and FU have fewer than 4 games. The whole team is raw right now and it won't do any favors to the ones still developing. I hate to say but Schmidt is going to rely on his main 5 and wear the shit out of them.

Winston is still more raw than I'd like to see in year 2. But he has skills. In bursts he was electric last season. His problem is defense, and trying to make an offensive splash to impress the HC, and it's falling flat. Let's not rip a guy just yet in a 2 motherfucking game OOC schedule. I'd say, well, the rest of the A10 is in the same boat, but they're not. Only DUQ and FU have fewer than 4 games. The whole team is raw right now and it won't do any favors to the ones still developing. I hate to say but Schmidt is going to rely on his main 5 and wear the shit out of them.

For better or worse, I think you nailed it. Looks like another year of hopeful depth bites the proverbial dust.

For the record. I am a Winston supporter and wish him well. His upside is tremendous. Constructive opinion does not necessarily equate to "ripping" a player. I don't believe in doing that to a collegiate student athlete.

Back