Bonnies vs. George Mason (Sat. 02/01/20 @ 4:00)

Like I said, can’t knock your enthusiasm.

Reading on Twitter that Duquesne is a fraud doesn’t make them any less of a challenging game. They are a fraud in the sense that they aren’t a legitimate at-large, top 25 contender. They are capable of beating us, don’t forget they beat Davidson and St Louis to open A10 play.

Aside from the Davison team in Gibbs’ senior year where having him shoot 200 times a game was their strategy, we’ve rarely matched up well with Davidson, and still don’t. I don’t care what their record says, that game makes me nervous.

I think PY already covered all that needs to be said about Richmond. They’re still an at large contender.

I don’t think we are incapable of winning all those games either, but this is not last year or the year before’s Atlantic 10.

Last edited:
A lot of talk about how Winston has surpassed planutis. I don’t think there’s any question Winston is a better shooter but fucking hell he looks absolutely out of control with the ball in his hands.

It feels like he’s either going to make a highlight reel play or he’s going to drive wildly out of control and toss the ball up into the reds. He can definitely score but it’s almost never pretty....

I thought a couple of his takes yesterday were beautiful, to be honest, but I feel you. There are times he gets it and starts dribbling, you just know he’s going for it whether or not it’s really there.

Vasquez and English are guilty of the same thing, at times. A lot of that is maturity.

Winston buried a couple mid-range jumpers down the stretch and looked real comfortable doing it. There are times we'll need what Bobby brings, but offensively Winston just plays so much bigger and taller, and is a threat from any area of the floor.

Winston is not only going to trend into a mainstay in the lineup, but he's already got a dim green light from Schmidt on offense.

In the first half he jacked a three from the top of the key that nearly hit the protective foam of the backboard. I was shocked to not see Bobby jogging towards the scorer's table when the camera panned towards the defensive end. It's clear Schmidt has faith in his offensive ability, and that part of his game probably couldn't be questioned after his performance against Rutgers. Schmidt would be screwing over Winston's development and the program if he doesn't see the floor 25 minutes/game, and that's why he probably will the rest of the season.

At the risk of being a total Winston homer, here are some fun facts:

Our two highest per-40-minute scorers?: Winston and Vasquez
Our two most turnover-prone players per-40-minutes?: Winston and Vasquez

Last edited:
A win is a win but if Mason isn't atrocious from the stripe in the first half its a completely different game. We also struggled at that basket missing the front end of two 1 and 1s. There is no faster way to let a team back in the game than missing the front end of a 1 and 1.

GW is not terrible, especially if Jack is hitting 3s. It will be a homecoming game for him Wednesday night so keeping him under wraps is huge.

Winston buried a couple mid-range jumpers down the stretch and looked real comfortable doing it. There are times we'll need what Bobby brings, but offensively Winston just plays so much bigger and taller, and is a threat from any area of the floor.
This reply has nothing to do with your comment or the George Mason game. However, I was lurking on another board and noticed the discussion, presumably including you, regarding the first u in Duquesne and why (apparently in the logo) it appears smaller than the second one. Your observation that "it must be a French thing" is correct and here are some further details:
In French du is a contraction of a preposition, de meaning of, and the article le, which means the. So instead of de le, they say du. Further, Le Quesne is a small commune in the Somme district of Northwestern France, so I'm going to conclude that the 18th century governor of New France, the namesake of the university, had antecedents in Le Quesne. Now back to basketball.

Quite a good explanation, at least as it addresses nouns of masculine "gender", as we used to say when gender was strictly a grammatical term.

Quite a good explanation, at least as it addresses nouns of masculine "gender", as we used to say when gender was strictly a grammatical term.
Right. If Le Quesne were feminine, i.e. La Quesne, then there would be no contraction and it would be de La Quesne, sort of like de La Salle. But then the university would probably be named La Quesne. This would be a fine kettle of fish: the team mascot would definitely not be the Dukes and might have to change to something like "The Lackeys."

Reactions: res
Back