Bonnies vs. Fordham (Sat. Jan. 11, 2:00)

That second half was gross. Possibly the worst half of the year. And yet we won by 20. Speaks volume about how awful
Fordham is.

There wasn't much to like about it for sure. But that's going to happen and you hope it's against Fordham. Johnson and English looked like they were starting pair and Kyle and Dom are backups, they played well and sealed the game. But none of them could find Shoon. How? Ugly Winn. Take it and move on.

The first half was fine. I just got the sense of, let’s get this over with, for the entire second half. That’ll happen with young teams. And as res points out, it seems to happen with Mark teams, young or not. Everyone’s got their flaws. Onward and upward.

There wasn't much to like about it for sure. But that's going to happen and you hope it's against Fordham. Johnson and English looked like they were starting pair and Kyle and Dom are backups, they played well and sealed the game. But none of them could find Shoon. How? Ugly Winn. Take it and move on.

I am far from a basketball offense expert, but in my mind I was questioning Shoon's role in the offense, as it didn't seem like he was doing much to be active and look for the ball inside. I don't know whether that is him, or the offense they were running. I believe he wants the ball down low, so perhaps the offense was not designed to get it to him due to the defense Fordham was running. Ugly game, but I'll take a 20 point win.

Not gonna lie, I only watched the last 5 minutes and a couple plays in the first half because I was at a coworker's going away party. Very happy with a 20-point win, even though I threw a couple dollarydoos on us -20.5 (+300). The under still hit, so s'all good, man. I'll rewatch the game tomorrow to see how English got so many looks inside the 3-point arc and other shit I may have missed.

All of you that are going to Rochester gotta make sure you can help Our Guys get to 4-0, because VCU is 2-1 and looking at a road loss to Dayton coming up on Tuesday. If the 4-0 Bonnies were to somehow knock off VCU in Richmond, making them 2-3 and us 5-0, my nipples would be tingling for weeks.

The Bonnies continue to improve as we approach the meat of the schedule. I understand some of the frustration expressed above. Fordham was allowed to hang around longer than I expected, but when you look at the stats for the full game you have to be mollified. We got more rebounds, fewer turnovers, and more than double the points off turnovers. Outscoring your opponent by 34 to 6 on points in the paint is pretty good, wouldn't you say? It's amazing, and it sums up the predicament Fordham was in: they had to depend on the outside shot, so they jacked up 40 of them but connected on only 22.5%. Fordham got too many offensive rebounds and--due to that-- they got 7 more field goal attempts than the Bonnies. That's a problem, but I guess that sort of thing can happen when long-range misses lead to long rebounds.
I like the way Schmidt summarized the situation: "We're going to win games by defending, rebounding, and taking care of the basketball..."

Jaren does a lot of the little things that help win games. He gets after it in practice and brings that energy into games. He could be very good for us.

Kyle had a few Posley-like drives.

This core group reminds me a bit of that GW group with Savage, Garino, McDonald, and Larsen. The difference? That team had Armwood and Creek. Both were P5 transfers who added experience, toughness, and scoring ability to a young and talented team. We don’t have that this year, but English is definitely helping.

Fordham got too many offensive rebounds and--due to that-- they got 7 more field goal attempts than the Bonnies. That's a problem, but I guess that sort of thing can happen when long-range misses lead to long rebounds.

Many of the rebounds were due to playing zone. Regardless, the zone keeps Shoon out of foul trouble and it's been effective.

As citizenx pointed out, the huge disparity in paint points is huge. The offensive rebound disparity is partly because they were jacking up low % threes that caromed back out to the perimeter— they had a number of those lucky bounces.

This was a good ‘beat the spread’ outcome — especially with our team leader on the bench for 10.

There wasn't much to like about it for sure. But that's going to happen and you hope it's against Fordham. Johnson and English looked like they were starting pair and Kyle and Dom are backups,
FWIW I thought Johnsin looked a lot more comfortable at point then he did earlier in year.
Against FAU and San Diegio he pounded the ball into the ground and the offense seemed to come to a halt.
This game he seemed to get the offense started much sooner after crossing the time line.
It gives me some comfort he can run the point between. 5 to 10 minutes a game to rest Kyle and protect him from foul trouble.

Back