Bonnies vs. Duquesne (Fri. 01/15/21 at 7:00 pm)

Only question/concern is who guards Marcus Weathers. We are better than the DUQes at every other position, but Weathers is now their top option and I wonder if he'll exploit our lack of size at the 4. Adaway and Welch have done a great job so far, so I think they should hold their own. Weathers dominating is the only way I see us dropping this one.

bonniesdukeslionking.png

Only question/concern is who guards Marcus Weathers. We are better than the DUQes at every other position, but Weathers is now their top option and I wonder if he'll exploit our lack of size at the 4. Adaway and Welch have done a great job so far, so I think they should hold their own. Weathers dominating is the only way I see us dropping this one.

View attachment 246
We did a fantastic job on Weathers last year (only 4 points in the first game, 7 in the second), and that was with Winston and Bobby P. defending him. I'm not saying I'm not worried about Weathers, and he'll surely score more just based on Carry, Austin, Steele, and Norman all being gone, but I'd much rather have Adaway/Welch on him than the Winston/Planutis combo. Osun also did a great job rotating over and swatting a few of Weathers' takes when he did beat Winston to the rim, so hopefully that can continue with no cheap foul calls.

Let the boys play tonight!

Weathers has really struggled from the FT line this year, if he does become a problem slashing to the hoop we might want to consider fouling him. That was the only way GW could stop him. Hopefully it isnt a close game but if we go to the foul/extend the game mode Weathers is the guy to send to the line.

I worry about Hughes emerging as a bigger offensive weapon in the post Carry era. He and OO have had some battles and in one of the games last year both were in foul trouble much of the game.

As a fan of basketball I'm sad to see Carry leave Duq because he and Lofton brought be best out of each other. But as a fan of the Bonnies I'm happy to see him go and willing to live with TDM bombing 3s. He is shooting sub 30% from deep this year and the Bonnies have been great at guarding the line which means he is probably going to go crazy tonight.

We did a fantastic job on Weathers last year (only 4 points in the first game, 7 in the second), and that was with Winston and Bobby P. defending him. I'm not saying I'm not worried about Weathers, and he'll surely score more just based on Carry, Austin, Steele, and Norman all being gone, but I'd much rather have Adaway/Welch on him than the Winston/Planutis combo. Osun also did a great job rotating over and swatting a few of Weathers' takes when he did beat Winston to the rim, so hopefully that can continue with no cheap foul calls.

Let the boys play tonight!

I feel ya, for some reason in my mind, Weathers is bigger than 6'5". He plays bigger than that, but so does Welch and especially Adaway. You and I talked about Dunn-Martin/Doug Martin nailing a bunch of threes as another way we could lose. Unless TDM has an out-of-this-world night, I feel like he'll be too inefficient even if he scores, say, 20 points on 6 threes or something.

That’s a game for any variety of reasons we lose in the past. I continue to be concerned by our putrid 3 ball shooting though, that will definitely bite us eventually.

A win is a win but, again, struggling to beat, at home, a mediocre team which just lost its two best players. The problem with saying "we are not yet hitting on all cylinders" is--are you sure about those cylinders? Many good players have off-years, for entire year, with their 3-point or other shots. They are always going to be undersized vs. a better and bigger opponent. The bench is apparently not going to get any longer and now there are questions about Roberts. Love this team (with Holmes and Adaway) and the effort will always be there, fun to watch, but "grinds" against so-so or weak teams do not instill confidence for facing good teams and the tourney.

The Dukes aren’t a weak team. They lost some good players unexpectedly, but that isn’t some bottom-feeding A10 roster.

We are fine. A few of our guys will see their perimeter shots revert to the mean. I’d be far, far more concerned if we weren’t hammering teams on the boards and locking things down on D.

Let’s hope Roberts comes back into the fold soon. We need that extra scorer/ball handler off the bench.

What is the deal with Roberts? He's got a lot of promise with this team and we need starters spelled for chunks at a time. That box score is a joke wrt MP.

I thought the team look out of sorts but the rebounding and hustle were there, so it was probably a bad read. Just awful offensive play around the rim and beyond the arc. They were not getting their preferred looks and Duquesne D had a lot to do with that. Shoon did very respectably against Weathers on defense. Vasquez with a spark. Might have to get used to ugly Winns.

Back