Bonnies vs. Dayton (Mon. 03/01/21 at 5:00 pm)

Now that I have had some time to sleep on it and forget the fact the people running the A10 are a shitshow of fuckfaces...

The bad:
Q3 loss that isnt going away
Offense was just nowhere to be found. If you hold a team to 55 pts you should win. Shoon busted his ass to keep them in the game but nobody could hit a shot. I also thought Lofton should have taken that last shot. He had a big opening and it was the same shot he hit vs Richmond. I'll take a straight on 3 any day.
We burned any equity we had and now have to win Friday. No exceptions
1st half was really head scratching officiating. Lofton got raped by Crutcher right before the half and no call. Ref was right there, how could he pass on that? Unless they wre protecting Crutcher, which is BS. Then of course that MF'er goes down and hits a shot at the buzzer. 4 pt swing. Lofton has to keep his mouth shut. He has a target on him and with no crowd they hear everything. Granted he gets fouled many times without whistles but we cant have T's.

The good:
The Q3 loss might become Q2. Dayton moved up to 86 in NET so needs to jump 9 more spots. Would require 2 wins in the A10 but that is not impossible
We only fell to 32 in NET and dropped 3 in KenPom.
Our defense is really fucking good
Shoon sealed up DPOY
We are still in the field and kind of safe but a loss before the semis would mean curtains for the season. Yea...NIT but nobody wants that.

Good post, '03, I agree completely.

And to those of you who are complaining about the league, the Committee and the Fates (you know who you are, my friends), just stop. You're starting to sound like those poor little Bonas sadsacks over on the Wagon.

We're a big dog this year, a big dog that let a winnable game get away. Nothing else to do but lick our wounds, catch some rest and kick some ass later in the week.

I agree. If anyone, I'm mad at Dayton. Dayton has THREE losses to pillow fighters. Take away those losses, and they'd have an at-large worthy resume- maybe the best one in the entire conference. Hell, even if they won only 1 of those pillow fighter games (certainly a reasonable request!!) this would have at least only been a Q2 loss.

Fact is though, this game scared me all the way back in January when I posted a rant about how a fringe Q2/3 team like Dayton carrying the same weight as a road game against Canisius seemed off kilter. They are the perfect recipe for a team that can bite you in the ass.

Winn Friday, no matter who we play, if we are truly who and what we think we are. That's it.

I agree. If anyone, I'm mad at Dayton. Dayton has THREE losses to pillow fighters. Take away those losses, and they'd have an at-large worthy resume- maybe the best one in the entire conference. Hell, even if they won only 1 of those pillow fighter games (certainly a reasonable request!!) this would have at least only been a Q2 loss.

Fact is though, this game scared me all the way back in January when I posted a rant about how a fringe Q2/3 team like Dayton carrying the same weight as a road game against Canisius seemed off kilter. They are the perfect recipe for a team that can bite you in the ass.

Winn Friday, no matter who we play, if we are truly who and what we think we are. That's it.
Agreed. Same with Richmond...We could realsitically be a five-bid league this year if things broke our way and Richmond, SLU and Dayton didn't drop a handful of bad games.

The main issue I have is the A10 had last night's game scheduled for Sunday....WHY??

I don't know what to make of last night's abomination.

The A10's incompetence has nothing to do with Lofton taking a bewilderingly unnecessary technical, horrific shot selection, nonchalance on loose balls, or calling two timeouts in the final minute to get three long Jalen Adaway jump shots. We should have beat Dayton at home and we blew it. It may cost us a bid.

That said, part of my anxiety that the loss induced is due to the feeling that we have no one fighting for us and the A10's decisions over the past few weeks aren't inspiring any confidence that that will change leading up to Selection Sunday. Why in God's name would you schedule a Q3 game for your league's most viable at-large candidate against the most hot and cold team in the conference? Why are you having your league's most viable at-large candidate play their 4th game in 9 days 45 hours after their last game ended when they already have 1st place clinched? Especially when it is going to be an extra game played versus the team in 2nd place! And that the dangerous inconsistent Q3 opponent is coming off 4 days rest!

What good came from last night's game? Seriously, who was it good for? And not to be crass, but yesterday's sad news would have given a perfectly reasonable explanation for a cancellation if optics had been the reason to go forward with the game. It reeks of administrative incompetence and a tepid reluctance to make decisive 'big picture' calls.

And Tim Kenney should not be absolved of blame. We need to stop worrying about ruffling feathers and start fighting for what's in OUR best interest. If the A10 needs to be pushed to protect Bona then Kenney better give them a goddamn shove.

I don't know what to make of last night's abomination.

The A10's incompetence has nothing to do with Lofton taking a bewilderingly unnecessary technical, horrific shot selection, nonchalance on loose balls, or calling two timeouts in the final minute to get three long Jalen Adaway jump shots. We should have beat Dayton at home and we blew it. It may cost us a bid.

That said, part of my anxiety that the loss induced is due to the feeling that we have no one fighting for us and the A10's decisions over the past few weeks aren't inspiring any confidence that that will change leading up to Selection Sunday. Why in God's name would you schedule a Q3 game for your league's most viable at-large candidate against the most hot and cold team in the conference? Why are you having your league's most viable at-large candidate play their 4th game in 9 days 45 hours after their last game ended when they already have 1st place clinched? Especially when it is going to be an extra game played versus the team in 2nd place! And that the dangerous inconsistent Q3 opponent is coming off 4 days rest!

What good came from last night's game? Seriously, who was it good for? And not to be crass, but yesterday's sad news would have given a perfectly reasonable explanation for a cancellation if optics had been the reason to go forward with the game. It reeks of administrative incompetence and a tepid reluctance to make decisive 'big picture' calls.

And Tim Kenney should not be absolved of blame. We need to stop worrying about ruffling feathers and start fighting for what's in OUR best interest. If the A10 needs to be pushed to protect Bona then Kenney better give them a goddamn shove.
Amen. You took the words from my mouth. Especially the last two paragraphs.

I already unloaded on the A10 board but I echo mlh. Bonnies have to play better but the conference did them 0 favors with the unnecessary gauntlet the last 10 days were.

Losing to Dayton by a few points is just a blemish we'll overcome. You get a lemon and you make lemonade. Kenpom rates the Bonnies #1 in offense as well as defense in the A10. I don't like losing and I hate to continually lose to Dayton. It's like they have some kind of mystic power, but I am happy we don't face SLU in our first tourney game. I have a not totally unfounded fear that SLU or Davidson will win the brass ring for the A10. However, this team has gumption as well as skills. And they've got pride. Those blocks by Osun almost made me delirious. And I love, love, love that clip someone posted showing Adaway taking practice shots long after the RC was empty. We're probably well ahead of where most of us hoped we would be at the end of the regular season. The guys will be rested and have fire in the belly come Friday AM. These situations are what makes us sports fans.

I didn't realize scrapping the game was on the table until reading a game article this morning. Nobody would have held it against TK if he'd done that. Except maybe Bernie, but at this point in the season what is she going to do? Are you keeping her happy because she's on the selection committee?

Yesterday started as an awful day for the university, and finished with a somewhat unsurprising disappointment on the court. But other than the 3 minutes of red carpet defense early in the 2nd half, I didn't see much to complain about except for the fact that nobody could shoot. That happens. The defense, save those 3 minutes, never wavered. How many times can you get a stop and come up empty? But they kept doing it, all credit to that defense, but clearly pressed too hard on the offensive end.

The 4 games in 9 days was not ideal. But we need to move on from "covid life" and thinking we're always going to get to pick and choose our schedule. This season was just wacked. But we were supposed to host UD this season, and we did, and needed to win. I don't know who got to sit in on the A10 scheduling meetings to lay out those final 9 days of the season, but we needed an advocate in there. There was no reason to return to Davidson. We'd have been even up on game count with VCU if we'd played just the GW and UD games. But next year, god willing, we're going to get a league schedule and we're going to have to play it out. And if it involves #325 SJU in Philly on March 6th, 2022 and we're on the bubble, we can't advocate skipping it because it might hurt our resume.

It's complicating the feelings of all of us. I don't think we're wrong to feel slighted by the conference, or that there seems to be a "favorite" so to speak. It's time Bonaventure starts looking out for Bonaventure first. Throw some weight around. Tell Bernie the Spiders get to play D3 games to re-tune from covid and we have to do what in 9 days? No ma'am. Bring us a revised draft.

I am as big of a Dayton fan as they come... but between the A10's questionable scheduling down the stretch and Dayton's 'tale of two teams' this was a nightmare matchup for SBU to cap of a great year for y'all. If we didn't have the makeup game with St. Joe's (and lost) last week you guys probably just took a Quad 2 loss. Instead, Dayton has scarred SLU, Davidson, and the Bonnies, not to mention themselves this season. All that being said I am cheering for y'all on the other side of the bracket and hoping for a rematch in Dayton for a chip, an outcome where we both make it to the NCAA's. A Dayton fan can dream.

Back