Bonnies vs. Davidson (Friday 02/14/20 @ 7:00)

Schmidt getting outcoached. Embarassing stuff.

At least St. Bonaventure doesn't harbor neo nazis like davidson does!

It makes sense because Davidson has LITERALLY made 88 threes tonight, folks...

Squandering the monster gift we got Wednesday. Not surprised. We dont match up or play well against good shooting teams. 20 minutes still. We can't keep going one and done though.

Squandering the monster gift we got Wednesday. Not surprised. We dont match up or play well against good shooting teams. 20 minutes still. We can't keep going one and done though.

It sucks getting killed on national TV, but if I had to pick a game to lose out of Davidson/Richmond/Duquesne, I'd take this one because I think Davidson has too much ground to make up for the tiebreaker to come into play. Davidson still has to play Rhody, @Dayton, @Richmond and VCU.

There's nothing to say about tonight, so let's make things interesting: do you guys dare me to fight Bill Russell in a North Union roundabout in sub-zero temperatures tonight?

yes.gif

Only other thing I gotta say about this one is that other than Dayton, Davidson is the team I want to face the least at A10s. I dont give a shit what you guys have to say about the team's efforts. They showed up ready to play, the first 5ish minutes were very good. There was a sequence midway through the first when Davidson made three passes around the 3-point arc, from corner to corner, in about 2.7 seconds, which ended in a Kim made three. That told me everything. I don't know what else we could have done, given what our defense is.

We don't interrupt passing lanes and we let teams shoot 3s. Even though I think we have better talent, that combo means they're gonna beat us 8 out of 10 times.

There's nothing to say about tonight, so let's make things interesting: do you guys dare me to fight Bill Russell in a North Union roundabout in sub-zero temperatures tonight?
The city will erect a statue of bronze to commemorate my victory.

View attachment 148
Hey ESPN...fuck you for this “matchup predictor.”

Of all the teams in the a10, I care the least for Davidson due to several reasons: 2016 a10 quarter loss with the infamous Sullivan dagger, constantly raining threes upon us in every game they play vs us, reaping the residual effect of Curry and getting unwarranted love from the media, underachieving in the OOC fucking always somehow, being an international team, and playing in the gray area of cheap holds, pushes, and screening without getting called for that shit.

Grady has not had a great year, but he surely wants to light us up in the RC a la the 3OT game during his freshman year. JAG will complain at every possible moment if a call goes against him. Lee needs to be closed out on (as does everyone except their Austrian national). I’m just going to pray that they miss tomorrow night and don’t back cut the shit out of us. If Carter Collins or some other guy (Jones) start hitting threes tomorrow, I’ll lose my shit.

But I digress...Go Bonnies!

We can’t deal with them until a few things happen-
JAG and Grady both graduate (Grady is a junior).
Their replacements aren’t quite as good.
Lee, Jones, etc. plateau.
Every one of our players understands the complexity of what DC runs for offense (2 years for that to happen).
We get one more kid who wants to play D and beat the school that Steph Curry attended.

I once thought that we could out-athlete them and win most games (back when they first joined the A10). Now, we can’t. They’re A10 athletes with traditional Davidson skills. Fuck! There simply weren’t enough rebounds on our defensive end to make a difference... athletes or not.

I knew their 32 would hurt us. He’s been playing better lately and is a spark. Like Ekwu before him, he is a part of that fucking machine.

I don’t think we should burn the tape on this one. We need to figure some things out against teams like DC and VCU if we expect to do anything meaningful with this sophomore class. Let’s look at this performance and make sure everyone has a change of attitude.

Game over. Hopefully I’m allowed to react and say it was one of the worst bona games I’ve seen —post soloman. Planutis should have a consistent red light on offense and well-worn position on the bench barring a “break the glass scenario.”

I don’t think we should burn the tape on this one. We need to figure some things out against teams like DC and VCU if we expect to do anything meaningful with this sophomore class. Let’s look at this performance and make sure everyone has a change of attitude.

I agree with this. As much as I don't want to rewatch that one, this isn't Dayton/VCU when a calamity of pre-game errors meant we never had a shot. We had a full squad at home with an essentially sold out crowd. Davidson exploited the same damn weaknesses I drunkenly explained after the Duquesne win and soberly confirmed before tonight's game after checking with That Nerd KenPom. Our style of defense is ferocious, but even when we play man, teams can shoot over us with the way we rotate. If a team like Davidson (who is always good at 3s) or VCU (who strikes gold and hits a bunch of 3s early) starts clicking, we are dead in the water.

We never saw the Lofton/English/Vasquez/Welch/Osun lineup I mentioned pregame. If we do play Davidson at A10s, that lineup NEEDS to see some run. As much as I think Winston is a million miles ahead of Boca Bobby, Davidson's particular style exploits our usual starting 5. That's why even Kim and who-gives-a-fuck Jones were even hitting. Those chodes are always option #4/5 in their offense.

Game over. Hopefully I’m allowed to react and say it was one of the worst bona games I’ve seen —post soloman. Planutis should have a consistent red light on offense and well-worn position on the bench barring a “break the glass scenario.”

I wouldn't play Sen. Planutis unless Winston had 3 fouls in the first half or was about to literally cough up a lung. Move Welch to the 4 or maybe try Carpenter/Ikpeze. Bobby is an absolute liability on both ends.

I’ve tried to give Bobby a chance but he is plain and simple not an A10 athlete. I tried hoping it was nerves, rust, whatever early on when the likes of Siena and Mercer seemed athletically disruptive to him, but lo and behold, ifs deeper than that.

All the above points made about how our defense doesn’t match Up with their offense are true, and legitimate - but like, what the fuck do we do with that? There needs to be something more of answer to that than the one we’ve come up with thus far. We were lucky enough to keep up with them in that 3 OT thriller and get bailed out by a makeup call that fouled Aldridge out, but aside from that. The last few years we’ve gotten beat by a lot worse of a margin than the true talent margin is.

I have no answers - I’m as shell shocked by the idea as all of us. Apparently Coach is at a loss as we are. Nevertheless- as PY said above, we better figure it out if we want to make anything of the sophomore class that, at most times feels like it could be special.

Last edited:
Bill- I Respectfully disagree that effort wasn’t an issue. Sure, we came out punching, but what did we do beyond that? We came out punching and expected it to be enough, and when they punched back we got knocked on our ass. And when they punched a second time, we metaphorically lifted our wrists up to protect our faces and accepted the ass beating.

Once it became a double digit game, it was over. We reverted to a scared, one on one and/or hurried 3 point style of offense coupled with a defense that simply wasn’t working. Effort is a relative term- maybe we were still trying Hard, but we shriveled up to a form of play that wasn’t getting it done.

I think I love our future, but fuck, man. The jay and posely eras - we suffered some bad ones, but never allowed ourselves to get truly embarrassed like we did tonight. And that’s the third time inside of a month that we have gotten shelled like that.

What has me most befuddled though is, why the fuck is this just us, seemingly? I get why we’re a bad matchup. We’re not athletic enough to totally dominate their discipline with athleticism, and not disciplined enough to match up with their discipline: But how in the fuck do other A10 teams who would, In theory have the same issues, beat them? Duquesne is a near perfect example.

I understand a lot of this is just spewing frustration but fuck, man. This one is sticking in my ass, and hard to shake.

Last edited:
Bill- I Respectfully disagree that effort wasn’t an issue. Sure, we came out punching, but what did we do beyond that? We came out punching and expected it to be enough, and when they punched back we got knocked on our ass. And when they punched a second time, we metaphorically lifted our wrists up to protect our faces and accepted the ass beating.

Once it became a double digit game, it was over. We reverted to a scared, one on one and/or hurried 3 point style of offense coupled with a defense that simply wasn’t working. Effort is a relative term- maybe we were still trying Hard, but we shriveled up to a form of play that wasn’t getting it done.

I think I love our future, but fuck, man. The jay and posely eras - we suffered some bad ones, but never allowed ourselves to get truly embarrassed like we did tonight. And that’s the third time inside of a month that we have gotten shelled like that.

What has me most befuddled though is, why the fuck is this just us, seemingly? I get why we’re a bad matchup. We’re not athletic enough to totally dominate their discipline with athleticism, and not disciplined enough to match up with their discipline: But how in the fuck do other A10 teams who would, In theory have the same issues, beat them? Duquesne is a near perfect example.

I understand a lot of this is just spewing frustration but fuck, man. This one is sticking in my ass, and hard to shake.

The numbers nerds and wannabe coaches here will disagree with me, but there’s an element of bad luck involved when teams shoot like that against us. Davidson has quietly been shooting the shit out of it and getting production from their young guys... they’re rolling.
Posley’s nutsack won games and kept us in others. Stockard was the best player on the floor (#s don’t tell you that, watch the fucking games!) in what, maybe 3/4 of our games last year? Our guys aren’t quite to that level, yet.

As Community Bank said, what do we do? Jive36 will hopefully give us another breakdown, but we have weaknesses and inexperience at key positions this year and it hurts us.

Ditch the modified pack line, be willing to give up some post points, find another Andell or Dris, don’t help off wing shooters, etc. etc. blah blah fuck.

Hopefully our very engaged friend on the bench, Jalen Adaway, can be that hard nosed Andell/Dris you speak of, at least with defensive efforts and the little things.

Gotta hope too that, like you said, we have young guys who just aren’t there “yet” but ass kickings like this and a full off season help them get there.

Last edited:
Back