Bonnies vs Alfred 11/2

Bona03

Yea its just Alfred but lets get some conversation going. Outside of a 50 pt win, what are you looking to see tonight?

Shutdown defense. That will tell us more about how the season will go than anything. Oh, and 12 guys with actual minutes played.

Schmidt always plays everyone in the exhibitions. I am wondering what combo of players we will see together. I assume whoever starts tonight will start Monday as well so I am interested in that.

Hi all! So it's finally basketball season again. I hope the Bonnies win a lot of games, but I am prepared for an extended learning experience. I listened to the Alfred exhibition on WPIG via the internet. It sounds like we have four credible players and several more hoping to play an important role. My fan enthusiasm is much lower this year, so let's see if this new group can do something to whet my appetite.

Hi all! So it's finally basketball season again. I hope the Bonnies win a lot of games, but I am prepared for an extended learning experience. I listened to the Alfred exhibition on WPIG via the internet. It sounds like we have four credible players and several more hoping to play an important role. My fan enthusiasm is much lower this year, so let's see if this new group can do something to whet my appetite.
Insert fingah, sniff unwashed and then scream out either "ALL FOR JESUS!" or "PISSAH!". Should get your adrenaline pumping.

Pissah!

Aloha!

That was easily the most entertaining exhibition I’ve seen merely because I actually learned a lot about this mysterious team.

1. I think Banks and Luc are better than advertised. Hard to judge talent versus a d3 team but they both showcased a lot of leadership and seem poised to become Schmidt's guys who never leave the floor. Flowers obviously had a rough night and is pressing right now. He'll find his groove but hopefully does it soon before he lands in the infamous Schmidt doghouse from which no one has ever escaped. Will be interesting to see what Rumpel adds to the equation when healthy.

2. We might see more presses this year and I hope we do. Luc is clearly a speedster who can cover a lot of ground and cause mayhem all over the court. But in order to do that, your guys have to have fresh legs. Maybe that's where Rumpel and Flowers come in.

3. Put any combo of Evans, Farrell, Hill or Mellouk at 3-4. They all looked impressive. Whoever learns the Schmidt playbook the quickest will earn the start.

4. The 5 is going to be a problem. Even against an undersized D3 opponent, Venning and Amadusen looked outmatched. Venning had a couple decent defensive plays but also looked out of breath after just a few minutes. Might be worth going small here, especially if the aforementioned press becomes part of the playbook.

That was easily the most entertaining exhibition I’ve seen merely because I actually learned a lot about this mysterious team.

1. I think Banks and Luc are better than advertised. Hard to judge talent versus a d3 team but they both showcased a lot of leadership and seem poised to become Schmidt's guys who never leave the floor. Flowers obviously had a rough night and is pressing right now. He'll find his groove but hopefully does it soon before he lands in the infamous Schmidt doghouse from which no one has ever escaped. Will be interesting to see what Rumpel adds to the equation when healthy.

2. We might see more presses this year and I hope we do. Luc is clearly a speedster who can cover a lot of ground and cause mayhem all over the court. But in order to do that, your guys have to have fresh legs. Maybe that's where Rumpel and Flowers come in.

3. Put any combo of Evans, Farrell, Hill or Mellouk at 3-4. They all looked impressive. Whoever learns the Schmidt playbook the quickest will earn the start.

4. The 5 is going to be a problem. Even against an undersized D3 opponent, Venning and Amadusen looked outmatched. Venning had a couple decent defensive plays but also looked out of breath after just a few minutes. Might be worth going small here, especially if the aforementioned press becomes part of the playbook.
This is pretty much what I would write too. The 5 is most concerning, at least offensively. I dont think any of them will be good for more than 4 ppg on putbacks and a few lobs. I think defensively they have something to offer though so the offense will have to run through Banks and the other guys. I loved seeing the press, feels like it has been ages since we have seen that. I can see that causing problems for opponents and I would love to shove that back in VCU's face when we play them.

I was pretty happy to see the full court press, and seeing them implement it from the beginning made me think that we'll see the press during the season. It seems to make sense with the length and type of players this team has. Also with a young team youd think it could generate some easy bnuckets and keep them out of extended defensive and offensive half court sets where the inexpirence may show. But I'm not sure we'll press in regular season, I hope so but I will believe it when I see it.

As previously stated the 5 is going to be the weak link. In the post game press conference Schmidt mentioned using the 3 headed monster at the 5 and somehow getting a combination of 14 pts and 10 boards between the 3. He also mentioned whoever is playing the best in that game will play a little more than the others.

Another statement he made was along the lines he isn't going to go as deep on the bench in the regular season as he did the exhibition game. He mentioned Flowers will add a spark off the bench but that was about it. But iwould expect a 9 man rotation this year which is really very similar to the 8 man rotation we've seen in the past. Flowers at the guard postion, Hill at the forward, and a combination of Max and Venning at the 5. It will be intersting to see where Rumple fits in when he comes back. Honestly I dont think a lot of teams go 10 deep. Most want a 8 or 9 man rotation for rythum and flow.

Back