Bonnies @ VCU (01/18/20; 2:00 pm)

Some will be happy with 4-2. I’m not. A throttling like this is alarming. Wins over GW and Fordham hold no weight. I expected a competitive game today. This looks like one of those exhibitions vs a D3 school. Bonnies don’t belong on the same court.

I’m taking my anger out on Amadi. 4 years, and he hasn’t improved a lick. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him actually use his frame to box out. He’s bordering on a wasted scholarship. Surely the Bonnies could’ve found a more athletic/capable backup big man. I’m not sure what the staff saw in him at Amherst.

I’m taking my anger out on Amadi. 4 years, and he hasn’t improved a lick. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him actually use his frame to box out. He’s bordering on a wasted scholarship. Surely the Bonnies could’ve found a more athletic/capable backup big man. I’m not sure what the staff saw in him at Amherst.
Calm down bro. Most of that is completely unfair. Today sucks. It's ugly. It's embarrassing. Dont go b*nnedw*g*n and torch the program because we threw up a steaming turd today.

Torch it Thursday morning after Dayton beats us by 40.

I can accept a poor shooting day. I can accept them being rattled by the pressure early on, forcing the youngsters into poor shot selections. The defense though has been unacceptable.
What's ridiculous is this is a better team than the one that beat Rutgers. On paper at least. VCU is probably a little better than Rutgers but not much. This is a basketball homicide.

If this team wants to make a serious run at NCAA's next year, the staff is gonna need to find some sort of defensive big either coming from JUCO or as a grad transfer. It woulda been great to have that this year so that Carpenter could have redshirted, because he is clearly not ready, and this is definitely a wasted year of eligiblity for him

That being said, i'm not sure how much faith I have in the staff at finding a big man, thats not gonna be a freshman, considering how much that guy from syracuse and the guy from liberty ended up being

Last edited:
By the numbers Rutgers is better but I feel you.

It’s hard to take a positive away from this. Best I’ve got is this: last year VCU lost to
Rhode Island, beat them by 34 a month later,
Lost to them a month after. So basketball is fickle ? That’s all I’ve got

This game is eye opening as to how much work needs to be done. I’m too tired, annoyed and deflated to crack that list right now.

By the numbers Rutgers is better but I feel you.

It’s hard to take a positive away from this. Best I’ve got is this: last year VCU lost to
Rhode Island, beat them by 34 a month later,
Lost to them a month after. So basketball is fickle ? That’s all I’ve got

This game is eye opening as to how much work needs to be done. I’m too tired, annoyed and deflated to crack that list right now.
So then it's even worse than I thought. No Shoon no English no problem with Rutgers. Faack me.

Winston is explosive as shit. There's your one positive.

Ugly. The backup bigman scenario is bad but that first half our guards didn't do shit to keep VCU out of the paint all while allowing them to go off from 3. I think even if Shoon played 40 today we still lose by 15+. The defensive intensity just wasn't there and VCU was a buzzsaw.

Tough draw having this game followed by a midweek at top 10 Dayton, but a good coach, which we have, will get them to learn from these games and get better down the stretch.

Last year when we got boatraced in the Reilly against VCU we went 9-2 after, so I guess we can cross our fingers for that to happen again

Calm down bro. Most of that is completely unfair. Today sucks. It's ugly. It's embarrassing. Dont go b*nnedw*g*n and torch the program because we threw up a steaming turd today.

Torch it Thursday morning after Dayton beats us by 40.

The lack of a serviceable backup bigman is killing this team. There’s an immense drop off when Osun isn’t on the floor. Amadi is a STATUE out there. It’s like playing 4 on 5.

Bonnies played scared today. Pump faking and passing up open looks. Second guessing each move. Weak layups. Avoiding contact instead of initiating. Defense was non existent. No resistance whatsoever.

There’s no shame in getting manhandled by an elite Dayton team. I’m prepared for that. Today is a different story. I expected a competitive game.

Winston is explosive as shit. There's your one positive.

There isn't much to choose from, but surprised you chose Winston as your positive from this game. I like Winston's game a lot, but I thought it was his worst game of his early career and it was beginning to feel like Schmidt kept him in down the stretch to humble his ass.

Very fickle, yep.
Too many tipped fucking passes to even cut into that lead. They were hitting everything, of course, and our responses were predictable bad plays time and time again.
This reminded me of an ole fashioned X beat down. Away game, injuries, playing a senior-laden team with VERY good underclassmen just ready to explode.

We will move on from this and get better. For several of our players today, that was their first VCU experience. They won’t forget it. Like other Bonnies teams (Ndoye, Posley, Adams/Mobe), they will learn how to handle things and keep us in games.

There isn't much to choose from, but surprised you chose Winston as your positive from this game. I like Winston's game a lot, but I thought it was his worst game of his early career and it was beginning to feel like Schmidt kept him in down the stretch to humble his ass.

Interesting take at the end, there ...
(and you’re probably not wrong).

I said he was explosive. In athletic ability and his penchant for firing layups off the backboard at 100mph. He was awful tonight when it mattered. But if he can do something positive with those moves. He was better late when it didn't matter but it means it's there.

Bonnies played scared today. Pump faking and passing up open looks. Second guessing each move.
Yeah.. Lofton.. many times he passed instead of pulling the trigger. After some really good shooting games. Were they really closing that fast? He looked scared to shoot.

Open ride every year, yet we never have a suitable backup center or point guard. It needs to change. It’s okay to recruit some heady role players in lieu of packing a roster with 6’6” to 6’8” wiry athletes.
Schmidt must know by now that his philosophy works for the most part, but every other team that competes for top 4 spots has depth and key role players ready and willing to sit until needed.
I think this offseason will be a 2011-like push to recruit guys that will help us get over the hump. We have a lot to offer now.

Back