Bonnies @ VCU (01/18/20; 2:00 pm)

My only hope for this game is that it is close. The drubbing we took at VCUs hands last year was the worst performance I've seen. It remains the only time I've walked out of a game at halftime and gone home. VCU was a walking buzzsaw at that point last year, and this year they are coming off back to back loses and look bad in there halfcourt offense.

The key will be making baskets (duh!) and limiting transition opportunities for VCU. Even though we didn't turn it over as frequently as I remembered last year we took bad shots and didn't crash the glass giving VCU the chance to play in transition without us setting up on defense.

I would be surprised if we don't see a bigger dose of Matt Johnson, alongside Lofton/English/Welch. I also think this is the type of game Winston could shine in. He is a capable ball handler and can make plays in transition if/when VCU presses us.

If this is a 10 point game or closer I'd count it as a morale victory, as cuckish as that sounds.

Last edited:
not sure how the young guys handle the press. weve seen how out of control they can get at times. important to score baskets so we can setup our defense as well..... vcu obviously going to try and run us off the court. not sure what the keys to the game are but im sure coach does......just need to execute the game plan. Lets move to 5-0

It is critical to get stops and limit second chances so as to minimize the Rams’ ability to set up the press. Last year was a tire fire, but maybe the Baby Bonnies learned from it. Flash Bobby middle in our press offense. This was effective against UMass’ (obviously inferior) pressure.

We all love Bona's, but we can also all admit it's not exactly the most difficult school to get accepted to, nor does it exactly require that you be a Rhodes Scholar to make it through to your degree.

With that in mind, a guy in my class failed out of Bona's and was accepted into VCU the next semester. Enough said.

Last edited:
Last year was a disaster. Osun was given a basketball lesson by Santos-Silva. Our rim protector played 16 minutes before fouling out. He got 3 rebounds and scored 2 points. Amadi was even less effective. We were killed by 2-pointers: 25 of 39 for them and 16 of 46 for us. This year, VCU will be fighting like a wounded animal as they are 2-2 in conference and in danger of losing their shot at an at large bid.
Now for the good news. If you ignore the gestation pains of the OOC and just go with the in-conference performance, the Bonnies have better power ratings. TeamRankings rates Bona #50 in the country vs. #92 for VCU on conference performance. I know nobody cares about that because we haven't played any top tier teams yet, but I believe that if Osun can neutralize Santos-Silva we have a good shot.

Honestly guys VCU is not looking TOO hot right now. So, either you're coming to the Stu in the middle of a slump, or the VCU boys are going to be trying to make a statement.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us with some less familiar lineups that help us keep pace on breaking the press and keeping them from getting inside. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this be one of those games where Amadi is run out there with the understanding he's more or less disposable and not discouraged from fouling out, so that we can limit Santos Silva. Interested to see what the defensive looks are. Whatever they are, we will force them to shoot outside (I hope) as thats where they struggle most.

Offensively, the press is going to be tough, and we will turn it over. Even Dayton had like 19 or 20 turnovers the other night. Remaining unflustered and settling into half court sets as opposed to rushing/pressing/trying to do too much. There was a lot of that last year.

Honestly guys VCU is not looking TOO hot right now. So, either you're coming to the Stu in the middle of a slump, or the VCU boys are going to be trying to make a statement.
Yeah, but does Pav’s upper torso still have the exact texture of slightly undercooked lasagna?

I wonder if Bonaventure made any attempt to move this game out of Richmond? Im no snowflake and believe in the second amendment (at the same time 100% believe in common sense gun laws and gun control, there is middle ground here) but this "rally" that is taking place on Monday is apparently bringing in more than 50k pro-gun protesters of which many are presumed to be white nationalists/neo nazis/kkk.... crazy to think there are still that many people that have those awful ideologies

do i think there will be any issues? probably not..... but would have loved to play some mind games with them by trying to move this to a neutral site

I wonder if Bonaventure made any attempt to move this game out of Richmond?
da faa???

Bonnies are one of the last places I can tune into something I care about that hasn't been ruined by political bullshit yet.

Tori thinks basketball was invented the day VCU beat KU to get to the FF in 2011. She's definitely one of those uneducated priss MF fans of VCU. We have a certain subset of our fanbase that are the WNY look how loud I can scream and thump my chest Bills-ish fans. But every time I think they might be an embarrassment to SBU, I remember that VCU has a fanbase that's going on 9 straight years making even the assholiest fans look classy.

Defend the perimeter, turn it over fewer than 13 times, and hit free throws. Bonnies move to 5-0.

Back