Bonnies @ VCU (01/18/20; 2:00 pm)

VCU thrives on exploiting some of the lack of fundamentals and dumb stretches of play many teams have. Their press and pressure defense results in so damn many 50/50 balls. What happens is when kids try to use the same type of passes they’ve used in HS, prep, or even lower levels, a long-ass defender gets a hand close enough to the ball to either deflect it or get away with a foul. The result? A 50/50 ball that their fast guards grab more often than not. Doug Brooks was good at that as was Weber.

We seemed to have stopped the “one mistake leads to another” crap that plagued us early in the season. Let’s hope we don’t revert.

Santos-Silva is skilled, but Shoon is better than he was last year and should be ready to at least hold his own. A quick, decisive double from Dom will help. Even though I don’t want him to help off shooters, that’s probably the game plan again. Pray for no phantom calls on Shoon’s block attempts.

When I was the 6th guard in a 3 guard rotation in junior high, I always liked the bounce pass. A no look chest pass was an acceptable alternative.

VCU opens -8.5.

Anyone else here going tomorrow? Making the drive up from SC in the morning.

I agree Osun has taken a huge step forward from the alumni weekend ass-kicking. He needs to out-rebound Santos-Silva to give us a chance. As long as we don't make a bunch of turnovers, we should hopefully contain their offense. They aren't very dynamic and rely on turnovers/transition.

They aren't at the same level obviously, but I like that we come into this game immediately after having faced and pretty much dominated a poor-man's version of VCU. We took care of the ball against pressure, rebounded well over a quality interior, and defended the perimeter. Will need more of the exact same tomorrow with fewer fouls and maybe a little more luck.

I feel like we got to win tomorrow or else we'll be 4-2. As it was, winning in Dayton was going to be hard, but that dickhead Travie Ford kicked over the beehive and now we got to deal with pissed off Obi on Wednesday.

VCU is beatable. It will require a grown man effort.

My biggest concern is how will this young team respond to the pressure and environment?

Need to be strong with the rock. Things will no doubt get hectic. I’m counting on Lofton to steady the ship.

Osun needs to stay on the floor and win the matchup vs Santos Silva.

This is an even matchup. It’s going to come down to toughness and turnovers.

Richmond is still very much the old deep south. Sounds like the town is going to be overrun with neo nazis this weekend.

Hopefully the plane is gassed up and ready to get our guys the fuck out of that shithole immediately after pummeling them on their homecourt.

I feel like we got to win tomorrow or else we'll be 4-2. As it was, winning in Dayton was going to be hard, but that dickhead Travie Ford kicked over the beehive and now we got to deal with pissed off Obi on Wednesday.
Agreed, but that was a great game to watch because it reminds us that nobody is invincible. BTW, the Bonnies can cause a lot of sleepless nights for opposing teams trying to figure out how to deal with our defense, which has actually been the best in conference play so far. As to VCU, they're famous for causing turnovers, but they have been known this year to frequently return the favor.

VCU is beatable. It will require a grown man effort.

My biggest concern is how will this young team respond to the pressure and environment?

Need to be strong with the rock. Things will no doubt get hectic. I’m counting on Lofton to steady the ship.

Osun needs to stay on the floor and win the matchup vs Santos Silva.

This is an even matchup. It’s going to come down to toughness and turnovers.

Welcome to the board, Louie. I still think you and Elleby bear a striking resemblance !

This is embarrassing. I don’t care if Osun is out. Have some pride. VCU is making a mockery of us on national television.

Amadi Ikpeze is a great guy, but I can’t remember a player more clumsy or uncoordinated. Bricks for hands and feet.

There was ... uhh... nothing good about that half, from the coaching on down. I'm kind of speechless. Maybe thoughtless. Damn.

Back