Bonnies @ SLU (Sat. 2/6/2021 at 2:00 p.m.)

A crucial must Winn because you know La Salle is getting ready to torpedo our season as usual on Wednesday.

Any thought of the Good Guys being too cocky about being #1 in the conference now has to go away when you look at how SLU roasted us last season. That lasting taste (thanks to the pandemic) stuck with them all offseason, so they'll be out for revenge. The key is going to be slowing down either Javonte Perkins or Jordan Goodwin. One of those guys is going to get their points, but if we can hold another one to an inefficient night, we can get by these guys.

It's a small sample size of 2 games, obviously, but worth looking at since it's SLU's last 2 games. According to that nerd KenPom (who FINALLY has us in the top 50), the Evil Bills are dead last in the conference in defensive efficiency, effective field goal %, free throw rate and three-point %. Some of those aren't even close. Again, sample size, but what does this nerd shit mean? Post-COVID pause, SLU has been an absolute tire fire on defense. You can see that as easily as the fact they allowed 76 and 82 to mediocre Dayton and La Salle teams. Even counting pre-pause stats, SLU is terrible defending the 3 (245th) and they foul a TON.

Where the Billikens can sink us is on offense. These guys can actually score a lot this season. They're top 50 in most offensive metrics. Goodwin is one of the best offensive threats in the A10 and Perkins is also great. We already know about them. Osun will have to frustrate Hasahn French because that guy can't get going on offense. If he is rebounding on offense and either putting it back or resetting their offense, it'll be another long night. We're the best defensive team they've played so far this year, but we can't let shooters like Gibson Jimerson (injured last year) and Demarius Jacobs get going.

Bottom line, if we can keep up our solid defense, we can do this damn thing tomorrow. Against top 100 teams, they've given up 82 (loss at Minnesota), 81 (beat LSU), 76 (home loss to Dayton) and 69 (beat NC State). SLU will give our shooters opportunities to get hot, it's just a matter of if Holmes, Welch or Lofton is the one to catch fire from 3. Based on recent trends, Welch is the hottest from 3. Lofton should manhandle Yuri Collins at PG. Javonte Perkins is only an inch taller than Adaway, so hopefully Jalen can hold his own.

Let's do this.

Commenter summed it up pretty good so I will just say lets fucking winn!!! Get a stranglehold on the conference and make it impossibe to be left out of the tournament.

Someone needs to punch Linssen in the face.

Edit - now I will elaborate. He got star treatment from the refs today and nobody outside of St Louis knows who the fuck he is. That whole deciding 7-0 spurt was fueled off him getting away with 3 obvious fouls. He drove his shoulder right into Shoon (who played awesome against French, props to him) then lays it in and nothing. Next possesion he mauls Shoon and no call. There were two other times today Shoon got pushed into the baseline going up for offensive rebounds and nothing. Think those plays made a difference in what was a 1 pt game?

Last edited:

Edit - now I will elaborate. He got star treatment from the refs today and nobody outside of St Louis knows who the fuck he is. That whole deciding 7-0 spurt was fueled off him getting away with 3 obvious fouls. He drove his shoulder right into Shoon (who played awesome against French, props to him) then lays it in and nothing. Next possesion he mauls Shoon and no call. There were two other times today Shoon got pushed into the baseline going up for offensive rebounds and nothing. Think those plays made a difference in what was a 1 pt game?
Another hateable Rentaplayer.

I nearly broke my hand and my coffee table after that shove that sent shoon flying off the court when he had a clear track to the rebound. Should've been flagrant. Instead it was a rebound for that goon and points for the bad boys.

This SLU team reminds me of the Rhody team from 2016-2017. A bit undersized, but so aggressive on every play defensively that you can't call everything a foul.

The continued suckfest going on in the media for Saint Louis is unbearable. They want them to be good SO bad. They have one decent win out of conference and get smoked at Minnesota and everything thinks they're so above the A10.

This SLU team reminds me of the Rhody team from 2016-2017. A bit undersized, but so aggressive on every play defensively that you can't call everything a foul.

The continued suckfest going on in the media for Saint Louis is unbearable. They want them to be good SO bad. They have one decent win out of conference and get smoked at Minnesota and everything thinks they're so above the A10.
I was thinking that too. LSU is barely a tournament team and NC St blows. Those are their big wins. We are their best win. I think we proved on Saturday they are not head and shoulders above us or the conference.

It has been a while since I last posted here. Given that we are not a great shooting team especially from 3 pt. Why doesn’t Schmidt try to get OO more involved down low ? He needs to give us a little more offensively . He seems content playing the high post and setting screens. More pick and rolls would help.

It has been a while since I last posted here. Given that we are not a great shooting team especially from 3 pt. Why doesn’t Schmidt try to get OO more involved down low ? He needs to give us a little more offensively . He seems content playing the high post and setting screens. More pick and rolls would help.
After Lofton’s 8.8% from 3, the most surprising stat to me is Osun shooting 48% from the field.

I was thinking that too. LSU is barely a tournament team and NC St blows. Those are their big wins. We are their best win. I think we proved on Saturday they are not head and shoulders above us or the conference.

I agree. And though not directly related to SLU its on the same subject.

I was watching a bit of the Kansas OK State game last night and had to turn it off. There was an infographic thrown up about how all of the 11 most winningest programs of all time are currently unranked. The 2 calling the game really wouldn't let the subject go, looking for scapegoat after scapegoat as to why. Its the lack of fans! It's the lack of a full non conference season! On and on. Almost whining on behalf of how it wasn't fair, and that things would be so different for Kentucky vs Tennesse if they had more than 3000 fans. Or that Kansas would have been better if they had the full slate of non conference to right themselves.

I couldnt stomach it. Kentucky is lucky to have any fans. Most schools would love to add 15% capacity to their venues over the 0 they have now. Kansas got 7 of the allowable 9 conference games in, That's considerably more than many schools. Plenty of other teams have stepped up to the plate and put together solid starts despite facing all the same challenges they mention, if not to a greater degree.

I get that all 11 being unranked is a story, and they have to talk about it. It was the despondent way in which they seemed to bemoan on behalf of all these 'blue bloods' that really got to me.

I like your take, and it is hard to stomach pretty much anything announcers say when they opine P5 basketball. KU, UK, NC, they all got 7 OOC games. Where would we be, what kind of MPG would we have right now if we'd gotten 7 OOC? Maybe we'd have better than a 5.5 man rotation. So spare me the whining about lack of OOC games to prepare for their conference seasons. I'd still like to know what our problem was, maybe it was bad luck, I was wondering if we were hampered politically by NYS, but Syracuse got 7 OOC games. UB got 4. The directional Mich. U. schools all got 4-7 games. At this point it is what it was, but if anything, when you look at the computer rankings, many of the top 50 played a bunch of games. If anything the P5/blue blood types are even more prepared (relatively) this season than your, cough, mid-majors like us.

Back