Bonnies @ George Mason (Wed. Jan. 8, 7:00)

[in before res comments on why I should just text you]

This aspect of Courtney always made me laugh (and worry that he would get a technical). He pissed off a lot of guys with that stuff.

Not to venture too deep down the what if rabbit hole, but of all the what if’s, the one that I always come back to is what if Stockard has been healthy his first year on campus. Not to wonder about what next steps the team could have taken, the world of possibilities in that vein is obvious.

No, I just imagine purely the addition of Stock to a roster with Posley and Wright. That’s a whole lotta heart and grit on one side of the court.

Not to venture too deep down the what if rabbit hole, but of all the what if’s, the one that I always come back to is what if Stockard has been healthy his first year on campus. Not to wonder about what next steps the team could have taken, the world of possibilities in that vein is obvious.

No, I just imagine purely the addition of Stock to a roster with Posley and Wright. That’s a whole lotta heart and grit on one side of the court.

I have played that game in my head a few times. What I came up with is 2016 we not only make the NCAA but have a serious chance at doing damage. The cost of that is we dont get the 2018 NCAA team but I think that is a trade we would make. 2018 was a huge relief after what happened in 2016 but if 2016 went as it should, I think we would all live with 2018 being an NIT season or worse. Also maybe 2017 is another NCAA year with a healthy Stock.

This aspect of Courtney always made me laugh (and worry that he would get a technical). He pissed off a lot of guys with that stuff.
Ha.. what are you going to do though, fight Courtney? We've had a few players good at getting under guys' skin. A certain Dion Wright always seemed one bicep flex scream away from a fight. But they've all been good about showing a ton of attitude but never looking right at their man.

To CB3PT.. I don't think Stockard becomes the player he became if he hit the ground running in 15-16. It may not even have been enough to get that team into NCAA. And then you wouldn't have had him in 17-18 when he was a grown-ass man, and that team probably wouldn't have made NCAA either. Definitely not worth losing sleep over.

So GMU killed Nebraska but hasn't looked good in any of their other games against "name" opponents. Kier is on his way back, he can shoot, and we all know how well Schmidt's Bonnies defend the 3. But they don't have much offense inside. Run sets through Shoon early and maybe open up the outside game, he should be an automatic 20 against teams with lesser interiors.

I agree with both above posters. That's why you can't play the what if game (see: the pointless "what if we had Brockington still" that goes on over at the other board all the time). If this happens then that doesn't and so on.

All in all I'm happy with how things shook out with him. There's a lot to be said about the importance of his place on last year's team, and the foundation it helped lay for the 3 frosh.

Ha.. what are you going to do though, fight Courtney? We've had a few players good at getting under guys' skin. A certain Dion Wright always seemed one bicep flex scream away from a fight. But they've all been good about showing a ton of attitude but never looking right at their man.

To CB3PT.. I don't think Stockard becomes the player he became if he hit the ground running in 15-16. It may not even have been enough to get that team into NCAA. And then you wouldn't have had him in 17-18 when he was a grown-ass man, and that team probably wouldn't have made NCAA either. Definitely not worth losing sleep over.

So GMU killed Nebraska but hasn't looked good in any of their other games against "name" opponents. Kier is on his way back, he can shoot, and we all know how well Schmidt's Bonnies defend the 3. But they don't have much offense inside. Run sets through Shoon early and maybe open up the outside game, he should be an automatic 20 against teams with lesser interiors.

Speaking of technicals - and I know we're in danger of going down a rabbit hole here that we may not want to go down on gameday - does anyone have any numbers on how many T's Schmidt has received over his career at Bonaventure? I'm trying to think of even one, but can't think of one instance where he received a T...

Perhaps a more interesting question - do you think that Schmidt being less bombastic than say a Danny Hurley has helped or hindered his career? I personally feel like he never had the depth on his rosters and overall clout with the NCAA to engage in the shenanigans that Hurley did, but I find it hard to overlook how effective that agressiveness seems to have been for jokers like Boeheim, Williams, Hurley etc. It seems like acting like an asshole often does work in the assholes favor (although I'd love to see some stats that confirm this). The trade-off of course is you have to live with yourself being a monster.

Speaking of technicals - and I know we're in danger of going down a rabbit hole here that we may not want to go down on gameday - does anyone have any numbers on how many T's Schmidt has received over his career at Bonaventure? I'm trying to think of even one, but can't think of one instance where he received a T...

Perhaps a more interesting question - do you think that Schmidt being less bombastic than say a Danny Hurley has helped or hindered his career? I personally feel like he never had the depth on his rosters and overall clout with the NCAA to engage in the shenanigans that Hurley did, but I find it hard to overlook how effective that agressiveness seems to have been for jokers like Boeheim, Williams, Hurley etc. It seems like acting like an asshole often does work in the assholes favor (although I'd love to see some stats that confirm this). The trade-off of course is you have to live with yourself being a monster.
I'll bite since I am probably the only referee here. 1) I know Schmidt has received a couple but it really isnt more than that. I remember when they first implemented the coaching box in 2008(?), the refs gave out a bunch of T's early to establish it and I know Schmidt got one from that. That could be the only 1.

Coaching careers are more defined with on court results than interaction with officials. Guys like Hurley are awful to work for and I think their antics hurt them more than they help. Anytime you go into a game knowing you are working with a jerk, its never fun. Nobody is going to call a game differently but they will have no patience and no time to deal with a maniac. I guess what I am getting at is I dont think there is any correlation between agressiveness with officials and on court success. For every Huggy bear or Hurley there are probably 10-15 Roy Williams types, if not more. So to answer you question, I think it has probably helped him more than it has hurt. You get a much longer leash when the official knows he is only going to hear from you if you really blow a call.

Great piece, BC. Tell Petey to name the date, and I will personally drive him from Fairfax to Olean. Someone else will have to swing by and pick up Uncle Vinny.

Great piece, BC. Tell Petey to name the date, and I will personally drive him from Fairfax to Olean. Someone else will have to swing by and pick up Uncle Vinny.

I asked him about this year for the return game on 2/1, but family stuff is keeping him from making the week-long voyage. I told he's welcome anytime and since it seems like we play GMU twice almost every year for some reason, he'll hopefully get a chance.

I don't know where Uncle Vinny lives, but I hope he's still near the city. Get that man to Montrose before the games at A10s!!!

Yeah, as of now Vegas Insider is showing 89% of the money has been bet on Bona. That will do it. Whether there's anything behind that fact other than "irrational exuberance" of Bona fans, I do not know.

I assumed so, seems like quite the shift though. Might as well add to the 89%.

Yeah, as of now Vegas Insider is showing 89% of the money has been bet on Bona. That will do it. Whether there's anything behind that fact other than "irrational exuberance" of Bona fans, I do not know.

Really? That scares me that much of the public is on us. We're doomed!

The website I look at says 47% of bets are on us, but I guess people are putting way more money on us... https://www.sportsinsights.com/ncaab

It makes sense. To me Bonnies + points was a good bet.

Any idea why the line shifted from +2 to -1?
Holy shit! That's insane. I love the Bonnies and all but I DO NOT see them as favorites. GM has fans, a loud band and a good record (I know it's against shitty teams, but look at bonas.....).

I honestly thought the spread would be closer to +4. I don't care what you did in one game against Rutgers, you can't lose to SUNY Albany and Ohio and squeak by with wins against MTSU, GW and Mercer and still be favorites on the road against an average at worst A10 team. I will never bet against the Bonnies but if there's one spread where I would consider it, it would be this one.

For those watching on a roku, stadium did away with its stadium app but you can now watch it on the roku channel.

Back