Bonnies @ George Mason (Wed. Jan. 8, 7:00)

SBUnfurled

SBUgmu.png

Mason is 11-3, but they are pretty average and have some weaknesses we can exploit. They're coming off a 13-point loss to VCU and a 34-point loss to TCU. Their best win was over New Mexico State in the Cayman Islands championship. I still think they could be a small favorite over our boys when the line opens.

From Haslam Analysis: George Mason will likely call on their defense to win a majority of their games. The team is ranked 150th in defensive efficiency and allows fewer than 98 points for every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. George Mason makes a point to avoid fouls and prevent opponents from getting to the free throw line. With a defensive free throw attempt rate of 20.51 vs. AO, they are currently rated 61st in the country in that category. If George Mason does exhibit a weakness on the defensive end of the floor, it'd likely be the team's propensity to allow too many shot attempts per trip. The squad has a rating of 86.04 in defensive field goal attempt rate vs. AO, which ranks 38th-worst in college basketball.

George Mason doesn't perform as well offensively as they do defensively. The team is ranked 221st in offensive efficiency, scoring about 95 points every 100 possessions vs. AO. George Mason is one of the least accurate teams when shooting from long-distance. They are ranked 330th in three-point field goal percentage nationally and make just 28.4% of their attempts from long vs. AO. If George Mason does have a strength offensively, it would have to be the team's knack for obtaining second-chance opportunities from offensive rebounds. The squad has a rating of 16.70 in potential points off of second chances vs. AO, which ranks 45th in all of college hoops.

The Goo Moos will open at -2.5 to -3.0.

I think we'll need a similar strategy on offense as GW. Work it down low, crash the offensive boards and slow down the pace. With GMU being such a bad offensive team, we can't give them extra possessions.

Dom needs to hit a few shots in this game and not force anything. When he is set, he hits at a good clip. When he is not, he throws up bricks. We need production from him and the SG, whoever that will be. AJ and Matt will need to score a bit. With Jaren in concussion protocol, he is probably going to be out for a bit.

Schmidt generally has Paulsen's number. I just don't want a kid like Hartwell going off from deep. I know GM is not great at shooting threes, but we know that statistics mean nothing and they can easily go off. In addition, we need to control Miller. Kier will likely get his.

Jaren should take as long as he needs. Concussions are a very tricky injury to project how long someone will be out for. I mean, if he's good to go, obviously play him, but I wouldn't rush him back in this Mason/Fordham/UMass stretch. I didn't feel as if we were as lost without English against GW as we were without Osun against SUNY Amherst. I'm not trying to discount Jaren either. He's our clear-cut starter at SG. I just think Vasquez/Johnson can do a fine job holding it down against the bottom half of the conference.

The team stayed in the DC area after the GW game and went to the Wizards/Celtics game last night. For those looking for the game on tv it is on Channel 1265 on Spectrum cable in the Batavia/Rochester area.

Yeah, I've been running around all over town trying to find out what hotel they're in so that I can tell Schmidt that ddsmugs wants him to plant Shoon in the paint at the defensive end.

Game is on MASN here in the Balto, DC, Richmond area for those not heading to Fairfax.

Yeah, I've been running around all over town trying to find out what hotel they're in so that I can tell Schmidt that ddsmugs wants him to plant Shoon in the paint at the defensive end.

Game is on MASN here in the Balto, DC, Richmond area for those not heading to Fairfax.
It is also on Stadium so can be watched online or with the app

Bona beat Mason 2 out of 3 tries last year, but we didn't do well on our visit to their court. Osun played only 17 minutes in that game and Poyser was throwing up bricks. As mentioned, Schmidt generally does well vs. Paulsen so let's not have a repeat of last year's performance.

I remember that game being close and then Mason got hot for a 3 minute stretch and got a 10 pt lead that we never recovered from.

Last year’s a10 opener to George Mason was perhaps the lowest point for any Mark Schmidt team — a horrendous ooc signed and sealed with a crushing defeat at SU.

At Gm fucking Poyser played 17 minutes and went 1-9 regularly dribbling out the clock. After that game I wasn’t sure the Bonnies could even beat Fordham and worse, that there’d be an exodus of talent.

After that game, Schmidt benched Poyser (now with a nasty black eye), focused on d, saved the season ... and perhaps the team.

edit: he also got the girl, and yes.... they banged.

Last year’s a10 opener to George Mason was perhaps the lowest point for any Mark Schmidt team — a horrendous ooc signed and sealed with a crushing defeat at SU.

At Gm fucking Poyser played 17 minutes and went 1-9 regularly dribbling out the clock. After that game I wasn’t sure the Bonnies could even beat Fordham and worse, that there’d be an exodus of talent.

After that game, Schmidt benched Poyser (now with a nasty black eye), focused on d, saved the season ... and perhaps the team.

edit: he also got the girl, and yes.... they banged.

Can anyone elaborate on that whole black eye story??

He got an accidental elbow from Alpha in practice.
Hmmmm. That's not the story I heard. I'm not going to say who I heard did it, but the story relayed to me was that it was no accident and that no one on the team was sad about it. I'd put the reliability of my source at about 57.1 percent though.

Our first game last year Poyser and Kaputo combined to go 2-17 from the field (2-10 from 3), grabbed a single collective rebound, combined for only 2 assists (both Kaputo's) in 48 combined minutes

That sums up the collective state of the team at that point and why the shakeup that followed yielded the results that it did.

So far as I can tell GMU has everyone back from last year, aside from Livingston and that big Oaf who Shoon made look silly in the 2nd and 3rd matchups. Our freshmen carried us in that A10 game.

I like our chances with Spanish from Old School and slightly more handsome Kenny Frease no longer on their roster.

I can see Mason being slight favorites in this one, but I wouldn't believe it. This is a game where I do think that the Bonnies exploit the Patriots.

Bonnies open up +2.5. That's exactly what I thought it would be when a UMass fan asked on Twitter for anyone to guess what the lines would be for Wednesday.

Hmmmm. That's not the story I heard. I'm not going to say who I heard did it, but the story relayed to me was that it was no accident and that no one on the team was sad about it. I'd put the reliability of my source at about 57.1 percent though.
Your source is 100% wrong, man.

There were several players meetings about the team and JP, but nothing got to that point.

Stockard saved the season by having stones and getting guys to do some dirty work (taking charges, closing out, ripping the ball out of opposing players’ hands during dead ball situations, etc.).

Back