Bonnies @ FU (Wed. 01/13/21 at 2:00 pm)

Don't want Vazquez leaving but he's still a negative out there, so you may need to balance "keep him happy" with "god, I can't look." Today he had his usual couple buckets and in-between heaved up two 25 footers with the shot clock at 20, and made other errors. Except for the "keep him happy" element I'd rather see Creal out there.

Last edited:
Agree with BR on Vasquez. I wondered if I was missing something, but I think he looks decent out there. He's fast, big, strong, and can shoot when he gets going. He still makes mistakes but yeah, we don't want him leaving.
He dodnt have an awesome game today but he gave them good minutes. He didnt take anything off the table and he is one of our better shooters.

Last edited:
Agree '03. Plus, insert overused coaching cliche, he has a lot of energy. How can we expect A10 caliber play if they don't get some A10 caliber minutes? We play a lot of man defense - why, I don't know, that's a whole different topic - but it gets tired because we have guys out there 35 minutes a game, and we get burned by screens leading to either open 3s or cutters. If you want good, solid man defense you need fresh legs. I think BR has said, no reason we can't have 9 guys getting appreciable minutes. You give a guy like Vasquez (or Creal or Shaw) meaningful minutes and the game starts to settle down for them. Vasquez has shown that he can shoot, and when he does, you want those 2 or 3 quick 3's and his banging to the rim. Yeah, he needs to lose the blinders and find a shooter when he collapses a D, and maybe 25 footers early in the clock aren't always ideal, but I'd live with that to see more of him getting after it and learning.

ETA: All this bitching, but how good is Adaway? We know Jaren is good, we've talked about the others' struggles. But Adaway quietly put up numbers last couple games and is a high quality player.

Last edited:
If I didn't know anything--which is painfully close to the truth--and I looked at the stat's, I would have to conclude that Adaway is our star. It raises the question whether he would look this good if others didn't leave so much garbage to clean up. Whatever, he's clearly a man who knows his strengths and how to capitalize on them. He became a respectable 3-point shooter in his second year at Miami by being more selective in his shots. This year, he's gotten really selective by taking none. Clint Eastwood was right that a man needs to know his limitations and so was whoever sang the old time hit about "You've got to accentuate the positive."
More seriously, we have got a strong starting five. There is enough talent there to have 3 guys on an off-night while the remaining two blow away the competition. I have some doubts, but I think we can make it into the top fifty and have a legitimate shot at the tourney.

Agree Citizen. Every night we have a different player stepping up. Holmes has been that guy the last 2 games with a lot of help from Adaway and Lofton. Welch and Shoon have struggled offensively but we have not paid for it yet. I believe both of them will turn it around. They have both made huge contributions on the defensive end to make up for it.

If I didn't know anything--which is painfully close to the truth--and I looked at the stat's, I would have to conclude that Adaway is our star. It raises the question whether he would look this good if others didn't leave so much garbage to clean up. Whatever, he's clearly a man who knows his strengths and how to capitalize on them. He became a respectable 3-point shooter in his second year at Miami by being more selective in his shots. This year, he's gotten really selective by taking none. Clint Eastwood was right that a man needs to know his limitations and so was whoever sang the old time hit about "You've got to accentuate the positive."
More seriously, we have got a strong starting five. There is enough talent there to have 3 guys on an off-night while the remaining two blow away the competition. I have some doubts, but I think we can make it into the top fifty and have a legitimate shot at the tourney.
Adaway is currently fourth in the NCAA for shooting percentage (73.2%).

1.) Jackson Stormo - 81% (17/21)
2.) Keegan Records - 77% (17/22)
3.) Justin Amadi - 75% (36/48)
4.) Jalen Adaway - 73% (30/41)

Adaway is a cool customer. 5 turnovers in 170 mins of gameplay is absurd. Decision making and awareness define his game. I think Citizen X has a point, though. A fair amount of his offensive production comes from cleaning up others mess. That's a good thing, and a crucial role for any good team. Also one that I think we lacked last year. But it does pique the curiosity of what he could do if he let loose a little. Maybe he makes a few more mistakes, but so much of the 'eye test' that we've seen from him suggests that there is more underneath, that could be let loose.

This also purely speculative, having never seen him at Miami OH, but I think he's a great example of how the 'sit' year for transfers can really benefit their individual development. Particularly when transferring up.

Good post, X. My only caution is that we could ease into the top 50 (presumably NET) and still not make the tournament unless we win the conference tournament.

By the numbers overall the offensive numbers don't change much with Adaway on/off the floor.

Adaway's presence is very important on the defensive end. He has played 287 of a possible 403 defensive possessions, when he is on the floor we allow 89.5 points per 100 possessions with him off the floor that jumps to 106 P/100. The two stats that change when he is on the floor are rebound% and mid range shooting percentage.

The midrange shooting percentage could be a small sample size thing but teams are taking about the same number of shots from midrange with or without Adaway on the floor however they make 50% when he is off the floor and only 25% when he is on the floor.

His presence also equates to a 20% reduction in second chance opportunities for the opponent due to the boost in rebound % with him on the floor.

On the flip side we actually are getting a higher percentage of our own offensive rebounds when he is off the floor. Which could be because he converts putbacks and when he is off the floor we arent converting putbacks thus creating more offensive rebound chances.

Edit: Link to the numbers - https://hoop-explorer.com/?autoOffQ...ry=Adaway &team=St. Bonaventure&year=2020/21&

Last edited:
Back