Bonnies @ Duquesne

Bill Russell

I worry about Jackie Johnson relentlessly burying ill-advised bombs. Come on, guys… let’s right the ship.

Now that I've had a full day to digest and recover what happened Sunday night, ready to shift back to basketball. A few thoughts from Duquesne:

-Obviously absurd night by shoon. I saw some speculation of "yeah but only a good night because the offense couldnt shoot". This is a dumb take, and completely misses the point of the interconnectivity of the game. Duquesne isnt a dominant team per se, but they're never exactly skinny and soft in the interior under Dambrot.

-We couldnt hit shit from 3 again and I will never understand our often times drought/flood 3P shooting w this group. That said, seeing Holmes and Adaway finding additional ways to get to the score when jumpers werent falling is always nice. Combining that with defense is the not always pretty, but still getting it done type of results we saw last year

-Margin itself never worried me. When we were up 16 it was because they were ice cold. Duq obviously wasnt going to score 22 pts all game. Even when it shrunk to 3 or 5 it always felt like we had total control.

-I'm not sure what to make of Kyle. Weds might tell us more. Popular take is he's not right, and that very may well be true. But he also got several open looks off penetration that he just didnt hit. What concerned me more is his lack of assists. Usually when he's not hitting, he stops looking to score and distributes. Only 3 assists. To me that's the more telling stat suggesting his ankle is still bothering him.

-I really, really hope Brown is back and we use a little more rotation to mix things up. Brown has only had one good game, but when you mix him in with his general feel for offense, and work in Adams with his ability to create opportunity from his defense, it DOES give at least something fresh. I'm not asking for 15 bench points a night, but at least something off the bench to help with when we get stale is really needed. Example, Adams creating 4 quick points to end the half vs VCU, and that set the tone for us to take back control and step on their throats the next half. If we keep on this 6 bench minutes/0-3 bench points a night trend, we're opening up ourselves to lose to anyone who gets hot and surpasses 70 points.

Lofton has been hit or miss vs Duquesne. I always blamed it on TDM but maybe Dambrot has the secret formula to slow Lofton down.

I have no doubts about Brown's abilities on the offensive end but do worry about him on defense. Mainly how he handles rotations/switches. I think in the UNI game he got lost a few times and we ended up with 2 guarding 1 and UNI found the open guy for a 3. The question becomes is that something you can learn from watching tape or do you need to be practicing it as well. Schmidt will live with some offensive miscues if you are solid on D but screw up a rotation and you will be in the doghouse.

Its important to get Brown back because of the stretch of games coming up in February. He needs to get back and into a flow. They have games Feb 1,4,8,11,14,16,19,22,26. Thats a gauntlet.

Back