Bonnies at Saint Joseph's (February 11, 7:00 PM)

No need to break that tale of two halves down any further. We all know what happened.

I’m much more interested in breaking down the thoughts of a certain dentist on the Banned wagon who suggested we put Carpenter on Daly.

Even being down at half, there was never a doubt. Although, I'm nervous for Friday's game. Our last win against Davidson was the 3OT thriller at the RC. They took almost 40 3's against Joe's tonight and made 46% of them. Our defense best be prepared against the triple.

That was a satisfying second half. I felt a lot more comfortable once we got them out of that matchup zone early in the second half, and we started locking things down on the defensive end.

Big, challenging home stretch coming up. If we can take at least two of Davidson/Richmond/Duquesne, then that top 4 seed is going to feel very realistic and the future is going to feel very bright.

Davidson and their style of play is always a tough matchup for our guys and they always scare the shit out of me. See: every game we’ve had against them since they joined the A10.

I’m looking at this homestand as an opportunity for the team to put on a show for the home fans. Should be 3 very entertaining games. Can’t wait to get this party started on ESPN2 Friday night!

Fun team and great 2nd half last night. But any one now agree with me that it's probably too late now but Bobby P should not be in rotation after this brutal stretch of games---can't shoot or score at all, getting worse every game (from 3s to easy ones around bucket), turns over ball more and defense seems to be weakening. And the time to give Carpenter a shot seems to have ended with the 3 toughies coming up. Need an Ironman 6 with limited Amadi and Bobby just for breathers or mop up if possible. .And no injuries.

Last edited:
This team has made a believer of me. Two months ago I would have said we'll win 17 or 18 games this year and get our young team the good foundation for the future. The growth has come faster than anticipated. There are many ways the Bonnies can score and opponents are left with having to beat us with 3-pointers, which is an area of vulnerability. Winston and Vasquez are coming on really fast and it's a pure pleasure watching them connive their way to the hoop or just unload from beyond the arc.
When do the basketball mavens wake up to what we've got going? Due to the disastrous start to the season, the power ratings are still lackluster. Pomeroy has Bona as the 8th best team in the A10, but here we are in 3rd place and the only way we can be dislodged is for someone to beat us.

When do the basketball mavens wake up to what we've got going? Due to the disastrous start to the season, the power ratings are still lackluster. Pomeroy has Bona as the 8th best team in the A10, but here we are in 3rd place and the only way we can be dislodged is for someone to beat us.

Which is why people's complaints about the "easy" conference schedule were so misplaced.

Fun team and great 2nd half last night. But any one now agree with me that it's probably too late now but Bobby P should not be in rotation after this brutal stretch of games---can't shoot or score at all, getting worse every game (from 3s to easy ones around bucket), turns over ball more and defense seems to be weakening. And the time to give Carpenter a shot seems to have ended with the 3 toughies coming up. Need an Ironman 6 with limited Amadi and Bobby just for breathers or mop up if possible. .And no injuries.

Bobby's numbers do not justify the minutes he's getting, but the reality is Winston is still on a short leash and Schmidt needs to pull him from time to time for youthful mistakes. Until Winston is able to run 40 minutes a game or another contender for the 4 spot emerges, Bobby will have to play. He is painful to watch though. How is it possible he's gotten worse as the season progresses?

Bobby looks like he has a case of the yips. His confidence seems down. Get a few shots to fall, and I’d imagine the rest of his game will bounce back.

While he looked bad last night, this year’s team needs him to be capable off the bench. Don’t give up on Boca Bobby.

This team has made a believer of me. Two months ago I would have said we'll win 17 or 18 games this year and get our young team the good foundation for the future. The growth has come faster than anticipated. There are many ways the Bonnies can score and opponents are left with having to beat us with 3-pointers, which is an area of vulnerability. Winston and Vasquez are coming on really fast and it's a pure pleasure watching them connive their way to the hoop or just unload from beyond the arc.

My pedestrian understanding is that the rub on those more advanced metrics is exactly what you said- get yourself off to a poor start, and you spend the year digging yourself out. Conversely, get yourself off to a hot start, and you can remain a bit inflated for a while even if starting to slip. We've done pretty well to dig ourselves out- we spent a good deal of time on the wrong side of 150, even on the wrong side of 160 at a couple of points. That's one nice angle of the Sagarin rankings, it has the 'recency' rating, taking into account all the same variables, but only measuring the last 5 games. Right now in those rankings we've climbed into the 90's but are in the low 60's as of today in 'recent'.

I cringe whenever Bobby shoots from long range and even when he steps up for a free throw, but there are some positives to consider. His offensive rebounding rate and steal percentage are both in the top 500 in the nation. His field goal percentage at the rim (58.3%) is second best on the team, trailing only Osun. Most important, however, is the way the coach is using him to back up Winston as described above. Boca Bobby has actually played more minutes than Winston, but last night was a great example of how that gets reversed on a night when Justin has got his game on. It's teamwork.

Any news on Matt Johnson? I was surprised when the walk on Lacewell got on to close out the game but Johnson didn't. This and two occasions when English took backup PG minutes makes me wonder if Johnson is injured or if he is just under performing in practice.

Back