Bonnies at Dayton Thread

At what point does Adams need to play more? Every time he is in the game something good happens, hes a catalyst. He is not a skilled offensive player but he turns defense into offense and scores so many transition buckets. He needs more minutes when Holmes or Welch dont have it.
+1

I really am hating this team like I did the Yankees all last summer and that pisses me off even more.

Agreed. Unpopular opinion, but the during the LaSalle game, a gnawing thought surfaced that a huge part of me actually enjoyed the covid pause. It was like I'd made peace with the season going nowhere in their absence. I hate feeling that way. I'm well aware of, and have lived some of our meager times. Last year with these same guys was awesome. I'm an asshole for not taking that all in stride. But, I cant help the feeling that this year, my overall return rate from watching is currently in the red.

I keep waiting for this team to have a "come to Jesus" moment but I just dont think its coming. Something just isnt right.

Also agreed, though, this is why I'm praying to all the saints that the Atlantic 10 has to offer.

Reactions: res
Being the hunted instead of the hunter sucks huh? It has been nice outperforming our pre-season rank for a while now, but this year has been a mess. Oh to be a fly on the wall, as something very clearly is not right with our guys.

I keep hearing people saying something clearly isn't right with the club. Anyone want to weigh in?

While we definitely haven't played like a top 25 team, I'm not totally sure yet that this season is a lost cause.

The 2018 team had some close calls OOC and likely played a softer OOC schedule. We obviously lost to a bad Niagara game one, and had close calls against Jackson State, Canisius and Yale.

That 2018 started 2-4 in conference against very average A10 clubs (losses to 16-16 SJU, 14-17 Dayton) while being handled by Davidson and Rhody.

Dayton has great young players and supposedly a top 25 recruiting class. They obviously beat Kansas who is 15-2 on the season. While we did not play remotely well, I think Dayton will finish top 2 or 3 in the league. They have our number and if we connect on even .30% of our threes last night we only lose by 9. We did have a handful of good looks that we just clanked.

We have three winnable games coming up, and without question we need to take two of the next three. Mason is likely a Q2 club, but still should be a win.

Be 13-4 going into that Davidson game and we should be in OK shape.

For me, just too many moments that shouldn’t happen with 5 seniors on the court. Lazy, nonchalant passing, little defensive energy, things like that. Is there friction? Are they tired of coach? Do they know by and large they aren’t getting yanked as there is no one else to put in? Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, but way too many meh moments within games for my liking.

The 2018 team had some close calls OOC and likely played a softer OOC schedule. We obviously lost to a bad Niagara game one, and had close calls against Jackson State, Canisius and Yale.

That 2018 started 2-4 in conference against very average A10 clubs (losses to 16-16 SJU, 14-17 Dayton) while being handled by Davidson and Rhody.
I agree with most of what you said but the big difference between this team and the 2018 team is margin of victory/loss. Through the 2-4 A10 start the 2018 team had a scoring margin of +118 or +6.5/game. This years team only has a margin of +39 or +2.75/game.

Further the 2018 team lost twice by 10 during that stretch and a 14 point loss, and this team has matched the 10 point losses and thrown in an 18 point loss and a 37 point loss.

When you want to know why fans are down on this team its because they are equally able to get the shit kicked out of them as they are to be the ones kicking the shit out of someone. Right now we have been on the receiving end 3 times in the last 5 games. That doesnt instill confidence in a fanbase.

For me, just too many moments that shouldn’t happen with 5 seniors on the court. Lazy, nonchalant passing, little defensive energy, things like that. Is there friction? Are they tired of coach? Do they know by and large they aren’t getting yanked as there is no one else to put in? Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, but way too many meh moments within games for my liking.
Bingo. Way too many head scratching moments. The last 8 minutes of the first half were god awful. Dribbling around doing nothing then chucking up prayers. They looked like how I expect next years team to look, not a group of seniors. The defense has been up and down but the ups are when Shoon is there to save the day.
I agree with most of what you said but the big difference between this team and the 2018 team is margin of victory/loss. Through the 2-4 A10 start the 2018 team had a scoring margin of +118 or +6.5/game. This years team only has a margin of +39 or +2.75/game.

Further the 2018 team lost twice by 10 during that stretch and a 14 point loss, and this team has matched the 10 point losses and thrown in an 18 point loss and a 37 point loss.

When you want to know why fans are down on this team its because they are equally able to get the shit kicked out of them as they are to be the ones kicking the shit out of someone. Right now we have been on the receiving end 3 times in the last 5 games. That doesnt instill confidence in a fanbase.

Bingo again. If you can figure out which team will show up game to game, let me know. We kind of know already. Any team with size or length will swallow them up. There are not many teams like that left on the schedule (if any) so I guess we could make a nice run starting now. Davidson is a game we almost have to have but lets worry about the next 2 first. They basically are like the 2018 team in that they have a bunch of Game 7's coming up but this team doesnt have the metrics going in its favor, which goes back to Jive's point about scoring margin and efficiency. For the record I hate how that is so important. Winning should be first and foremost but that is not the word we are in.

I do get that and I really don't think I'm being an apologist for this team, BUT the UConn 10 point loss was nothing concerning. No 2018 loss was to a team as good as that UConn team and we were down Lofton.

The Dayton loss was bad, but they are not the typical A10 team. Their size and athleticism is more like a Big East team than A10. If they hadn't lost those three awful games to start the season, they'd be ranked. We did play poorly, but still don't think we are better than UD regardless.

VT game left me baffled. Whether you think this team is good or not, you don't lose by 40 points. Solomon era teams don't lose that game by 40.

I do get that and I really don't think I'm being an apologist for this team, BUT the UConn 10 point loss was nothing concerning. No 2018 loss was to a team as good as that UConn team and we were down Lofton.

The Dayton loss was bad, but they are not the typical A10 team. Their size and athleticism is more like a Big East team than A10. If they hadn't lost those three awful games to start the season, they'd be ranked. We did play poorly, but still don't think we are better than UD regardless.

VT game left me baffled. Whether you think this team is good or not, you don't lose by 40 points. Solomon era teams don't lose that game by 40.
I think everybody is right here, its all about perspective. The Bonnies are both really good and really bad, it just depends on the day. I had Dayton chalked up as a loss prior to A10 play. I had them 14-4 (losses @SLU, @Day, @VCU and Davidson at home). To me that is still very realistic. In fact I think we can and will beat VCU on the road but we will also lose another game that I am not expecting. To me, no team worth anything should lose by 40 to another team unless its Gonzaga or Baylor. That is what sticks in my craw. The bads are too bad.

Its time to shift to Duquesne. This team has to take it 1 game at a time. They also have to focus, play well and stomp the shit out of Carla.

Back