Atlantic 10 Wednesday Games: 11/20/19

Who has the best individual performance tonight?

• Jordan Goodwin

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Tre Mitchell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean East

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Hasahn French

• Other (Comment)

• Total voters

glabedz

Massachusetts (-5.5) vs. Rider, 7 PM ET
Saint Louis (-22) vs. High Point 8 PM ET

How are we feeling about tonight's games? Saint Louis is a heavy favorite over a winless High Point; as long as they haven't overlooked this team before facing Belmont this weekend, I think the Billikens should be fine. Rider is a tough test for Massachusetts. The Minutemen are 5.5 point favorites, but Rider is the slightly higher team in Kenpom. It's worth noting that Rider has been terrible at both taking care of the basketball and forcing turnovers. That should play to UMass' advantage. Rider also got destroyed on the road by Arizona St., so I'm inclined to think Massachusetts could run away with this thing. Not looking too far ahead, but I'm excited about UMass' game against Virginia. If Vermont can keep it close against the Cavs, maybe Massachusetts can stay competitive.

What are your thoughts for tonight's games? Register here (it takes 30 seconds), and let me know they keys to victory for SLU and UMass tonight.

Voted for East - I can't help but expect great things out of him after the start he's had on the season.

Saint Louis should win this easily. We should hopefully take care of business here...it's clearly the tougher matchup of the two, but the team seems to be gelling pretty well. Buggs being out for the year now obviously throws another wrench into the whole thing, but hopefully the team spirit kicks in and they "win it for Buggs"

Voted for East - I can't help but expect great things out of him after the start he's had on the season.

Saint Louis should win this easily. We should hopefully take care of business here...it's clearly the tougher matchup of the two, but the team seems to be gelling pretty well. Buggs being out for the year now obviously throws another wrench into the whole thing, but hopefully the team spirit kicks in and they "win it for Buggs"

Despite being the less experienced team, Massachusetts has done a much better job taking care of the basketball this season than Rider. I also think this could be a glimpse as to how well the Minutemen will play against Virginia and Arizona St./St. John's. The Red Devils absolutely crushed Rider at home, dealing them their first loss of the season. If UMass struggles with Rider and the game comes down to the wire, Minutemen could easily be looking at 0-2 in Mohegan Sun. If they put away Rider no problem, maybe the Minutemen are good enough to beat Az. St. or St. John's in game 2 of that tourney. We will see!

Despite being the less experienced team, Massachusetts has done a much better job taking care of the basketball this season than Rider. I also think this could be a glimpse as to how well the Minutemen will play against Virginia and Arizona St./St. John's. The Red Devils absolutely crushed Rider at home, dealing them their first loss of the season. If UMass struggles with Rider and the game comes down to the wire, Minutemen could easily be looking at 0-2 in Mohegan Sun. If they put away Rider no problem, maybe the Minutemen are good enough to beat Az. St. or St. John's in game 2 of that tourney. We will see!
Yeah the turnover rate for UMass has been off the charts this year, especially compared to previous seasons.

Couple this game (which hopefully is similar to our last one...) and Vermont providing a good blueprint on what to do with Virginia, it might be a good sign for keeping it close against the reigning champs. Granted, Vermont is a good team and has been for a while now, but they provided the best offensive gameplan and success against Virginia so far this season.

Yeah the turnover rate for UMass has been off the charts this year, especially compared to previous seasons.

Couple this game (which hopefully is similar to our last one...) and Vermont providing a good blueprint on what to do with Virginia, it might be a good sign for keeping it close against the reigning champs. Granted, Vermont is a good team and has been for a while now, but they provided the best offensive gameplan and success against Virginia so far this season.

Seems like the "way to beat Virginia" (if that exists) is three point shooting. The Cavs are shooting just 23.9% from long range while the Minutemen are 41.3%. Obviously that's easier said than done when you face one of the best defenses in the nation (UVA is holding teams to 27% from three defensively). Still, against the best 2 point defense in the country (less than 30%!!!!!) I'd be chucking up threes whenever I can. If you can get a few to fall (and we certainly know Carl Pierre is capable of that), you might be able to build an early lead that could last with low scoring on both sides. I hope McCall prepares well.

I guess we should've picked TJ Weeks or Carl Pierre, haha. Both have been absolutely unconscious tonight. I hope this hop shooting carries into the UVA game.

Could definitely use those 3s in that game. 3J Weeks strikes again tonight.

Another great night for Massachusetts. Ceiling keeps rising in my mind. Can't wait to see how the Minutemen perform in this upcoming schedule:

Virginia
St. John's / Arizona St.
@ Rutgers
vs. South Carolina
@ Harvard
vs. Yale

Very few gimme games remain before A-10 play, so getting to 5-0 was crucial. I don't want to be too premature, but it's not unrealistic to think this Massachusetts team finishes as high as 6th or 7th this year. Really just too early to tell. I'd be thrilled with a 1-1 trip to Mohegan Sun and go 2/4 against Rutgers, South Carolina, Harvard, and Yale. I think that's pretty doable.

Loving what I'm seeing from Gibson Jimerson tonight. He is a pure shooter, and that's something the Billikens lacked last year. They had Dion Wiley, but he struggled with his shot as well as injuries. Bess and Isabell were solid options, but they drew all of the attention from opposing defense. Jimerson is a guy that can get open and knock it down from anywhere, and Goodwin/French are going to continue to be good scorers.

Back