Atlantic 10 Tuesday Games: 11/12/19

glabedz

Tonight's games:

Massachusetts (+2.5) vs. Northeastern
Davidson (-10.5) @ Charlotte
St. Bonaventure (-1) @ Siena
Duquesne (-13.5) vs. Lamar
George Washington (-4) vs. American

Massachusetts has a great opportunity to pick up another win and move to 3-0, but former Colonial Jordan Roland is leading the nation in scoring and is damn hard to stop. Defense in an absolute must tonight. I heard on Twitter that Sy Chatman is 50/50, anyone have any updates on him? I've heard good things, but excited to see for myself.

Charlotte and Davidson face-off in their annual battle for the Hornet's Nest, and I imagine this one will be pretty lopsided. I assume Kishawn Pritchett is still out? I think Davidson's post depth is a bit of an issue, but Bates Jones made some solid plays for the Wildcats when Luka Brajkovic struggled against Auburn. Should be an easy Davidson win.

St. Bonaventure needs this win badly. What's it going to take to get Kyle Lofton and Dom Welch going? Those two are a combined 4/24 from three this year. The Bonnies have not been stroking it from long range like we would have thought. Any updates on Osun Osunniyi's return? Hoping he'll be back midway / end of conference play. He's really needed.

Duquesne should have no problems with Lamar. Is it possible that the Dukes win 11 or 12 non-conference games? They literally don't have a game on their scheduled they're projected to lose until conference play and looked really really good against Princeton. Time will tell, but I'm loving Duquesne after 1 contest.

George Washington is coming off a nice win over Howard, and Arnaldo Toro is currently 5th in the nation in rebounding. He's an absolute force, and GW really missed him last season. this should be a pretty close contest against an American team that can give the A-10 fits (see last year, George Mason).

Northeastern 73, UMass 69

Davidson 82, Charlotte 65

Siena 65, St. Bonaventure 62

American 66, George Washington 58

Seem pretty realistic. Would be a bummer if the A-10 went 0-3 on Northeasten, Siena, and American, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Seem pretty realistic. Would be a bummer if the A-10 went 0-3 on Northeasten, Siena, and American, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.
They would defiantly be some nice games to not lose and help the conference in general

They would defiantly be some nice games to not lose and help the conference in general
We really need it this year, it’s been a long few seasons, really hoping for an A10 like we saw when VCU first joined...

Well, Davidson not off to a great start. Down 16 at Charlotte -- that would be an atrocious loss for the Wildcats and the league as a whole. Plenty of time left, but Bob McKillop needs to get his guys moving in the right direction.

Well, Davidson not off to a great start. Down 16 at Charlotte -- that would be an atrocious loss for the Wildcats and the league as a whole. Plenty of time left, but Bob McKillop needs to get his guys moving in the right direction.
Ugh sorry dude that’s got to be hurting...

Mixed night for the Atlantic 10 top-to-bottom, but the league just lost one of its main at-large contenders. Without a major victory over Marquette and/or Maryland, Davidson is going to roll into conference play with a resume lacking any major wins, and this Charlotte loss is going to be an absolute stinker when resumes are evaluated in March. As happy as I am for Massachusetts at 3-0 beating Northeastern tonight, this loss hurts the league monumentally.

We have to hope that Saint Louis, Dayton, Rhode Island, and VCU do really well with Davidson falling off. Obviously, I want to see the Dukes there as well. Mass is a nice surprise.

We have to hope that Saint Louis, Dayton, Rhode Island, and VCU do really well with Davidson falling off. Obviously, I want to see the Dukes there as well. Mass is a nice surprise.

I'm hopeful. Saint Louis has a big opportunity this weekend against a Seton Hall team sans Myles Powell. Maybe the Billikens will be a lot better than we all thought. Dayton and VCU have yet to lose a bad game, so expectations are still sky-high for both of them. Rhode Island looked strong against Maryland in the first half and is probably the 1st or 2nd most physical team in the A-10. Duquesne could be good, but I don't see them being NCAA at-large good, and they don't really have the strength of schedule to get there anyway. Cautiously hopeful, but tonight really stings...

I would think 4 bids is the best we could possibly hope for and even that may be a stretch. Then again, Kentucky just lost to Evansville so who knows anymore.

Yeah... it's tough for the A-10 when we have to prove ourselves in November and December to make the NCAA Tournament. I think the best win out-of-conference last year was VCU @ Texas, and the Longhorns didn't even make the NCAA Tournament. Kentucky and other P5s are going to get their big Q1 wins at home against other dominant teams in their conferences -- the A-10 has few league play opportunities. I feel like I tend to put way too much weight on November and December, but you just have to in the Atlantic 10 if you want to be a multi-bid league. You gotta move the needle out-of-conference.

I think it's funny that people are still sleeping on the Bills. Wait until this weekend when we beat Seton Hall (still a strong team with out Powell) and all of these a10 clowns on twitter pump us up after putting us at 7 preseason. We returned 2 of our best 3 players (2 of the best 3 in the a10), added a legit point guard in Yuri, a legit 3 point threat in Gibson, got two transfers that are proven along with some big bodies to give us depth that we haven't had in years. JGoods doesn't have to ball handle all the time, Hasahn doesn't have to body the biggest man all game and we have depth?? Keep sleeping, but don't be surprised when we beat your beloved VCU/RI/Dayton again in March.

Fair point. Saint Louis could be really good -- none of us have any clue. It's so hard to speculate with teams that have a lot of new additions because the range of potential is so wide. It's only been 2 games, but the Billikens look solid. Beating Seton Hall would go a very long way. Hope they don't look past Eastern Washington tomorrow though. Last thing the league needs is another loss like that. I like the way the Bills are playing!

Well UMass had a good night at the very least. What a weird night overall for the league.

Rough night for the league, with the exception of UMass.

GW surged in the second half but came up just short against American, losing 67-65.

St. Bonaventure dropped to 0-3 after a dispiriting 78-65 loss to Siena.

Charlotte came out gunning en route to a 39-22 halftime lead over Davidson and kept on moving to beat the Wildcats 71-58.

UMass beat Northeastern 80-71, improving to 3-0 on the season.

We still can't forget about Richmond. Richmond has a decent ooc playing 5 power 5 conference games. This team is starting 5 juniors, returning everybody from last year and getting a key transfer in Blake Francis and can't forget about Nick Sherod being back.

Fair point. Saint Louis could be really good -- none of us have any clue. It's so hard to speculate with teams that have a lot of new additions because the range of potential is so wide. It's only been 2 games, but the Billikens look solid. Beating Seton Hall would go a very long way. Hope they don't look past Eastern Washington tomorrow though. Last thing the league needs is another loss like that. I like the way the Bills are playing!

I understand, it can be hard to gauge where and what new players do. For SLU, i think we were frustrated because we knew he had at the very least a 3 headed monster in Goodwin, thatch, and french. Without knowing what anyone else does. SLU fans knew those three were good enough alone to win some games in this conference.

Then we go out and add the 2nd highest scorer in JUCO this past season, and the 5th highest efficient scorer in EYBL last year(thank god Richmond and VCU didn't try to get the local kid). Now we have scorer to complement those three.

On top of that, we added a true PG that flew under the radar simply because of his size. And boy am I happy hes not 6" or more.

And last we have a true center. The last 2 years french has had to play out of position a lot. Not he is settled in as a unstoppable PF instead of a center. few teams in the country have enough front court to handle french and a 6'11 300 pound center.

I know us fans have sources who leak practice info that not everyone gets to hear, and thats why we were slightly shocked that SLU wasn't taken serious - enough.

I understand, it can be hard to gauge where and what new players do. For SLU, i think we were frustrated because we knew he had at the very least a 3 headed monster in Goodwin, thatch, and french. Without knowing what anyone else does. SLU fans knew those three were good enough alone to win some games in this conference.

Then we go out and add the 2nd highest scorer in JUCO this past season, and the 5th highest efficient scorer in EYBL last year(thank god Richmond and VCU didn't try to get the local kid). Now we have scorer to complement those three.

On top of that, we added a true PG that flew under the radar simply because of his size. And boy am I happy hes not 6" or more.

And last we have a true center. The last 2 years french has had to play out of position a lot. Not he is settled in as a unstoppable PF instead of a center. few teams in the country have enough front court to handle french and a 6'11 300 pound center.

I know us fans have sources who leak practice info that not everyone gets to hear, and thats why we were slightly shocked that SLU wasn't taken serious - enough.

Agreed. I was pretty high on most of Saint Louis' newcomers in the top 100 player countdown I wrote preseason. My concern with Saint Louis is an abysmal shooting night or two against one of these bad Mid Major teams in non-conference. It's only been 2 games, but luckily that hasn't happened. Like you mentioned, Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French are good enough offensively to make up for a lack of shooting. Fred Thatch is starting to improve, and Demarius Jacobs had a HUGE game against Valparaiso -- he was the savior and "next man up" in a game where French really struggled.

I guess my concern with the Billikens is the potential lack of a very reliable three point shooting threat. I'm not saying Collins or Jimerson or anyone else isn't going to be a sharpshooter, but losing Bess and Isabell from a team that was already bad at shooting concerns me. I think SLU's defense and toughness is enough to win a lot of games, but I hope the Billikens are able to avoid disaster if they go 2/15 from three point range at some point this year (I know they struggled in their exhibition game from long range). Obviously 3 point shooting isn't everything, but this limited SLU in non-con play last year.

Back