Atlantic 10 Saturday Games: 11/23/19

glabedz

Massachusetts (+15.5) vs. Virginia
George Washington vs. Evansville
St. Bonaventure (-5.5) @ Canisius
Fordham vs. Grand Canyon
Saint Louis (+2) vs. Belmont
VCU (-22.5) vs. Florida Gulf Coast

Two very big games today for Massachusetts and Saint Louis. Unfortunately, taking down Virginia is a long shot, and it's going to take hot shooting, good defense, and a little bit of luck. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm looking for a moral victory (i.e. stay competitive the whole game), and anything more is great. Saint Louis could really use a home win over Belmont -- the Billikens haven't proved anything yet based on the opponents it's taken down, but Belmont would be a respectable win. Belmont has been great shooting the ball but not so good defending the three. Hopefully Gibson Jimerson can shine for the Bills from behind the three.

A few other games worth noting today, too. St. Bonaventure looks for its 2nd win of the season after a long week off, and it's another game away from home. Trying to salvage a decent non-conference showing would include beating Canisius. George Washington faces Evansville -- the team that beat Kentucky -- and I don't like GW's chances after blowing a double digit lead to UMKC. Kenpom has Fordham as a 2 point underdog to Grand Canyon. VCU should continue to roll and hopefully destroy FGCU tonight.

Let me know your thoughts below. Register here if you haven't already (it's super easy and takes 30 seconds to do).

Didn't expect Massachusetts to make this much of a game, and hot shooting hasn't traveled with the Minutemen to Mohegan Sun. Obviously Virginia's defense will do that to you. On the bright side, down 13 with just 1 three point field goal isn't insurmountable. On the other hand, a 13 point deficit against UVA feels like 35.

Didn't expect Massachusetts to make this much of a game, and hot shooting hasn't traveled with the Minutemen to Mohegan Sun. Obviously Virginia's defense will do that to you. On the bright side, down 13 with just 1 three point field goal isn't insurmountable. On the other hand, a 13 point deficit against UVA feels like 35.
Well how about going on an 11-0 run to end the half and being down only 5 to kick off the 2nd?

A couple of key people on Virginia have 2 fouls already as well. Still not expecting a win, but keeping it close seems like a possibility now. Can hear the "home" (close enough to campus really) crowd going pretty crazy out there.

Well how about going on an 11-0 run to end the half and being down only 5 to kick off the 2nd?

A couple of key people on Virginia have 2 fouls already as well. Still not expecting a win, but keeping it close seems like a possibility now. Can hear the "home" (close enough to campus really) crowd going pretty crazy out there.

That was some awesome basketball to finish the 1st half. I know shots started falling, but my biggest takeaway was the intensity on defense. Forced 3 or 4 bad possessions in a row, and Virginia didn't even get a shot off on one of them. Now if a couple three pointers fall in the 2nd half, UVA could be on its heels.

This game's got my heart racing... a Carl Pierre corner three away from a tie game and an eruption from this crowd. Diakite is just a difference-maker when he's on the floor, and 2 easy lay-ups from Clark were the result of his screens.

All in all, pretty impressed with UMass. If a few more shots fall, that could be a 3 or 4 point ball game heading into the final minutes, but that's easier said than done when you're trying to get past Virginia's defense. I think the Minutemen could be a top half of the league A-10 team this year. The freshmen are proving they're as good as any in the league, and Carl Pierre is already a dangerous scorer. I wish Tre Mitchell got a few more shots in that 2nd half.

St. Bonaventure really struggling without Osun Osunniyi this year, but I'm wondering if a bit of "sophomore slump" is rearing its ugly head for this team. SBU is very young, and even with Osunniyi, this team did lose 2 significant contributing seniors last year, and that takes time to recover. I think the Bonnies will be better in conference play, but I'm not sure this is a top 6 or 7 Atlantic 10 team, even with the starting center back in the lineup.

I wonder if the Saint Louis free throw shooting epidemic is entirely mental at this point. Every broadcast talks about how hard SLU works on its execution at the line during practice, but that almost never materializes on the court. Do these guys need to start taking jumpers from the line? I really don't know

I wonder if the Saint Louis free throw shooting epidemic is entirely mental at this point. Every broadcast talks about how hard SLU works on its execution at the line during practice, but that almost never materializes on the court. Do these guys need to start taking jumpers from the line? I really don't know
I'm sensing other teams taking note and starting a "Hack a Billiken" mentality.

I'm sensing other teams taking note and starting a "Hack a Billiken" mentality.

It was like this all of last year too. I remember Pittsburgh fouling Hasahn French at the end of regulation, and it worked in the Panthers' favor. I wonder if French should start shooting granny-style or something. Obviously no one wants to do that, but he has to get softer shots on the rim.

In other news, this has been a very entertaining game.

It was like this all of last year too. I remember Pittsburgh fouling Hasahn French at the end of regulation, and it worked in the Panthers' favor. I wonder if French should start shooting granny-style or something. Obviously no one wants to do that, but he has to get softer shots on the rim.

In other news, this has been a very entertaining game.

Also, this feels in bad taste as Hasahn French is having one of the best games of his career... lol.

I think Hasahn French heard I was talking bad about his free throw shooting and decided to go off. I haven't seen one player so dominant in an Atlantic 10 game in a long time. He is doing literally everything, and he even made 3 straight free throws. What a special player.

I think Hasahn French heard I was talking bad about his free throw shooting and decided to go off. I haven't seen one player so dominant in an Atlantic 10 game in a long time. He is doing literally everything, and he even made 3 straight free throws. What a special player.
He has been incredible to watch tonight

Another top 100 Kenpom win for the Atlantic 10.

#40. LSU
#67. Connecticut
#68. Belmont
#77. Alabama
#83. Rutgers

At this point in the year, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Back