Atlantic 10 Non-Conference Grades: St. Bonaventure Bonnies

glabedz

Similar to the past couple of seasons, the Bonnies began their 2019-2020 campaign facing another injury bug. Jaren English missed the first five games of the season, a stretch in which the Brown and White went 1-4. Additionally, Osun Osunniyi, perhaps the most impactful player for Mark Schmidt’s squad, played only 11 minutes in the opener against Ohio before going down with an ankle injury. He went on to miss the next four contests before returning against Mercer. Since that point, St. Bonaventure is 7-1. With the non-conference portion of the season now in the books, let us now look at how St. Bonaventure fared during non-conference play.
Good Wins
Florida Atlantic – December 2
St. Bonaventure found themselves down 17 early on against the Florida Atlantic Owls, but the Brown and White clawed back to win 71 to 64. In doing so, the Bonnies found themselves crowned as champions of the Boca Raton Beach Classic and the legend of “Boca Bobby” Planutis was born. Welch had 15, Lofton...

Continue reading...

Rutgers is easily the best win since we didn't have Osun or English. FAU was nice to win a tournament, but we were down 17 to a mediocre CUSA team. A two-point loss to Vermont without Osun and English might actually be the third best result for us, all things considered.

We were never in the at-large conversation realistically, but beating a few more of these crappy OOC teams like Ohio, Siena and Canisius would have helped us in seeding or trying to get into the NIT. Unless we go like 16-2, we will probably be a 14 seed if we strike gold in Brooklyn.

Rutgers is easily the best win since we didn't have Osun or English. FAU was nice to win a tournament, but we were down 17 to a mediocre CUSA team. A two-point loss to Vermont without Osun and English might actually be the third best result for us, all things considered.

We were never in the at-large conversation realistically, but beating a few more of these crappy OOC teams like Ohio, Siena and Canisius would have helped us in seeding or trying to get into the NIT. Unless we go like 16-2, we will probably be a 14 seed if we strike gold in Brooklyn.
I’ll always prefer being a 14 seed over the play-in. That’s a 100 percent first weekend death sentence.

I’ll always prefer being a 14 seed over the play-in. That’s a 100 percent first weekend death sentence.

If we win A10s, we wouldn't be in the play-in unless we were a 16 seed. The four 12/13 seeds in Dayton (like us in 2018) are all at-larges. I can't see an A10 team ever being a 16 seed unless it was someone like GW, Fordham and St. Joe's. I feel like even UMass and La Salle would get a 15 seed.

Back