Atlantic 10 Bracketology & NET Ranking Implications

glabedz

The first release of this year’s NET Rankings was a pleasant surprise to A-10 fans. The conference currently has 3 teams in the top 25 and 7 teams in the top 75. Most surprising was Duquesne and Richmond now at 21 and 22 respectively, despite having relatively easy non-conference schedules. NET Rankings don’t mean everything though; at the end of the day, you do have to pick up quality wins to get into the field. However, the NET shows that some wins the A-10 has are actually considered quality wins. For example, Duquesne’s win over Indiana St. is actually a Q2 victory right now, and Wisconsin is a Q1 win for Richmond. Not to mention, the improvements the league has made as a whole means there are plenty of Q1 and Q2 opportunities left in conference play. Duquesne hasn’t played a Q1 game yet, but it will have chances against Dayton (x2), VCU, Richmond, Saint Louis, and Rhode Island.
In the...

Continue reading...

Can you refresh us (me) again on what defines a Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 win? Is it based off an opponent's RPI? Or their NET ranking? I know Home/Away factors into it as well. Thanks!

Can you refresh us (me) again on what defines a Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 win? Is it based off an opponent's RPI? Or their NET ranking? I know Home/Away factors into it as well. Thanks!

It’s based on other NET Rankings (so for example, a Q1 win is over 1-25 at home, 1-50 neutral, 1-75 on the road, etc.). If you go to the NET Rankings site, there’s a link at the bottom with team sheets that explains the quadrants. I don’t know exactly what goes into NET, but it incorporates type of win and has an efficiency metric. Obviously it’s not perfect (SDSU is #1 right now), but it is a tool used by the Selection Commuttee for team evaluation purposes. It’s also been very promising for the Atlantic 10 right now.

Yep, I'm familiar with it and all, just couldn't remember if NET or RPI was used to determine the quadrants.

Yep, I'm familiar with it and all, just couldn't remember if NET or RPI was used to determine the quadrants.

NET for sure. I’m hoping no one takes RPI seriously anymore since the NET was born. NET definitely has some shortcomings, but RPI is just bad when it comes to evaluating teams, especially at this point in the season.

NET for sure. I’m hoping no one takes RPI seriously anymore since the NET was born. NET definitely has some shortcomings, but RPI is just bad when it comes to evaluating teams, especially at this point in the season.
I use RPI as a quick way to get updates. Definitely not perfect, but it updates far more frequently than the NET Rankings do, and they're at least somewhat similar to each other.

Richmond winning last night is bigger than most people think. A loss last night, all but kills the Spiders shot at an at-large bid as drastic as that sounds. Thankfully they pulled it out, and now have Radford to worry about on Sunday.

Richmond winning last night is bigger than most people think. A loss last night, all but kills the Spiders shot at an at-large bid as drastic as that sounds. Thankfully they pulled it out, and now have Radford to worry about on Sunday.

You’re right about that. I saw that’s only a Q3 win for Richmond on the road (I would’ve thought it might have been Q2, but I forgot ODU is 3-8). Radford is also a “can’t lose” game. I think beating Alabama on the road is very possible too. Crimson Tide are turnover prone and make a lot of mistakes. Veteran defenders like Gilyard will know how to take advantage.

Back