Around the A10

Bill Russell

Post general A10 news and discussion here, please.

It has been a busy day today, so this is a good time to start this thread.

Dunn-Martin, who is exercising his extra year of eligibility, is returning to Duquesne.

GMU fires Dave Paulsen. Senior guard Javon Greene, consequently, has entered the transfer portal.

Not only that but it sounds like 3-4 more UMass transfers are happening.

Not only that but it sounds like 3-4 more UMass transfers are happening.
Either McCall/Kushner or Mooney is getting canned.

I'm not so sure UMass is a fantastic job or (or Mason) but Richmond should be much better than they have been with Mooney.

Are you kidding? If UR wins an NIT game they'll extend that guy til 2035. Consistently average results is apparently all UR expects.

Both make sense on a certain level. Kolek has 3 (CV 4?) good years ahead of him and can get a fresh start with Paulsen being shown the door. I wouldn't call GMU a dumpster fire just yet but they need to find their footing to be of any value to the A10, and quickly.

I do feel for Richmond fans. The loss of Sherod was no small matter, but they seemed positioned to overcome it. Enter a couple of bad losses, a covid pause and further injuries to Francis/Golden and the wheels fell off. A team of all juniors bound for the NCAA's a year ago (familiar?) with the rug pulled from them one year, and bit by the inury bug the next, would be a nightmare scenario. What makes it worse if you're a UR fan is that all of the above will serve as one giant excuse for why Mooney will be brought back. Hell, they won their NIT game last night without Francis and Golden- that'll be enough to extend Mooney.

I'd imagine at least a couple of those seniors will take the route of Fatts and use the extra year of eligibility to grad transfer to a p6.

I do feel for Richmond fans. The loss of Sherod was no small matter, but they seemed positioned to overcome it. Enter a couple of bad losses, a covid pause and further injuries to Francis/Golden and the wheels fell off. A team of all juniors bound for the NCAA's a year ago (familiar?) with the rug pulled from them one year, and bit by the inury bug the next, would be a nightmare scenario. What makes it worse if you're a UR fan is that all of the above will serve as one giant excuse for why Mooney will be brought back. Hell, they won their NIT game last night without Francis and Golden- that'll be enough to extend Mooney.

I'd imagine at least a couple of those seniors will take the route of Fatts and use the extra year of eligibility to grad transfer to a p6.

Agreed, CB3.

Much like with SJU a few years back, injuries derailed a potentially successful campaign. They were a fringe NCAA last year, but most likely an NIT club.

I believe Blake Francis has already said he won't be back to play his covid year next year. He's already a grad and life does have to start at some point. This raises the question of how many student-athletes will take advantage of that extra year of eligibility. It's a glorious thought that we could have our starting 5 for two more years, but drawing pro pay is quite a difficult lure to resist.

Golden is a grad student as well, I'd guess it might be the case for him, too. Makes sense with Francis considering he completed a transfer year.

I'm curious too, especially with current seniors that probably feel slighted by this backwards year. Life does need to go on as you say, but the added year gives regular 4 years guys (again ,like Fatts) an opportunity to grad transfer that normally wouldn't' have existed. Then, guys like TDM and Javonte Perkins (assuming they're on track to graduate this year) are tacking on one more year where they are. It'll be interesting to see which becomes the trend.

As far as our guys are concerned, I'm operating under the assumption they're all gone after next year and enjoying the ride.

Last edited:
Supposedly Siena's HC Carmen Maciariello is willing to leave his alma mater to go to Fordham. Would be an odd move on his part as he is only two years into his gig and Fordham is not exactly a great job.

IF he leaves, you have to wonder what the dynamic is in their athletic department.

Side note. Did not know the NCAA forced Siena to vacate 46 wins during Pastos' era due to THIS:
According to the NCAA investigation findings players were paid to athletes at least twice each academic year in the general ranges of $60 to $80 and $100

Maciariello, or "Carm" as Siena folk exclusively refer to him, would get a massive bump in pay at Fordham. Still, I agree it would be a bad long term move.

As for the NCAA ruling... what else do you expect? Siena vacates wins while Kansas, Oklahoma State, Arizona, and a host of other P5s blatantly hock loogies into the NCAA's face without consequence.

Can anyone explain why the A-10 put Bona and VCU in a hotel with others from the Ohio state basketball tournament? Sounds like we were on our own floors and had designated meeting rooms, but if I were VCU I would be furious. Don’t even get me started if Bona had to forfeit due to Covid because of the A-10 final.

Can anyone explain why the A-10 put Bona and VCU in a hotel with others from the Ohio state basketball tournament? Sounds like we were on our own floors and had designated meeting rooms, but if I were VCU I would be furious. Don’t even get me started if Bona had to forfeit due to Covid because of the A-10 final.
BECAUSE THE A10 is FUCKING CHEAP MAN.

I don't think you can discount that it may have been the referee from the title game. The BBF A10 page had some good thoughts from themselves and otherwise about the timeline, with ACC teams who tested out and then the ref working A10 final.

I don't think you can discount that it may have been the referee from the title game. The BBF A10 page had some good thoughts from themselves and otherwise about the timeline, with ACC teams who tested out and then the ref working A10 final.
I just find it odd they'd place both teams at the same hotel...I get both are close to the arena, but still not ideal.

I just find it odd they'd place both teams at the same hotel...I get both are close to the arena, but still not ideal.
Agreed. I had no idea until yesterday that both teams were at the same hotel, in addition to plenty of others in no way affiliated with the A-10. Seems like an odd decision to say the least.

Back