2022 Recruiting

How much are these guys really getting though?
I don't think most people realize how much some boosters are willing to pay to win. The system is total nonsense and has almost nothing to do with actual name/image/likeness value--never mind, you know, actual academics.

I heard Powell got upwards of $200k. I'm sure his name and likeness are really worth that much for 4-5 months in Pullman, WA.
Does anyone know how much are defecters got? I heard OO got an absurd amount, but it seemed too far fetched to be true?

Did we through any NIL $ towards our new transfers?

Two good things.......

Melian Martinez is coming for a campus visit today

Read a Tweet about a Bona NIL fund, which looks like good start

I hate to use the word business, but- until the NIL weeds clear and/or we build funding of our own, our roster DNA this year- whether on purpose or not, makes good 'business sense' in the landscape.

There's plenty of potential on this roster, but odds are we'll take some lumps this year. We'd have to really exceed any expectations, IMO, to be worried about losing someone after just this year to a mega NIL deal. Assuming we see some of the potential blossom into promise, it puts us in good position for the year after, even after inevitably losing a couple of guys.

We are paranoid with good reason of the NIL landscape, but important perspective is that the guys we lost to it this year didnt get there by only 1 year of accomplishments, accolades and recognition. A 2 year cycle of reload, succeed, reload is at least feasible.

I think when the free covid years are all gone, that will make a difference too. The portal was overloaded this year and there are tons of guys out there who are still looking for a home. There are a lot of lessons that are being learned right now and that should curtail some of the bloat. Also, once this new toy wears off a bit, I bet we see less money being thrown around as the ROI wont be there.

Plus who knows, maybe we get some kind of regulation in place sometime?

Does anyone know how much are defecters got? I heard OO got an absurd amount, but it seemed too far fetched to be true?

Did we through any NIL $ towards our new transfers?
Beat me to it. Given some of these figures being thrown around, I am certainly curious to hear about what out guys actually received.

Beat me to it. Given some of these figures being thrown around, I am certainly curious to hear about what out guys actually received.
I heard the three remaining seniors were each offered between $10,000 and $20,000 just to enter the portal before the deadline. That is obviously not allowed, but who the hell is regulating this lawless nonsense?

It's no coincidence that they landed where they did. Notoriously shady athletics departments. There were assurances all along that they were returning to SBU, so this is why I hold some ill will toward them.

#0 purportedly got at least $300,000. I haven't heard on #1 or #21.

Edit: The first paragraph above should not surprise anyone, as P5 schools have been doing this for years. In fact, there have been players (especially football) reminisce about being offered $15,000 just to visit SEC schools.

I feel less bad about Osun, bro. Sure, a promise is a promise, but 300K is 300K. Godspeed...

I feel less bad about Osun, bro. Sure, a promise is a promise, but 300K is 300K. Godspeed...
I get money is no object to a lot of these donors, but man, $300K for a one year player seems crazy.

Yeah this is funny money for college kids. I'm having a hard time holding this against them, except for the honor code type stuff, but this is life kickstart $ being thrown around.

Put yourself in this position. You tell your department chair you're coming back to lead some major finance project, great opportunity for the school and the program, and yourself. Then another school offers you $300K to enroll there for a final year, allegedly 4x the package SBU put together. Well? At 22/23 yo?

The perfect circumstances came together. It sucks. But $ talks whether we want it to or not.

I've tried to never be overly critical of a college hoops player in the past, at least publicaly. But now I dont care if a player is getting $3K or $300K they're now professionals, so when they miss easy shots, shoot sub 30% from 3, or just generaly underperform they deserve to be booed and all the criticsim they get.

I have not been keeping up to date with the G League, but is it still a safe assumption that $300k is way more than he’d make there? It sucks, but definitely a no brainer for about 99.9% of the poplulation to move for more green.

Meh. Those offers surfaced after they entered the portal (coerced by the aforementioned cash offers just to enter), so it wasn’t as if those deals were officially juxtaposed with the verbally agreed-upon Bona pacts.

Also, why wait until two days before the deadline? It isn’t as if the three seniors were mysteries to the rest of D1. One’s word matters. They’re certainly allowed to pursue the last-second cash offers, as they did, but I’m also allowed to consider their Bona legacies irreparably tainted.

Meh. Those offers surfaced after they entered the portal (coerced by the aforementioned cash offers just to enter), so it wasn’t as if those deals were officially juxtaposed with the verbally agreed-upon Bona pacts.

Also, why wait until two days before the deadline? It isn’t as if the three seniors were mysteries to the rest of D1. One’s word matters. They’re certainly allowed to pursue the last-second cash offers, as they did, but I’m also allowed to consider their Bona legacies irreparably tainted.

Yeah, I'm conflicted on the actual players, maybe time will heal, maybe not, but I'm gonna root like hell against Iowa State in 2022/2023, such a disgrace. Of all places too, its not like were talking about any blue bloods here

Im pretty sure the $300K #0 is rumored to be getting is higher than a guy in the G league.
Most players make about $35,000 a year. Players on a 2 way deal with a NBA club and a those 1 and done guys who dont want to go to college can make $125,000 in the G-league.

It looks to me that lasr season Anthony Lamb was paid $136 ,095 and the season before he was paid $215,330. I picked him because hes the only current 2 way player that I'm a aware of.

Jaylen Adams only made more Money 1 year when he was with the Bucks $449k range, than #0 is "rumored" to make next year.

My guess is at least #1, #5, #21 will also make more at their new schools than they would in the G league.

At least thats how I understand it.

Yes, the G League pays less than Walmart

I was at a G League game once and the G League player argued with the ref and got a technical. He apologized profusely and pleaded with the ref to change his mind because he couldn't afford the fine he was going to get on his small salary. I think he was half-kidding.

Per SBU Unfurled Melian Martinez, 6'10" 200 lb C has committed to St Bonaventure.

I am über excited. Melian, IMO is very agile, has great instincts and I believe will get PT based on his shot blocking and rebounding ability. His offensive game is not there yet, but when you see Melian size up a block, he is cat quick.

Back