2022 Recruiting

That is where I am puzzled. Holmes isnt going to the NBA and its doubtful he would improve his pro prospects abroad elsewhere and then you throw in the grad work opportunity at Bonas. Unless he is going to NW or Cuse? Whatever the reason, he deserves to do whatever is best for him.
There are big schools with bigger name "Journalism" degrees than Bona. Syracuse came to mind immediately (ugh) and then Northwestern.

I find it curious that he announced his entry into the portal relatively late. Taking into account comments that were made regarding Collins at SLU ("tampering" / a deal done before he made the announcement), I am interested to see how long it takes him to announce a new home.

Saint Peter's transfer Daryl Banks III is visiting this weekend. He poured in 27 against Kentucky in the Tourney, and at 6-3 is much bigger than I initially thought.

6-6 wing G Reggie Luis Jr. (2022) is also visiting, as scheduled.

Last edited:
Saint Peter's transfer Daryl Banks III is visiting this weekend. He poured in 27 against Kentucky in the Tourney, and at 6-3 is much bigger than I initially thought.

6-6 wing G Reggie Luis Jr. (2022) is also visiting, as scheduled.
Curious on your thoughts on these 2? Or Venning who will be visiting too?

Curious on your thoughts on these 2? Or Venning who will be visiting too?
I think Banks III and Luis would be really good additions. Banks has ONIONS and the thought of Luis at the top of the 1-3-1 gives me major blood flow. Venning is an absolute monster and won't get pushed around, but by November he'd probably be a backup on maybe every team in the A10.

#32 in white:

The staff has clearly been going hard for guards, but they really want a 4-man who's ready to start on day 1. They like Evans at the 4 long-term, but probably want to ease him in. I'm not sure he's a day 1 starter, although he can prove otherwise if he shows up and performs this offseason.

Edit to add: yes, I spent valuable Saturday time watching highlights of a November tilt between Grambling and Morgan State. The NBA stinks.

My sentiment exactly.

I am hoping Schmidt and co. will build this roster for continuity but also a la 2011-2012 with the capability and realistic expectation of going 8-9 deep with legitimate options off the bench. The 2012-2013 team with the vestiges of that tourney team minus Nicholson was full of talent. Many bad bounces and shitty officiating in certain arenas (see: Richmond) ruined that season's potential for another 18ish win season.

I am hoping Schmidt and co. will build this roster for continuity but also a la 2011-2012 with the capability and realistic expectation of going 8-9 deep with legitimate options off the bench. The 2012-2013 team with the vestiges of that tourney team minus Nicholson was full of talent. Many bad bounces and shitty officiating in certain arenas (see: Richmond) ruined that season's potential for another 18ish win season.

Totally agree, has to be more bench involvement this year. Can’t imagine Flowers and Banks signed on for limited to no PT.

Who do we think takes Holmes' spot at the 2?

I'd imagine it'd be Banks, but Flowers performed very well at Hartford. Have to imagine we might have a lot of guard-heavy lineups in '22-'23.

I wonder if the fact that the communications/journalism graduate programs offered at Bona's are only delivered online had any bearing on Holmes ability to stay or on his decision to enter the portal.

I haven’t heard anything more about Sy Chatman, GT from Illinois St, but he was supposedly going to be visiting and doesn’t appear to have signed elsewhere.

He’d be ready to contribute and make an impact right away and would raise next year’s ceiling, while Venning develops in a backup role. Hard to say though. Spending your last year as a mentor on a rebuilding squad, in the same conference you played in your first 2 years, may not be what he’s after.

Per breaking news from faffy444 on the BannedWagon:
Rokas Jocius will visit St. Bonaventure tomorrow through Friday. The 6'10" Lithuania native averaged over 8 points and 6 rebounds in two seasons for BC Perlas in the NKL. Jocius will turn 19 this summer and would be a freshman.
Staff leaving no stone unturned for the frontcourt.

We also have visits this week from 6'10 Pitt transfer Max Amadasun and 6'11 Detroit transfer and stretch 4 Noah Waterman.

I assume most of you saw it on Twitter but just in case, Yann Farell to the Bonnies

Also saw that Jocius, the Lithuanian kid the Bannedwagon thought was the next Jokic, signed with La Salle

Also saw that Jocius, the Lithuanian kid the Bannedwagon thought was the next Jokic, signed with La Salle
Good luck to the kid, have to imagine when Bonas just signed 2 transfers at the same position and have another 6'11 grad transfer visiting at the he saw the writing on the wall that playing time wasnt going to be easy to come by.

Yann Farrel is a home run.

I still liked Jocius, just saying. He had a unique skill set and would have given us another option at PF. I see Barry Evans and Yann Farrel seeing a lot fo the floor together.

I probably should change my moniker to naive bonnie, but I'm holding out hope that the staff have another ace up their sleeve. The two freshmen bigs from Wash State both look intriguing, but maybe looking for too much NIL, or maybe just heading back to WSU.

I took a quick look at Anquan Hill, 6'9" first team All Catholic in Philly, NEC Rookie of the Year.

Yann Farrel is a home run.

I still liked Jocius, just saying. He had a unique skill set and would have given us another option at PF. I see Barry Evans and Yann Farrel seeing a lot fo the floor together.

I probably should change my moniker to naive bonnie, but I'm holding out hope that the staff have another ace up their sleeve. The two freshmen bigs from Wash State both look intriguing, but maybe looking for too much NIL, or maybe just heading back to WSU.

I took a quick look at Anquan Hill, 6'9" first team All Catholic in Philly, NEC Rookie of the Year.
Watching Rokas Jocius' film, I've wondered if he was a defensive fit, given Schmidt's preferences. He could wind up being a good A10 center at La Salle, but the lateral foot speed and quickness didn't jump off the screen. It's hard to truly judge that stuff when you aren't watching in person, though.

Anquan Hill is our type of target in this shitty transfer portal era. Target established, up-and-coming D1 players from "lower" conferences. Target all-rookie and all-conference players from the NEC, AE, Patriot, CAA, Horizon, etc. Mix in some priority four-year guys like Rumpel, Evans, and Farrell, and that feels like a winning strategy for maintaining some semblance of roster continuity. With Hill, it also doesn't hurt that he's Schmidt's type of big. Long, spindly, and laterally quick.

We are still waiting on a Justin Powell update, and I expect us to hold one scholarship unless a grad transfer or two make up the final ride(s).

Watching Rokas Jocius' film, I've wondered if he was a defensive fit, given Schmidt's preferences. He could wind up being a good A10 center at La Salle, but the lateral foot speed and quickness didn't jump off the screen. It's hard to truly judge that stuff when you aren't watching in person, though.

Anquan Hill is our type of target in this shitty transfer portal era. Target established, up-and-coming D1 players from "lower" conferences. Target all-rookie and all-conference players from the NEC, AE, Patriot, CAA, Horizon, etc. Mix in some priority four-year guys like Rumpel, Evans, and Farrell, and that feels like a winning strategy for maintaining some semblance of roster continuity. With Hill, it also doesn't hurt that he's Schmidt's type of big. Long, spindly, and laterally quick.

We are still waiting on a Justin Powell update, and I expect us to hold one scholarship unless a grad transfer or two make up the final ride(s).
I would love a Powell and Hill signing, but doesn't that show us what the staff things of Rumpel, JNT and AM?

Obviously the bandwagon thinks Rumpel is an elite player who will be a cornerstone for our program for many years, but if we sign Powell, I find it hard imagining he gets more than a handful of minutes a night.

Also, if we sign Hill, who seems like he's a 4, that makes things complicated with Yann, Barry, JNT and AM.

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but I don't recall many years in which we had eight or more solid contributors. Luc, Flowers, Banks, Farrell, Evans, and Venning seem like they'd get a majority of the minutes at first glance. Throw in Powell and Hill/Waterman, and I don't see many minutes for the remaining guys.

Back