2020 Recruiting

Unfortunate, but understandable to see the Builder move on.

Also, English was a member of the A-10's All-Academic team, so his mom isn't that biased about his commitment to his studies. I'm not sure the last time Bona's had an All-Academic member who was a starter, without looking it up (how BW of me, I know).

Reactions: res
Thanks for the link agoo. Quick observation, we haven't had an all-defensive G since Marques Green. We need some lock down G's, and it might improve our consistently less than stellar 3-point D under Schmidt. I'm sure someone can find math geek numbers to prove me wrong but the eye test says teams that shoot well, *cough* Davidson *cough*, usually torch us from beyond the arc.

Bona's overall defense was mediocre, but was ranked higher in 3-point defense than 2-point (as measured by opponents' shooting pct.) and higher than overall defensive efficiency. Sorry if this combination of simple stats and "math geek" stats offends you.

The idea that opponents are constantly torching one's favorite team from the 3-point seems be ubiquitous on college basketball message boards across the country.

Nice work, Agoo. I'm surprised it goes that far back- I'd have guessed Nicholson was an all academic guy, but that's probably just my bias for (rightly) assuming anyone who majors in Chem minors in Physics is way, way smarter than me.

I knew you'd have some numbers up your sleeve res. We also play a lot of very poor 3 point shooting teams. I'd be curious how well teams fare vs. SBU in comparison to their overall season. There is no question, just watch game film, that we are susceptible to leaving shooters open beyond the arc.

Yes, as are most teams to one extent or another. My point is that we are worse, relatively speaking, at stopping the two. Why is no one harping on that? The defense needs to get better all around. I'm not particularly worried about the three.

Defense was definitely an issue. Again using kenpom data, our offense ranked 95th in Division I while defense was ranked #174. Looking at opponent percentages on 3's and 2's, our 3-point percentage allowed was ranked #156 while we came in #172 in 2-pointers. We did worse still in turnover defense (#247). I get confused whether that measures turnovers our defense created or what our offense allowed. I suspect it's the former, but someone who can find an explanation will probably correct me if I guessed wrong.

Three's are easier to notice when commiserating on defensive struggles. A 5 point lead that turns to a 1 point deficit due to back to back surrendered 3's is bound to stick out more than a lead that's chipped away at through points in the paint. Davidson game is a great example. Our memory is of a game in which Davidson murdered us from deep, which is true. And the quick hitter 3's allowed them to more quickly stretch a close game into a blow out. Look closely at the stats, though, and you see we also allowed about 61% from 2 that game. I see that, and then it starts coming back to me how many terrifyingly wide open back door cuts and lane floaters Davidson made that night, mixed in among their 3's.

Osun's absences from the lineup certainly contributed to the overall poor 2 point defense Res pointed out, but it's no doubt the issue was much deeper than that. Unfortunately there's no stat on times beaten off the dribble (that I'm aware of, anyway), but we got beat off the dribble A LOT. Whether it was slow rotation allowing for a large opening, or someone straight-up blowing by one of our guys, it seemed to be a bigger problem this year than I can recall in recent years. When you consistently allow the opponent past their first man, it's no great mystery as to how that can open up a host of further defensive struggles.

I saw the speculation by unfurled about Courtney’s cousin, but would we have interest in a 4 ppg/ 3 rpg transfer? I guess a 1 year grad transfer would not be the worst idea but didn’t know if anyone knew more about this.

Not only has our new recruit been dubbed "WORM II", but he will turn the Bonnies into a POWER HOUSE!

Reactions: res
Shouldn't last year's results have tempered this chest-pounding BEST CLASS EVER type of bullshit? We're gonna be awesome baby! We have a bunch of "X star" recruits that dominated the under 6' HS league they were in! It'll be Dion Who? after this guy suits up in the Brown and White!

-salty bastard

Don't forget that the other preferred walk-on, according to the Banned Wagon, "fills the need" of a "tall, classic PG", and will spell Lofton (he led the nation in MPG) 5-7 minutes for two years before taking over the team his Jr. and Sr. seasons.

This is probably rhetorical, but are there actually people - Bona fans - that believe the michelin man Conner Williams could ever suit up and be a valuable addition to the team? I get that size can't be taught, but apparently neither can putting down the fork.

This is probably rhetorical, but are there actually people - Bona fans - that believe the michelin man Conner Williams could ever suit up and be a valuable addition to the team? I get that size can't be taught, but apparently neither can putting down the fork.
But he’s local, so he must have a lot of upside. Durka durka durka!

You won't need me to tell you who crafted this post about potential transfer Pauly Paulicap. I quote:

"Clearly parley has talent. The idea of parley opting to join the Bonnies is prey exciting. Shoot, Shaw and Paulicapwould give coach Schmidt the opportunity to have a rested, legit shot blocker for the entire 40 minutes. I think paulicaps addition would allow coach to go uptempo for the whole game if he should chose to do so. Tough competition for parley s services. Hopefully we could get a nod from Rose, the jasper s Sid. The only thing I couldn t figure out from the article is how we would be his “hometown” team."

You won't need me to tell you who crafted this post about potential transfer Pauly Paulicap. I quote:

"Clearly parley has talent. The idea of parley opting to join the Bonnies is prey exciting. Shoot, Shaw and Paulicapwould give coach Schmidt the opportunity to have a rested, legit shot blocker for the entire 40 minutes. I think paulicaps addition would allow coach to go uptempo for the whole game if he should chose to do so. Tough competition for parley s services. Hopefully we could get a nod from Rose, the jasper s Sid. The only thing I couldn t figure out from the article is how we would be his “hometown” team."
I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you brought it up.....

I know PY is chuckling.

Back