2020 Recruiting

This is the type of grad transfer we should pursue as a Lofton backup for one year.

Sign a 2021 PG like JaVaughn Jones (Health Sciences in Buffalo) in November, and we’re in biz-nass.

I don't mean to be the pessimist of the group, but, this question needs to be asked- who the hell is going to be a backup point guard next year? I gave up on the pipe dream of signing a true blue PG willing to play 2 MPG for 2 years. In the past, however, we had guys like Stock, Mobley, Posley who could effectively run things through them in a dual role, during times in which Jay or Kyle were off the floor.

Last year, the prospect of Johnson playing point didn't exactly light your world on fire, but you knew he could have Tyrod Taylor'ed it for them in a pinch if he had to. For next year, though, who would that be? Unless AJ, English or Dom make transcendental leaps in their handle and other aspects of their game, it's not them. Adaway doesn't strike me as the type. Can Creal point forward it? Because, we're out of options after that.

Apparently it is English. I dont think anyone else could remotely handle it. I would have liked to bring in another PG but it was probably a tough sell to come play behind Lofton for 2-3 min or in case of emergency.

On those rare occasions when Kyle is not on the floor, someone with a good forward pass will inbound over the midcourt line to either Winston or Osun, who will leap high to receive the pass, then hand off to English. At that point we continue with one of the 30 or 40 plays in the Schmidt playbook that don't require active PG participation. I know readers here are more perceptive than on that other board, but I hasten to add that this is sarcasm.

On those rare occasions when Kyle is not on the floor, someone with a good forward pass will inbound over the midcourt line to either Winston or Osun, who will leap high to receive the pass, then hand off to English. At that point we continue with one of the 30 or 40 plays in the Schmidt playbook that don't require active PG participation. I know readers here are more perceptive than on that other board, but I hasten to add that this is sarcasm.
Even if Kyle is on the floor, we should just throw lobs!!! (mugs, dds)

Even if Kyle is on the floor, we should just throw lobs!!! (mugs, dds)
The one perk of the season ending early is that we didn't have to hear anyone saying that they should throw lobs to Shoon again. As though its just so easy as speaking it into existence.

Anyway - I'm hoping that the next step in Vasquez's development will be the ability to run the offense as a point guard. Maybe still in some overlapping minutes with Lofton at times, but anything to take some of the pressure and focus off of Kyle. I think English can be good enough as a secondary ball handler to help Kyle when there's full court pressure, but he doesn't look like he can run the offense for any extended period of time.

The less times we have to see English pace the offense full-court with a CYO arm guard dribble, the better off we all are.
English is sometimes a bull in the china shop. His brutal push off against URI when we had all the momentum late was because he didn't trust himself to straight up take it at his man. He also wears blinders near the hoop and can only see an orange circle with a net hanging from it. I really like him doing everything else he does, but he's not a full backup PG yet.

The obvious solution is Shaw and Shoon just set each other up with lob-dunks all game. They'll shoot 100%. We got this.

Nice observation. That “oh shit, I have the ball” dribble almost makes Rene Castro’s rhythmic (slapping) handle seem confident.

Nice observation. That “oh shit, I have the ball” dribble almost makes Rene Castro’s rhythmic (slapping) handle seem confident.
Rene the show me da munee the tomkrooz the brigit joenz same thing bub as the beard the cuba the cheese the communcast tv guy the castros who kilt Jack Kendadee Anfrenee the robert the bruce the scotland numbah fifting AR-15 is to his knicks name

And now Robert Carpenter announces his departure. Sorry to see him go. I had high hopes for him as a Bonnie, but wish him the best.

I was actually impressed with Johnson at point last season. Can’t blame him for not wanting to ride the bench his college career. I guess that makes English the backup, which frankly frightens me if we’re talking about any extended absence from Lofton.

Speaking of Jaren English, we should start getting used to calling him Jaren Holmes. I happened to sit next his mother at the final game of the season in St. Louis. Given how shitty that game was, we had a long time to talk. Apparently he is changing his last name to hers (Holmes). He also has a younger brother who plays minor league baseball for the Angels. Obviously she’s a little biased but he seems like a great young man who really takes his studies seriously. She said he LOVES bonas and the team. Is great friends with Kyle.

Reactions: res
Jaren's true shooting percentage last year was 56.2%, which is second best on the team and follows only Osun. It is top 400 in the country. His ability to get to the FT line is way better than any of his teammates' and ranks 119th in the country. Kenpom computes his offensive rating at 110.2, which is top 500 in the country and second only to Osun on our team. This was a tremendous pick-up for a team that badly needed help, but running point guard is just a bridge too far. Will the additional slot now open from Carpenter's departure be filled with a PG? It seems likely.

Back