2020 Recruiting

You should catch a Patriot League game, pal. Once you see American play Boston U., you'll never watch another MAAC game.

St. Peter’s freshman guard Aaron Estrada is transferring from Peacock Land, which is a shame for SPU and college basketball. However, our staff recruited him last spring. Having watched him quite a bit this season, I would be happy to take him at SBU in conjunction with a grad transfer PG.

Curious to know how much attention, if any, you pay to the MAC? Anthony Roberts from Kent State is in the portal and he visited 2 years ago, no idea whose decision it was but he didn’t pick us last time around.

I don’t watch as much MAC (those bloated monolith second-fourth level directional state schools depress me), but have seen Roberts a couple of times against UB. He’d definitely be a nice addition—especially as a sit out kid who’d then join the Vasquez/Winston/Carpenter class.

St. Peter’s freshman guard Aaron Estrada is transferring from Peacock Land, which is a shame for SPU and college basketball. However, our staff recruited him last spring. Having watched him quite a bit this season, I would be happy to take him at SBU in conjunction with a grad transfer PG.

Bona not on the early list that reached out, if Twitter is in any way accurate.

We survived the initial cutdown list for Prince Oduro
If you can’t contribute more than a point and a rebound per game at Mississippi State, which hasn’t been a national power, then my interest level is pretty low. SBU and the top half of the A10 play a pretty consistently high level of hoops, and it’s a huge misconception that such programs are way down in quality from the mid-to-lower P5s on a nightly basis.

Oduro should have stayed at Siena. As I always repeat... succeeding early on in one’s career shouldn’t be interpreted as a need to move “up”. It should be interpreted as the player/family making a wise decision from the get-go.

Having said that, I trust Schmidt and Curran. If they want Roberts and/or Oduro, then fine; however, we surely could use some instant contributions behind Lofton and Osunniyi—be they grad transfers, three-year JUCOs, or freshmen.

If you can’t contribute more than a point and a rebound per game at Mississippi State, which hasn’t been a national power, then my interest level is pretty low. SBU and the top half of the A10 play a pretty consistently high level of hoops, and it’s a huge misconception that such programs are way down in quality from the mid-to-lower P5s on a nightly basis.

Oduro should have stayed at Siena. As I always repeat... succeeding early on in one’s career shouldn’t be interpreted as a need to move “up”. It should be interpreted as the player/family making a wise decision from the get-go.

Having said that, I trust Schmidt and Curran. If they want Roberts and/or Oduro, then fine; however, we surely could use some instant contributions behind Lofton and Osunniyi—be they grad transfers, three-year JUCOs, or freshmen.

Could not agree more, stats at Siena were ok but he averaged like 5 mins a game at Hail State

I try to avoid all the premature ejaculation about recruiting, but I suppose it's not the worst thing to happen during a pandemic. We now have 3 open rides, so I'm wondering who we're salivating over. I can't really even figure out where AdAway (sorry I can't make that second upper case A go lower case) fits in the rotation, so I've got no clue what the key positions are we want filled. Our projected junior class looks really strong, so I guess we want to get a few more freshmen. The coach also seems to be comfortable with at least one incoming transfer sitting out the year. So what positions are we targeting for those other two and who are the most likely candidates? Just wondering...

We need another true point guard and a defensively capable center; from there, just pursue the best player(s) available.

Keep your eyes open for:

Jeremiah Williams
Anthony Roberts
Takorian “TK” Smith
AJ Staton
Abou Ousman
Jalen Haynes

As always, expect a kid or two to come out of the ether and sign.

We need another true point guard and a defensively capable center; from there, just pursue the best player(s) available.

Keep your eyes open for:

Jeremiah Williams
Anthony Roberts
Takorian “TK” Smith
AJ Staton
Abou Ousman
Jalen Haynes

As always, expect a kid or two to come out of the ether and sign.

Ousman to the Mean Green of North Texas 😳

Ousman to the Mean Green of North Texas 😳
Yeah. He has an intriguing and physical interior game, but maybe this isn’t a bad thing. Rhody didn’t treat him properly by taking the Mitchell twins a few days after accepting Ousmane’s commitment, but still... it’s a red flag when you commit to three different schools in one cycle.

Ohio to Rhode Island to Texas with a rapidly staccato-like pattern? It’s a safe bet that Mean Joe Green’s alma mater won’t be Abou’s final stop.

I’d be lying if I said I was anything but utterly confused by the addition of Eazy Eddie Creal. It’s a position of solid depth and a 2022 class that is beyond crowded.

Having said that, welcome to SBU, Eddie. You’re one of us now, so let’s party!

I’d be lying if I said I was anything but utterly confused by the addition of Eazy Eddie Creal. It’s a position of solid depth and a 2022 class that is beyond crowded.

Having said that, welcome to SBU, Eddie. You’re one of us now, so let’s party!

Does this signing in any way give a clue into Jeremiah William’s upcoming decision in your opinion? Seems like Williams is a combo 2/3 from what I’ve read....but we only have 2 and are we all still basically in agreement backup PG and big are the priorities?

I'm even more confused than Bill Russell. I guess you always want to get a good under-the-radar athlete, and Eddie looks like he fits into that category. However, I was already wondering how time was going to be divided between Adaway and Welch. English gave us some flexibility last year, so maybe we have a few more players who can easily slide over to another role. The only given seems to be that when Lofton is playing (over 95% of available minutes last year), he's running the show. Looking forward to reading what others think about the guard rotation and what the future holds with such a large slate of juniors next year.

How does Adaway profile? I couldn’t find many videos of him from his Miami days, but he looked pretty athletic in high school.

If he turns out to be a solid contributor who gets minutes, does that mean AJ is the odd man out?

How does Adaway profile? I couldn’t find many videos of him from his Miami days, but he looked pretty athletic in high school.

If he turns out to be a solid contributor who gets minutes, does that mean AJ is the odd man out?
I can’t see Alejandro being the odd man out. However raw he was as a freshman, he was also one of the only guards who could create his own shot. That kid is a bull at the rim, and that step back jumper oozes potential. Stick with AJV.

Back