2020 #BonaCup Thread

BonaCommenter

We mentioned it in the SBUnfurled and Friends podcast thread, but the 2020 Bona Cup tipped off tonight. 12 teams are vying for the all-time greatest Bona team as crowned by a couple guys with NBA2k, microphones and too much time on our hands!

EFmEkq2.png

2016 played 2012 tonight. Watch it below if you don't want spoilers. Fast forward to 2:00 for the pregame show to start and 5:30 if you don't wanna hear us babble for the pregame.

2016 beat 2012 102-92, led by '16 Adams with 37 points and 9 assists. Nicholson had like 29 points, 25 boards, but it was a one-man show for 2012, just like we saw quite a lot during that season, especially before March.

Jesus, just tell me who wins the the whole goddamn thing. Don't make sit through all the drama. I'm already devastated about the whole TBT thing.

Jesus, just tell me who wins the the whole goddamn thing. Don't make sit through all the drama. I'm already devastated about the whole TBT thing.

I 100% guarantee St. Bonaventure wins. Just watch, there won't be any real sports in the US for months, fuck what the NBA/NHL/MLS think they're gonna do...

NASCAR, baby. Watch out for that Byron kid in the 24 car.

Its funny to read how former players are paying attention. There was a fun exchange on Twitter between Matt Wright, Conger(s) and Kloof during the 2012-2016 game

Hey, guys, I had an idea for a follow-up when the current tournament is finished. The 1986-87 team vs. the 2004-05 team from the old courts outside the RC. Best of six. DeCarli and Solomon mano a mano for a tiebreaker, if necessary. Run it by Lester, I'm sure he'll buy in.

(I kid, I kid. You guys have your simulations to keep you busy, I'm struggling all the time for new snark.)

HUGE GAME TONIGHT.

The Battle of Unfinished Dreams! The 2016 snub squad vs. the 1970 Final Four team! 8 p.m. eastern!

2016 player Caleb McGuire is also joining us for the first half.

Well, the B*ndwag*n wet dream matchup will happen in the RC next Monday. 1970 held off 2016 and 1961 took down the new guys. Thanks for the memories, Butler Gym...

The Olean Armory regional has 2 really intriguing games. 2018 and 2002 deserves to be a video game because these teams have like 6 good 3 point shooters (Adams, Mobley, Stockard, Bremer, Green, Prato).

1968 vs. 2000 is a fascinating old school/new(er) school showdown. The sophomore Dobber will lead the Iron 5, but we saw a great performance by Caswell Cyrus against 1983...

It's no wet dream. 1961 and 1970 are the two best Bona teams ever. I really don't think it's close, but I know that opinions are like assholes--especially when it comes to the subject of sports.

It's no wet dream. 1961 and 1970 are the two best Bona teams ever. I really don't think it's close, but I know that opinions are like assholes--especially when it comes to the subject of sports.

Oh, don't get me wrong, they absolutely are two of the best. Just making the usual joke that basketball over there is still stuck in the 70s in their minds.

2018-2002 was INSANE. 2002 was up 10 in the first half, lead was quickly erased. 2018 eventually had a 20-point lead with about 4 minutes to go, before Marques Green and Patricio "The Devil Wears" Prato went HAM and cut it to within 3 points with about 15 seconds. Green had a couple corner threes in the final possession, but they couldn't fall and 2018 survives.

The final Reilly Center ticket is punched tonight and it's a battle of very different eras! 1968 vs. 2000. The Iron Five should get a tough matchup against 2000's tough defense. 2000 probably had the best performance in the first round with a relatively comfy win over 1983. It'll be interesting to see how well Caswell Cyrus will fare against sophomore Bob Lanier. Also, 1968 is the higher seed, so no three pointers...

8 p.m. tonight!

I gotta say, line of the #BonaCup so far... "Was that the year Duquesne had those twins who were brothers?"

Back